Radio randomly freezes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Edition with Black Out Package
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Pulled the fuse on my radio two days ago to reset it. Worked fine for a day. Now freezing and rebooting again.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 8.4 radio has known issues.....Ram just acts like its new to them

audiomikej

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have the same exact problem, here is a video showing intermittent bug

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
add me to the "me too" radio issues. 2018 power wagon just started freezing up, sometimes the backup camera won't come on after starting up the truck, just started rebooting itself as well. 50k miles on the truck.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
add me to the "me too" radio issues. 2018 power wagon just started freezing up, sometimes the backup camera won't come on after starting up the truck, just started rebooting itself as well. 50k miles on the truck.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have the same exact problem, here is a video showing intermittent bug

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

Ram Wagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison

RamCares

I figured that i am out of the 3 year/36000 mile warrenty for this problem

Ronald Burke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013, Ram 1500 loaded, with under 50,000. The problems with the radio, GPS, Navigation, and backup camera are all intertwined. The only cure from the dealer is throwing a $100 bill at it for an update that doesn't cure a thing. The only fix I know of is for you to stop for about twenty minutes for a cup of coffee or other activity. After enjoying your tasty beverage or whatever, go back to your vehicle. Start the engine after it has been off for the required twenty minutes. Everything should start working by then. This is the only problem I have this truck that I dearly love. It is and will continue to be a problem until Ram stops ignoring that a problem exists and fixes it.

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am on my 3rd radio. Ram keeps putting in a "refurbished" radio. What a joke. I dont know if the 19 and 20 classic Rams have this issue. Give me a NEW radio!

Ronald Burke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently gave my thoughts on the problems with my radio and other electronics shutting down. The method I recommended seemed to work best for me. I am a person with little patience and while my method fixes the problem for a short time, I do enjoy my coffee. Also, if you lower your window and extend your middle finger in the direction of the manufacturer, that seems to get rid of my tension.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a UAQ nav radio in my 2018 Ram 1500. I self installed it replacing the 3.0 that was in it. I've had it freeze a few times and every time it does I just open the hood and pull the radio fuse next to the brake booster. I don't even wait 30 seconds put the fuse back in and no problem for another year. If you have warranty that's fine if you want to go to the dealer, if you don't have warranty or don't want to bother with the dealer just pull that fuse and give it a try. It never hurts to try and it only takes a minute. Oh by the way if you pull the fuse don't get nervous when your radio lights back up because XM isn't there right away. Just cycle the keys a few time and it will come right back. All your presets will be there but your audio settings will need to be redone manually. It doesn't get much easier hope it works for you as it did for me. We all have times when we have to reboot our computers or our cell phones, same thing.

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Edition with Black Out Package
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Went by dealership, they did a hard reset on the radio, either updated, or reflashed the update, and ordered a brand new radio in case all that didn't work. They said give a week, and by that time the new radio should be in, and if it is still acting up they will swap it out.

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine just froze today. Like really!! The money we spend on these trucks and 3 years later my radio freezes!! Come on FCA( Ram Cares), there has to be something that can be done so that there is little out of pocket expenses. I can't do anything with mine- no iPhone, iPod, Sirius, settings, Am/Fm. Nothing. What gives???

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Mine just froze today. Like really!! The money we spend on these trucks and 3 years later my radio freezes!! Come on FCA( Ram Cares), there has to be something that can be done so that there is little out of pocket expenses. I can't do anything with mine- no iPhone, iPod, Sirius, settings, Am/Fm. Nothing. What gives???

Alison
Ram Cares

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Alison
Ram Cares

What a joke. Yeah Alison I have opened a case.
Im waiting for my 3rd replacement. That make the 4th radio. Every time they give me a REFURBISHED radio. RAM refuses to give me a NEW radio no matter how much i plead or grovel

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Alison
Ram Cares

Yes but what if my warranty just expired as usually when this stuff happens. I've had no issues with my truck since I bought it until now. And I like my truck!! The last truck I had I traded it off because of issues past the warranty timeline. I would take a Sublime Shaker Scat Pac 6 speed Challenger as compensation for my troubles........LOL.

Senodil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins
I have had the same exact issue..... Radio freezes often (especially in calls lately but randomly), random reboots and cuts out with no volume. Apple play is another issue altogether but unfortunately it has been tot he dealer and they have not been able to see anything wrong so they could not do anything..... Now my truck has turned over 40K and I am guessing I am SOL since the warranty was up at 36K. Kaitlin from Ramcares was able to help me with my dragling issue, I should have reached out about the radio also since it was doccumented at the dealer.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have had the same exact issue..... Radio freezes often (especially in calls lately but randomly), random reboots and cuts out with no volume. Apple play is another issue altogether but unfortunately it has been tot he dealer and they have not been able to see anything wrong so they could not do anything..... Now my truck has turned over 40K and I am guessing I am SOL since the warranty was up at 36K. Kaitlin from Ramcares was able to help me with my dragling issue, I should have reached out about the radio also since it was doccumented at the dealer.

Alison
Ram Cares

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Alison
Ram Cares

Do you read these posts or is this a bot that randomly generates a Ram Cares reply. :chair:

lukslater

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Guys, 2020 (4th gen) RAM 1500 with the same problem here. So +1 to the "users with radios issues" list. :(

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca