Question about performance options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just same basic prices and definitely not including labor
You gotta do a forged rotating assembly to handle that amount of boost. Cheap forged stuff will start at $1800. If you want a stroker kit they start at $2500. If you want to go with a short block those start at $4000.
You need a new/built tranny. That’s gonna start at $3500. Let alone whatever kinda awd setup you are thinking about. Probably need a cam, that’s another $500 easy. To handle the cam you need to upgrade the valve train, $400. Your stock intake manifold probably won’t handle the boost, add another $700 for a good intake. Heads could be upgraded also, $1200-$2000 there. Then you probably need headers, another $500. Those are just a few of the basic things you need to get to 600 hp. There are plenty more things that are gonna nickel and dime you, and that’s only if you do all the work yourself. You probably need some machine work as well.

customcarz973

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking to get more out of my truck without making it hopeless in terms of economy. I've got the 5.7 hemi in an 05 with the 5 speed auto and 2wd.

I was wondering if it'd be worth it to convert to a manual when the tranny goes, or swap in an 8-speed and/or a bigger engine{when the engine goes}

I've also contemplated a 4wd/awd conversion for traction since trucks are so light in the rear, and any power adders would only worsen that {turbos and blowers are both quite heavy. And typically in the front}

Looking to retain 12mpg city and about 17-18 highway if possible with 400-600 wheel HP. I also want a true 6-speed or better transmission.

5 seems like the gears are too long to me{not to mention, it's slow to respond to stomping on it because it'll shift twice. In two slow stages. And it has poor response when I only wanna give it a half stomp, probably due to not having enough gears}, and I've read that the 6-speeds just have second gear split or something?? Either way, it sounds kinda bass ackwards to me.

I figured if I swapped the engine AND went with a manual tranny, there would be as few problems as possible. Either way, I just want to know and learn more before I even decide on what path I might take.

Boost it! Turbo would give you power right in that range, and increase efficiency. Then those tall gears you have in that 5 speed will help you :)

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If anybody is doing a extra 300+hp build you better not be going with cheap headers lol ARH or Gibbson or a quality header will be starting at over a grand and going up from there.