Radio randomly freezes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 ram 1500 with non nav 8.4. This issue has occurred about 6 times the past 2 years. Come out start the truck and the radio is frozen. Sometimes only fm works...but you cant adjust the volume, no sat radio and no usb. Sometimes no audio at all. Sometimes it will work fine when I turn off the truck and restart. Today I stopped for gas and coffee hoping it would work after it sat a few min. No luck.....drive 1 hr to work with no tunes. Come out after work and its normal.

Anyone else have this issue??

Archer02T

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yes, I have a 2020 with 3,800 miles and it happened 3X during calls. The board freezes up and is unresponsive. After stopping the vehicle and restarting after 30 minutes it is cleared. UConnect and Ram says it never happens but the dealership told me I was the third case this month. The can't diagnose the problem, software patch doesn't fix it so I ahve asked for a new mother board.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Yes, I have a 2020 with 3,800 miles and it happened 3X during calls. The board freezes up and is unresponsive. After stopping the vehicle and restarting after 30 minutes it is cleared. UConnect and Ram says it never happens but the dealership told me I was the third case this month. The can't diagnose the problem, software patch doesn't fix it so I ahve asked for a new mother board.

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

Brad S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l v8
I've been having a similar problem. Sometimes the radio comes on and works normally, other times the display lights up and I can change between AM/FM/AUX but I have no sound and no volume display/control. Sometimes it doesn't come on at all. I've done everything I can think to fix it short of replacing the entire radio. Seems to be a wide spread problem across multiple years of trucks but no one knows how to fix it.

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm still having the issue....dealership stated it needed a software update. I took it in they supposedly did an update, but I checked the version....was the same one already installed. How can you take it in when its acting up? If it occurs it's when I'm on my way somewhere and cant go directly to the dealer. I return to the truck an hour or so later its working.

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
RAMCARES.....PM me I could use some help

Elio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L e-Torque
I am glad to hear that someone else experiencing this same problem, because it's been acting on me ever since I owned 2020 1500 Limited. The worst happened on my 1400 miles trip leaving Central NY to Florida (towing RV), and for about 2+ hours the Uconnect is totally 'freezing' state, No Radio, No GPS, Sounds, nothing.. this really got me, cuz even when you attempt to use the Blue Assist button?! it would not work either. I have had this happened on shorter trips in past, so when I stop the engine, went for errands and back again, it was working, No Problems!! I called a local RAM dealer here in Sarasota and he told me he never heard of this issue before! - Really?? I am supposed to check in with them next week, per Uconnect Care team they'll do something to fix it. we'll see. I just wanted to chime in (1st time here) and let you know there's another 'victim' looking for salvation here...

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Elio, I hope you find an answer. They will probably flash an update......that wont fix it either.

Elio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L e-Torque
One quick update on this issue - after visiting the local RAM service they notified me the Radio need replacement!! got to wait 2 weeks and hope this problem is gone.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it is the same radio or same make as the ones in our fleet (mine is a 18) Pacifica's, they all have failed at about the 40k mile or 1-2 year mark.
Mine will boot up and get stuck at the Chrysler wings and not go past that, it will be at whatever it was shut off at and you cannot change anything (vol, station, anything) other than turn it off. Does this about every other day or so.

Other guy's radios do other strange things in their Pacificas, but it is about everyone that I know of that I work with that has had radio failure.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
If it is the same radio or same make as the ones in our fleet (mine is a 18) Pacifica's, they all have failed at about the 40k mile or 1-2 year mark.
Mine will boot up and get stuck at the Chrysler wings and not go past that, it will be at whatever it was shut off at and you cannot change anything (vol, station, anything) other than turn it off. Does this about every other day or so.

Other guy's radios do other strange things in their Pacificas, but it is about everyone that I know of that I work with that has had radio failure.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
RamCares

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im not sure how ram cares can help with an obvious parts issue that is replaced with another part with the same issue.

Michael S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This has been happening to me in my recently purchased 36,000 mile ram Big Horn 1500. A lot. Almost daily. For those of you who have remedied the situation, what was it and how much did it cost? And should I buy an extended warranty before I take it in?

Doggerdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2018 ram sport with alpine stereo and mine freezes almost every time I get in the truck. Eventually it will shut itself down and reset. Then it will work fine until the next time I use it. I had an appointment at the dealership for tomorrow and was going to leave the truck with them for a week but my plans have changed and would need the truck back the same day. I assume they wouldn’t be able to replicate the issue in one day so I guess I’ll have to cancel my appointment until another time I can leave it with them for a week. I have other issues like heated seats shutting down after 30 seconds and key fob not recognized sometimes when using remote start causing my alarm to go off (talk about embarrassing!). Also I have locked the key fob in the truck twice now.....how is this possible? The truck should not allow the doors to be locked with the fob in the cab.

Last edited:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had my radio do all kinds of crazy things and nothing the same. I live on a dirt road with fabulous scrubboardss What happened is that the thumbdrive that I have in the hub shook loose and caused all kinds of havoc. I pulled it out and nothing for over a week where it would freeze atleast once daily. just some info.

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My back up camera went bonkers couple weeks ago. Dealer decided to install a new radio and the back up camera. The good news....the back up camera works great. The bad news the radio started freezing again 44 miles and 1 week later. Took it in while it was locked up so they could see it! After talking to service rep it was brought to my attention that the replacement was a refurbished radio! WTH? We escalated the case to corporate asking for a NEW replacement....DENIED. So we have refurbished replacement ordered.

THANKS RAM

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Edition with Black Out Package
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
mine is doing the same thing now. First my favorites didn't alert me when they were on, and now my radio has froze and restarted three times today. What gives RAM? This is a replacement radio as well, my original started delaminating and they replaced it with a new one.

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alison with Ram Cares, I will be happy to give you my case #......are you still here???