Preowned PW Query

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VikeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hi there!
I know this is a HUGE long shot, but looking at a White 2017 with a sketchy owner history. It has 5 owners with the last couple being less than a few months with 1 being only 7 days.
Anyone out there know anything about VIN ending in 772397.
History shows it has bounced around quite a bit NC to TX to CO to TX to KY now coming to MN.
A salesman friend looked at the Carfax and said steer clear thinking it has serious issues. The actual salesman is playing it off as a series of transactions gone bad, of course.
Image attached for attention.
dd246a38dd1d46fae4d75bf911969d13.jpg
Thanks!

Last edited:

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
If that history doesn't say run away from this, nothing will!

It's a 7yo truck with who knows what kind of service history, if any, and it's likely been fleeced to the max by irresponsible owners.

It has no warranty left either, and no aftermarket warranty will be worth its weight in dung for the likely scenario you'd face being the next owner in line.

That's just my opinion though.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id have a private party vehicle inspection done on it, AFTER i looked it over closely and took it for a test drive and didnt notice any real issues myself.

OP
OP
VikeFan

VikeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah I've already asked for an extended test drive to verify it will fit in my garage so I was planning on bringing it to my local mechanic. Thanks for the tip!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'd Definately be doing compression tests, checking for engine codes with a scanner seeing if there were any history codes that don't illuminate the cel. Personal opinion, spend a few extra $$ and get a better unit. Yes it may be cheaper than something else but an engine is $11k now? Tranny is probly 6? End of the day one of those goes you're not saving anything. I'd be walking.

OP
OP
VikeFan

VikeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'd Definately be doing compression tests, checking for engine codes with a scanner seeing if there were any history codes that don't illuminate the cel. Personal opinion, spend a few extra $$ and get a better unit. Yes it may be cheaper than something else but an engine is $11k now? Tranny is probly 6? End of the day one of those goes you're not saving anything. I'd be walking.
So you think even with an extended warranty it's too much of a risk? I never buy without the warranty.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
You always take a chance buying something that is used. Transmission issues is a thing for these trucks mine didn’t show any signs until it let go. The motor has been good but I am a little **** about my oil changes. Plus I use oil conditioner i don’t know if it’s working but I have 230k kms and no issues yet. Knock on wood

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP< Run, I say again Run. No history, out of warranty, sketchy history, the hairs on the back of your neck is all U need to know. And trying to rely on a warranty to get chit fixed: If U not original owner, and not like the 7th, RUN OMG RUN !!!!!.

If not, the old Devil sitting on yer shoulder saying: "I told U so"..

Salesman telling U not to worry, just transaction stuff, BS. He just trying to make a sale. But Yer money, do as U see fit.

ffeeee.JPGprivacy.JPG

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You salesman friend, all the other guys that have posted and your gut are right. One more vote for "Not if it was free would I take that truck". Ram does not have the greatest reliability track record to start with, anything but a meticulously maintained one or max 2 owner pickup, would never get a second look.

17Ramguy78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hi there!
I know this is a HUGE long shot, but looking at a White 2017 with a sketchy owner history. It has 5 owners with the last couple being less than a few months with 1 being only 7 days.
Anyone out there know anything about VIN ending in 772397.
History shows it has bounced around quite a bit NC to TX to CO to TX to KY now coming to MN.
A salesman friend looked at the Carfax and said steer clear thinking it has serious issues. The actual salesman is playing it off as a series of transactions gone bad, of course.
Image attached for attention.
View attachment 540495
Thanks!
There are more and more being sold everyday, I would steer clear.

RickyJ108

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take the vin to another dealer and ask if they have any history on it? Any work done by a dealer will show up in their system. I did that for a 1500 i was looking at they told me too run.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
So you think even with an extended warranty it's too much of a risk? I never buy without the warranty.
Honestly extended warranty doesn't cover downtime without a vehicle, the heartache of being stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck or worse... They may warranty it sure but I like the convenience of owning a newer vehicle and not always having that thought in my head waiting for the gremlins to show.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Honestly extended warranty doesn't cover downtime without a vehicle, the heartache of being stuck on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck or worse... They may warranty it sure but I like the convenience of owning a newer vehicle and not always having that thought in my head waiting for the gremlins to show.
^^^^^ THIS!!!!

OP
OP
VikeFan

VikeFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Just realizing I neglected to mention a couple key details. The last 3 owners appear to be dealers kicking it around in auctions and it only has 58K miles, so that's where the hesitation is coming from on walking away.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Just realizing I neglected to mention a couple key details. The last 3 owners appear to be dealers kicking it around in auctions and it only has 58K miles, so that's where the hesitation is coming from on walking away.
I'd still be quite reticent on this purchase... that's my $0.02.
The way you're pursuing this leads me to believe that you feel this is a good deal for you.

I would heed the input from those experienced members here and run from this opportunity you seem to feel is good.

You came here asking for our unbiased and experience opinion on. So, take it and move on to a better opportunity is my recommendation!

Failing this, buyer beware!!!!!!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I'd still be quite reticent on this purchase... that's my $0.02.
The way you're pursuing this leads me to believe that you feel this is a good deal for you.

I would heed the input from those experienced members here and run from this opportunity you seem to feel is good.

You came here asking for our unbiased and experience opinion on. So, take it and move on to a better opportunity is my recommendation!

Failing this, buyer beware!!!!!!
Or do what you are fighting hard to justify and buy it despite what we have said. Come back in 6 months and tell us how it worked out. We could all be wrong, and if you buy it, I TRULY hope we are.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Or do what you are fighting hard to justify and buy it despite what we have said. Come back in 6 months and tell us how it worked out. We could all be wrong, and if you buy it, I TRULY hope we are.
Truer words never spoken, Brother!
I'm happy to eat crow if a fellow enthusiast nets positive results regarding this particular thread!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Truer words never spoken, Brother!
I'm happy to eat crow if a fellow enthusiast nets positive results regarding this particular thread!
Absolutely. Just got back from driving mine to the range and back. Can't wipe the smile off my face after driving that thing. I have owned, and still own, some seriously high perfomance cars, but this pickup is just way too much fun. Massive size and tremendous performance both on and off road despite it being so damn big. I hope everyone gets to enjoy that experience.