Possibly stupid question, tread lightly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a possibly dumb question but recently I’ve wondered so thought I’d ask. My truck sits outside and on mornings where it has frosted over or iced over and I have to defrost the windshield etc I am getting a ton of moisture and condensation on the inside of the windshield. Enough I have to wipe it off to see. Is that normal? I’ve had other vehicles that sat outside and I don’t remember that from them. Should I check seals or is it just the size or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jst42ln

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 02 did that years ago. Turned out the 3rd break light was leaking. Underside of carpet was soaked. Had to take it out and let it dry good. And fixed the light. Just someplace to start

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My heater always has a slight coolant smell to it and my RAM is quick to fog windows, but I have no leak and no wet carpet.

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve dealt with the 3rd brake light leak before but have switched lights and hoped this new gasket was ok. Guess I’ll have to redo it and see how it goes.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Even water on the floor mats will do that. I live in a humid environment so it does that any cold morning. Defroster evaporates it pretty quick once it's warm, but occasionally I wipe it with a paper towel to speed up the process. If you have rubber mats it's a good idea to take them out on a warm day and let the carpets dry.

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in Arkansas. It’s pretty humid. And I do have the rubber mats. In the past when the 3rd brake light leaked I could feel it on the seat and headliner.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You could also check your door seals.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Everyone covered the basics of door seals and third light. Maybe go find yourself and dehumidifier that runs on batteries and see if it helps.

Use is high quality window cleaner and clean the windows really well. I just detailed my truck yesterday and this morning my windshield was clear. I notice after a bit it gets a film on it. A good cleaning takes that away and maybe less for moisture to cling onto

My two cents [emoji6]

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe teenagers are making out in it at night. Set up a camera.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I live in Arkansas as well and if it's any consolation... my RAM has had moisture inside and my work car is a 2017 Kia Forte and it's been just as wet inside. This winter has been really wet.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I live in Arkansas as well and if it's any consolation... my RAM has had moisture inside and my work car is a 2017 Kia Forte and it's been just as wet inside. This winter has been really wet.

Maybe the cabin filters are getting saturated and evaporating into the dash ?

H8Train

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine did that but thankfully i realized it was the third brake light quickly before a lot of damage could be done. I would look there.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Do you have the defrost on fresh or recric?

OP
OP
Mudder

Mudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I had it on fresh

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A few weeks back had a number of days of rain and above freezing temps and just getting in and out of truck left a lot of moisture on the mat. Temps dropped to around freezing one night and had inside of windshield coated with frost. I just let defroster do its thing and once the interior dried out a bit everything was back to normal.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Obviously you are experiencing moisture build-up inside the vehicle. Leaks, of course, are often causes, but the ambient air humidity should be monitored to determine if environmental conditions are in play. For example, on rainy overnights in the summertime I get the same symptom. In the wintertime if my floor mats or carpet collects too much water I'll have the same thing. Parking on an incline may have an effect if water builds up in the cowl and doesn't drain out. In fact, on my Dakota the cowl drains got clogged by house roofing material once and I had a severe case of moisture build up in the truck.

Best regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 073373 miles.

Oilman77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
This happened to my work car (vw Jetta) ac drain pipe was plugged up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88