Radio randomly freezes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dealership admitted that it is a widespread problem that Ram knows about.

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Lonestar Edition with Black Out Package
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
well quick update and a question. They changed out my radio yet again, and so far no issues. I noticed the boot up animation is different on this radio. My last one had the Ram Emblem(Ram's head), and this one has the word "RAM" on bootup. Different radio or different software? And my favorites are back to working for now too(3 days now).

*Update* Favorites back to not notifying me, or when it does the selection is blank.

Last edited:

droopie85gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got most of the same issues with lockups, freezes, reboots, blue screen instead of backup screen and the favorites issue. Not to mention the 2018 radio only holds like 20 favorites. I had a 2017 and I must've favorited everything that came on. I get the whole favorites are full delete some message if I try to add anymore.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hi Guys, 2020 (4th gen) RAM 1500 with the same problem here. So +1 to the "users with radios issues" list. :(

I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
Ram Cares

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealership replaced the ECU. They think that may be the problem....we shall see.

Rebelrouser

Reaction score
Ram Year
'22 Ram 1500 GT
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if Ram/Jeep knows about the problem why hasn't there been anything done to rectify these issues? Mine cuts out like crazy in and around Calgary and surrounding areas. It drives me crazy........

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ok so can confirm, disabling the favorites alert for XM radio has stopped my reboot/freezes. Not ideal I know, but at least now I get uninterrupted radio play.

Bo B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I made an account just to follow this. I'll add my issues, which are the same as all the others I'm seeing.

I have 68k miles on my truck, a 2018 3500 Laramie Sport.

• Randomly, my radio will freeze and only play the XM station it was on on startup. This has happend since purchasing the truck used at 9k miles. It seems to be happening more now, the frequency is weekly where it used to be once a month or so.
  • Randomly, I will get the blue screen and it will stay that way until it decides to reboot. It has only done this maybe 3 or 4 times, but all in the last 6 months. I saw someone mention it's backup cam related, but I can't confirm, it may be.
  • Most times, the XM favorites will ding, but nothing shows up. Sometimes it works. This issue is pretty new, probably last 3 months. Before that I had no issues with favorites. I did reset all my favorites to none, and I still have the issue after adding a few.
  • Finally, the screen film has begun bubbling. This has been happening over the last year. Looks like it has a water bubble behind it or something.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I made an account just to follow this. I'll add my issues, which are the same as all the others I'm seeing.

I have 68k miles on my truck, a 2018 3500 Laramie Sport.

• Randomly, my radio will freeze and only play the XM station it was on on startup. This has happend since purchasing the truck used at 9k miles. It seems to be happening more now, the frequency is weekly where it used to be once a month or so.
  • Randomly, I will get the blue screen and it will stay that way until it decides to reboot. It has only done this maybe 3 or 4 times, but all in the last 6 months. I saw someone mention it's backup cam related, but I can't confirm, it may be.
  • Most times, the XM favorites will ding, but nothing shows up. Sometimes it works. This issue is pretty new, probably last 3 months. Before that I had no issues with favorites. I did reset all my favorites to none, and I still have the issue after adding a few.
  • Finally, the screen film has begun bubbling. This has been happening over the last year. Looks like it has a water bubble behind it or something.

Hi there--

Sorry to hear about the concerns you've been experiencing with your infotainment system. We'd like to look into this further for you. Please send our team a private message!

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

TexNorseman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Update: radio randomly froze and rebooted twice over the last few days. So much for my theory.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

riden2low

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have pretty close to the same problem. AT 18000 miles I had problems of the navigation telling me I was in Texas. I live in Oregon. At that time they couldnt figure it out and ordered me a new radio supposely. I heard that there were refurbished ones being replaced for new ones. And Ram Cares helped me out to get it sooner. Now Im at 42000 miles and I have the same problem again. This time it says I'm up in Seattle. What a joke. So took it to the dealer and their tech started working on it and tried to do an software upgrade. No go. There came up an error on the screen. After that they told me that I wouldnt have a radio for awhile as they had to order a new one because the second one still had warranty left on it. So I get home and the next morning my truck battery was dead. Called the dealer and told them and they told me to pull the radio fuse because the radio wasnt turning its self off. So I did and it stopped the battery drain. So to get my normal functions working on the dash like my trailer brakes and etc. Have to install the fuse and pull it at night until I get notice that my radio replacement has come in. 65000 dollar truck and I have to deal with this crap.

redgp1200

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i came here looking to see if anyone got these radios figured out. My 5 inch ish radio in 2017 ram is freezing on a random sirius channels and sticks every day till i turn the truck off. This started out as once a month ish to this. Dealer has brushed it off since it was 6 weeks old.
Im new here and if im in a wrong spot im sorry.

OP
OP

18ram18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well my radio worked as designed for 1 year!!!! Now its back to a zero volume adjustment and sound for everything except AM/FM radio. Has anyone found a fix to this issue?
HELP

mitchbuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 deisal
Yes, I have a 2020 with 3,800 miles and it happened 3X during calls. The board freezes up and is unresponsive. After stopping the vehicle and restarting after 30 minutes it is cleared. UConnect and Ram says it never happens but the dealership told me I was the third case this month. The can't diagnose the problem, software patch doesn't fix it so I ahve asked for a new mother board.
I'm having the same problem on my 23. The dealer keeps "updating but it keeps happening

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca