Question on a tuner??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HI , hope this is the rite section.... sooo... question on a tuner? what i have been reading on tuners is some can adjust shift points on full throttle but what about normal driving? can the shift points be adjusted to stay in each gear a little longer? .... just don't like the luggging feel w/the dang 3.21 gear!!

thanks for any input

AustinT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
you can adjust shift points. i have a flashpaq f5 by superchips and i changed the shift points. normal driving is a little different, but when you really get on it it revs up to like 5500 rpms in 2nd till it goes to 3rd. its really different. I am not exactly a fan, so I put the shift points from 2nd to 3rd back to stock

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an 8 speed and when I'm driving around town I manually shift into 7 and leave it there. That reduces some of the shifting and lugging in town. I also had Hemifever change my shift points and do a trans tune for when I drive a little more "spirited".
Jay

OP
OP
co-pilot

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks....yeah ido tha same & leave it in 7th unless highway crusin, just wish it wouldn't run through the gears so fast w/out havin to put my foot in it pretty good

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Got a Tow/Haul button in your truck?

If so, try that along with leaving it in 7th gear around town.

Another option is a Diablosport programmer, an unlocked PCM (since you have a 2018 you have to replace the PCM to tune the truck) and some transmission tuning as PullYa mentioned above.

OP
OP
co-pilot

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No tow or Haul botton in mine????...... guess they thought I didn't need it since I was dumb enough to buy a truck with a 3:21 gear

but thanks for all the input...

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well that sucks as Tow/Haul mode allows you to rev higher in certain gears.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Co pilot---Is your truck a 4x4? If not, I think you would be surprised at the cost of changing gears to a 3.92. Moe's sells all the parts you would need. If yours is a 4x4 I think you'll have to live with it till you get a new truck.
Jay

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Co pilot---Is your truck a 4x4? If not, I think you would be surprised at the cost of changing gears to a 3.92. Moe's sells all the parts you would need. If yours is a 4x4 I think you'll have to live with it till you get a new truck.
Jay

Hmmm he said while the brain silently comes up with reasons for the better half why the gears need changed

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We're always willing to help!!!!! :D
Jay

RysRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No tow or Haul botton in mine????...... guess they thought I didn't need it since I was dumb enough to buy a truck with a 3:21 gear

but thanks for all the input...

I thought the tow/haul button was standard across the 1500 line...

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We're always willing to help!!!!! :D
Jay

And therin lies the problem....lol
If going in the rear (lol), gears lead to LSD, LSD leads to ujoint/couplers, ujoints lead to computer, computer leads to tune, tune leads to spinning the tires (more), spinning leads to new tires, tires lead to rims to match, tires and rims lead to better traction, better traction leads to new brakes
****, I just fell off the mod cliff

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And therin lies the problem....lol
If going in the rear (lol), gears lead to LSD, LSD leads to ujoint/couplers, ujoints lead to computer, computer leads to tune, tune leads to spinning the tires (more), spinning leads to new tires, tires lead to rims to match, tires and rims lead to better traction, better traction leads to new brakes
****, I just fell off the mod cliff

I like how you think!

OP
OP
co-pilot

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jay

Nope.... I'm just 2/wd & will probably eventualy do a gear swap ....... I only have 600 mi on this truck soooo?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO---I think you will find that your truck will be a lot more fun to drive with the 3.92's in it and I don't think your mileage will take a significant hit either. Just food for thought. Enjoy your new truck---either way!!!!!!
Jay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NorcalRamGuy