PSA: Do Not Buy Tuff Country Lift Kits for Ram 1500's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
Hi all,

I've had a few guys message me in the past about Tuff Country's 4" lift kit for 4th gen Ram 1500's (PN: 34105) and whether or not it was a good kit to buy. I have now seen pictures of this kit installed and hear the issues the owner is having with it and it has fully confirmed my thoughts on the kit from looking at the pictures and description of its components. So to try to clear the air and avoid future Ram owners from being deceived by this kit and it's false advertising I felt the need to post this thread.

DO NOT BUY THE TUFF COUNTRY 4" LIFT KIT. This is not a proper lift kit; it is a glorified leveling kit at most.

34105_zpstdkwsngu.jpg

It essentially stacks a spacer type leveling kit with a preload spacer to achieve 4" lift. They do provide new uni-ball upper A-arms which is about the only thing they did right however it is a bandaid fix for their lift as they do not address front suspension geometry in any way.

• They do not include front differential drop brackets to correct the CV shaft angles. With this kit installed 4wd will become useless as the CV shafts will likely snap as soon as the truck is put into 4wd if they do not do so beforehand.
  • They do not provide lower A-arm drop brackets and longer steering knuckles to provide the proper angles for the front suspension to maintain a quality ride.

Their claim of "maintains factory ride" is in no way true as this lift will ride like a tank with the A-arms at close to a 45° angle. As stated above, 4wd will become useless with CV shaft angles which is not what any owner wants when they lift their truck.
There is a reason that proper 4" lift kits (such as Zone or BDS) come with the components that they do and cost the money that they do. Those companies have put the proper R&D into the kit beforehand, understand suspension geometry and ride, and at the end of the day care about the end products performance and quality on the owner's vehicle. Do the research, educate yourself, and spend the money on a proper kit. You will not regret that decision in the long run.

As always, if anyone has any questions about lift kits, components, individual setups, etc. there are a handful of guys on this forum that are able and willing to help you out. I suggest you start with searching through the forum and reading up on threads beforehand as most of these subjects have been covered multiple times. If you still can't find what you're looking for, feel free to post up a question in this thread as I will be monitoring it or if needed, send me a PM and I'll help you out the best I can. I just hate seeing guys being deceived by false advertising or false advice from companies or uneducated people.

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I have never been a fan of their product, ever... I have always thought they were now well engineered and cheaply made.

The old adage, you get what you pay for is true, especially when it comes to lifts.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the heads up.

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
They are doing the same thing on new f150 too... they used to make decent kits, especially for tacomas, but it appears they have gone down hill. I had one on my old Tacoma for awhile, with decent amount of wheeling, great kit.

Sucks for them, they are headed to where rough country was in the late 90s. BTW, around 2006, RCX really revamped a lot of their products. They are actually decent on the majority of their products (from a quality vs price point perspective). But I don't expect the bashers here to believe that.

OP
OP
brandonjansen

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BTW, around 2006, RCX really revamped a lot of their products. They are actually decent on the majority of their products (from a quality vs price point perspective). But I don't expect the bashers here to believe that.

They were doing better for a while but in late 2013 or early 2014 changed their kits for the Ram 1500's and no longer offer full coils for rear lift and still don't powdercoat all the parts the are shipped out. Not to mention that their customer service is a complete pain to deal with. For the minimal price difference between RCX and Zone I'll recommend Zone all day long.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Good write up man!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot of companys did this for Chevys. And countless people had major failures driving down the road. Kits like this are never a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've seen 3 inch kits of a similar design for a couple different IFS trucks. But stretching it to 4 inches is crazy!

OP
OP
brandonjansen

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For further information, below is a picture of the Tuff Country 4" lift installed on a truck (the best one the user could send me). Yes that is sitting at ride height, not jacked up with the suspension at full extension.

A894F1B4-0FC4-412D-BF21-E59229BA523D_zps5y641epu.jpg

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn. I hope that gets changed soon.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Great write up, Brandon! Definitely glad I turned to this forum before making all of my purchases. And that angle for the front drive looks HORRIBLE!

Adam

Wandell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That CV joint angle is insane!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member