Projector Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cereb6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have factory projector headlights and they are not bright enough at all. I bought aftermarket LED bulbs and it helps some but is still not as bright as I expected. Is there another light assembly or bulb that I can get that is near as bright as factory LED's? Thanks.

FmsTgun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the projector keeps them from being as bright as they should. I have projection headlights on my 2018 sport and swapped em for LED's expecting a super bright outcome. I was disappointed to say the least. I have set the headlights a bit further down and it helped but they are not as bright as my LED fog lights.

OP
OP
cereb6

cereb6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What is the difference between HID's and LED's? I may try lowering them a tad and switching the bulbs out in the foglights. That may help since I still have the factory ones in the foglights.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Hid are brighter and have better color choices than led. 4-5k is where the eye is most sensitive. Projectors control the glare from HID so oncoming traffic friendly.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Any suggestions on brands? I want to do all the front including fog lights.
Mirimoto makes a quality HID kit.

Do led in the fogs. Hid will have excessive glare in a reflector housing.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I use a Morimoto HID kit in my projectors. Really great combination for light quality, distance and color.

My CTD is the third Ram I've owned that I've used these kits and I've experienced no failures.

Well...maybe one but that wasn't the HID kit's fault...

14 34.jpg

14 66.jpg

Yup...that day really sucked....

Reactions: JB1

Riderone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put HID's in my 2016 projectors and kept getting flashed by oncoming traffic. I lowered the beam some but still got flashed. Ended up pulling them and going back to halogen so as to not blind the oncoming traffic.

spdfrkaby

Reaction score
Ram Year
'13 CC Sport
Engine
Only true way to get good output is with a retrofit. My '13 came with factory projectors but the cutoff wasn't there with just hid drop-ins. I opened the housing and put FX-R projectors in it with Morimoto D2S HID bulbs. You get the the width and reach.

With the FX-Rs on high beam and the additional LED drop-in for the separate high beam housing it's like landing on a runway at night. The only think is next time I'd go a little lower on the kelvin scale. I have 5500k now and its a little too blue for me.

OP
OP
cereb6

cereb6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What about changing headlight assemblies altogether? Maybe taking the projectors out and installing reflector type aftermarket headlights with LED's?

Kickkem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.2 318
I have non factory reflector headlights, bought some 4 light LEDs and they suck. Beam is all scattered because the reflectors have a hood which bounces the light back on the reflector part and so all he reflector parts scatter the light. I put a incandescent bulb in one and it is way cleaner and brighter. I hear you can tune the LEDs but that was a two light unit, not four.

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I went with Headlight Revolution's GTR 6000k w/ 55 watt ballasts for the projectors and their CSP mini LEDs for the highs and fogs. Way brighter

Second the GTRs. Awesome quality and output. And a super easy install, all it has is the bulbs and resistors... true plug & play

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put HID's in my 2016 projectors and kept getting flashed by oncoming traffic. I lowered the beam some but still got flashed. Ended up pulling them and going back to halogen so as to not blind the oncoming traffic.
I got that a lot also. So I parked the truck running with HIDs and 5000k fogs on just so it would be as bad as could be. Then jumped in my mercedes c280. Average car height....and drove by my truck over and over from a couple feet away to damn near rubbing it. Lesson learned: if you stare directly at the driver Hid, for just a brief moment, a bright glint is the worst that you get. **** in my truck im feeling blinded by Cars a lot of times.

So the solution is pretty straight forward. Just like in the license manual, glance down and to the right when passing oncoming traffic. And install a second pair of 55w 6000k highbeams so when some guy is flashing you because your light is white, show them what the sun looks like at 10pm. (Don't do that. I really want to, really, but the simpleton would probably steer towards the shiny object)

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got that a lot also. So I parked the truck running with HIDs and 5000k fogs on just so it would be as bad as could be. Then jumped in my mercedes c280. Average car height....and drove by my truck over and over from a couple feet away to damn near rubbing it. Lesson learned: if you stare directly at the driver Hid, for just a brief moment, a bright glint is the worst that you get. **** in my truck im feeling blinded by Cars a lot of times.

So the solution is pretty straight forward. Just like in the license manual, glance down and to the right when passing oncoming traffic. And install a second pair of 55w 6000k highbeams so when some guy is flashing you because your light is white, show them what the sun looks like at 10pm. (Don't do that. I really want to, really, but the simpleton would probably steer towards the shiny object)
My camera really over exaggerates the light. I tried to show that with the picture of the end of road reflection
So, bear that in mind. Its not blinding. When I pull up behind cars, I notice my beam cutoff is about exactly at the top of their trunk lid. So the world is gonna have to except that good white light is just how things are going to be

20200721_215749_01.jpg

20200721_214941.jpg

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
My camera really over exaggerates the light. I tried to show that with the picture of the end of road reflection
So, bear that in mind. Its not blinding. When I pull up behind cars, I notice my beam cutoff is about exactly at the top of their trunk lid. So the world is gonna have to except that good white light is just how things are going to be

View attachment 216681

View attachment 216682
You say your cut off is on trunk lid when you pull up behind, it should be, your almost at ground zero..... Where is your cutoff on the cars at 25 ft out?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk