Please help! Key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigMikeD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm on my 4th Ram. I absolutely love these trucks! My most recent is a 2018 and it's 99.99% perfect! Unfortunately this overly sensitive key fob is going to cause me some problems. Half the time I put the key in the ignition it sets off the alarm. I travel for work so I'm in hotels and airb&b's in neighborhoods and I had to work early. I know I've ****** off the other residents with this so please help! Tusks in advance.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Sounds like it is setting off the panic alarm. The button is on the tip of the key that is inserted into the ignition. Is there something in the ignition module hole that might be pushing the button? Is the hole mis-shapened in some way? Does it do this with both FOB's?

Wayne Stella

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My fob is acting strange too. Sometimes, not always, when I take the fob out of the ignition the panic alarm goes off. I hit the red panic button on the fob and it shuts off. Any ideas?

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As was said above, see if it does the same using the 2nd fob, if not it most likely an issue with the 1st fob.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
pull the key fob apart and clean the circuit board/contact area for the buttons, use isopropyl alcohol.
You could put a piece of electrical tape over the contacts for the panic button. The button won't work but you accidentally set the alarm off either.

Jrh2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I'm on my 4th Ram. I absolutely love these trucks! My most recent is a 2018 and it's 99.99% perfect! Unfortunately this overly sensitive key fob is going to cause me some problems. Half the time I put the key in the ignition it sets off the alarm. I travel for work so I'm in hotels and airb&b's in neighborhoods and I had to work early. I know I've ****** off the other residents with this so please help! Tusks in advance.
My 2017 does the same thing. Sets off the alarm inserting the fob into the ignition. My in-laws already think I’m a lunkheaded clutz, and lucky as hell just to be associated with them. When we’re leaving their house at midnight it is a pucker situation just starting the truck. I took one of my fobs apart and cleaned it real well, according to instructions on this forum, but it didn’t help. I also tried the electrical tape between the red rubber and the touch sensor beneath it. Only made it worse. There seems to be a pressure element to these controls and not just an open/close sensor. I left the rubber piece off when I reassembled it, and that helped, but if was too easy for a key in the key ring, or a coin or screw or some other metal I might have in my pocket to short the sensor.

It used to be that when a car alarm went off on my street, people took the time to check it out. Not so much anymore. What an incredibly stupid place to put the panic button…in the section that you slide into the ignition to turn in the truck. I don’t get it. Remember that board game called ‘Operation’? it’s like taking out the wrenched ankle….only in reverse.

At the end of the day, I use my manual key now. I tell people it’s vintage.

Last edited:

MJCs18Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I too have a key fob issue. I had three when I bought the truck new. I lost one, seldom used one (my spare), and the third works great. The seldom used one works intermittently. I took it apart, re-centered the metallic discs, cleaned the contacts on the circuit board, installed a new battery and it worked for a few days. Now, if I use it to unlock/lock the doors it sometimes will start the truck. Sometimes I have to re-enter the fob 180-degrees and it will start, and sometimes the dash message says "wrong Fob". I read somewhere on a Forum, if the doors lock and unlock, the fob is communicating with the truck.
If the lock/unlock fob internal discs are off center and making connection, and the battery goes completely dead, does the fob still stay programmed, or does it loose part of the programming? The lock/unlock always works. Are there any operating or troubleshooting instructions in any repair manuals you can share?