ported TB specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is about some specs, NOT about whether they "work" or not.

Need some help here with some specs and maybe I'm off in my thinking, but this is what I understand:

Stock TB Blade is 80mm? or is it 85?

With a 85mm ported TB the BLADE opening is the same the blade is the same, just the areas in the TB leading to and away from the blade are ported via CNC machine to 85mm

87mm some thing only yeah, 87mm
Both are modified stock TBs.

This increased area is where the increase in throttle response comes from, and some gains across the board.
SO the actual opening is the same, and the TB mounting bolt holes aren't changed, so they bolt right on.

A 90 mm is actually a 90mm opening with a 90mm blade and some machining can be required ( such as on the 6.1 hemi cast intake) for proper fitment.

I don't know if they start life as a stock TB....there is only so much metal that can be removed safely.

Also, 90 mm is overkill for most N/A builds and even some boosted apps.

It also is/can be a PITA to tune, depending on the use.

I'm confident about the info I laid out, cept for the stock TB blade size. getting older, CRS sometimes

Last edited:

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
stock is 80mm. A 90mm does not start as a 80mm it is made as a 90mm.

I think that is all you are asking?

OP
OP
R

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, yep just couldn't remember if it was a 80 or 85 mm blade.

I also posted as I have more than a few conversations where folks believed the 85mm or 87 mm meant a the TB was also replaced with a bigger one.