Plasti dipping the center console and trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hipnotikrcr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So when I bought and installed the full floor center console, the trim was lighter than what was originally there. With the difference in color, figured I would just plasti dip the trim around the air vents, the radio bezel and the center console top to match.

I started with the vent trim and the "chrome" accent.

Original color of the vent trim:

picture.php

After 3 coats of charcoal plasti dip:

picture.php

Initial "chrome" accent for the center console:

picture.php

After 3 coats of black plasti dip, before the graphite metalizer:

picture.php

Hoping to get the rest done this weekend, depending on the FL weather and the heat.

jssmith76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good man. I did the shifter ring a couple weeks ago too. Got tire of getting blinded by the Arizona sun reflection. Can't wait to see the final product installed!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

draken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Looks good man, are those all easy to take off? Would you give a short tutorial on how?

OP
OP
H

hipnotikrcr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good man, are those all easy to take off? Would you give a short tutorial on how?

Which pieces? All of the trim? For the most part it is fairly easy. Just need to be patient with the trim around the vents as the entire section (vent and headlight switch) comes out. I'll see if I can take some more pics and point out how I removed them. The "chrome" trim is fairly easy to pop off

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lol sucker! You got stung by the plastidip bug. Im addicted to that stuff and love spraying anything i can get my hands on. I usually do stuff for free just to do it.
But seriously the metalizer should make that trim look pretty good. You might want to look into DipCoat by DipYourCar (DYC). Supposed to make the dip last longer, look better, and have a smoother overall texture

OP
OP
H

hipnotikrcr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol sucker! You got stung by the plastidip bug. Im addicted to that stuff and love spraying anything i can get my hands on. I usually do stuff for free just to do it.
But seriously the metalizer should make that trim look pretty good. You might want to look into DipCoat by DipYourCar (DYC). Supposed to make the dip last longer, look better, and have a smoother overall texture

LMAO!! First time plastidipping anything so we'll see how it goes with all of this FL heat and humidity.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
LMAO!! First time plastidipping anything so we'll see how it goes with all of this FL heat and humidity.

I was skeptical about it at first. Did my badges first with rattle cans. Two weeks later, my truck was tastefully dipped using gallons and a spray gun! Haha its a fun bug to catch. If you like it, check out the DYC forum

OP
OP
H

hipnotikrcr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For reference, this is a pic of when I first installed the center console:

picture.php

And now, after being dipped:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Depending on how it all holds up, I might pull it all off and respray it when it gets cooler this fall/winter.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Depending on how it all holds up, I might pull it all off and respray it when it gets cooler this fall/winter.

Why do you want to peel it off already? Job go wrong as far as the finish?

Maverick Torch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How difficult was it to wire through that console for your auxilary switches? I want to add a switch where the business card holder goes but not sure how to remove the console etc...thank you

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Any updates on this? Can you post a link to the colors you used along with a close up pic? Thanks

rob2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did this to the center console chrome border with regular paint and it came out awesome, make sure you guys clean it up really good before spraying and it should turn out good.