Ram 1500 vs GMC Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
The 5.3 is a joke as far as power...my 2010 with a 4.7 powertech pulled on my buddies 09 ltz silverado every single time...the more i drive the brand new chevy 2500s at work the more im glad i bought a ram lol

The new Gen V 5.3L(L83) makes more power than the old Gen 3

L83 makes 355hp/383tq, but if you run it on E85 its 380hp/416tq

usmc_ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i like the denali but thats about it..styling wise i cant get over the outside of it looks so weird and boxy..interior i like imo theyve always lagged with interior quality...i still would get a ram over it though lol my friends chevy kept trying to find a gear it wanted to be in on the freeway got annoying after a while

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Neighbor had a new Sierra Denali Crew Cab parked in his driveway today. Nice truck. I looked at them a little before I bought my Laramie CCSB 4x4, and although I think the trucks are close to a coin flip, I am definitely glad I chose Ram.

Here is what I think the Ram Laramie has over the Denali:

-- Hemi vs standard engine in the Denali is the 5.3L - underpowered.
-- 8 spd vs standard tranny in the Denali is only a 6 spd.
(Yes, the 6.2L is available, but it's an option, and the 8 spd only comes with the 6.2)
-- Rear coils or air susp and Panhard bar, versus leaf springs.
-- Interior. Not even close.
-- Price. A GMC equivalent to my Laramie is about $3k more.
-- A diesel option.
-- Ramboxes.

The only things I can think of that the Denali has over the Laramie is the optional 6.2L (but it's a $2500 option), the magnetic shocks, and the 4G LTE hotspot.

The interior quality and rear suspension cement my Laramie decision.

What thoughts do you guys have comparing the 2 trucks?
SQUARE WHEEL WELLS! GM has no style or design talent except in Corvette and Caddy.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The Sierra Z71 is a truck I'd gladly drive. I actually prefer the grille over the Ram....and I can look past the wheel wells.

2 things that caused me to go with Ram.

Price: A base WT double cab with a 5.3L is the same as a SLT Bighorn CC Hemi, around here.
Stance: I don't know if it's just me but the GM trucks seem to sit somewhat lower than Rams from the factory, and look smaller.

The new 5.3L does go though.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The new Gen V 5.3L(L83) makes more power than the old Gen 3

L83 makes 355hp/383tq, but if you run it on E85 its 380hp/416tq
How could it produce more power with lower octane gas?

To be honest id much rather argue single cab 4x4 2500s because thats the only apples to apples i have experience with lol...

Last edited:

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
E85 has an octane rating around 100 to 105 vs 87 octane.
My mistake but it still has less energy per gallon than gasoline..and being between 50-83% ethanol cant be good for the motor...plus its worse on mileage

Not the point of the thread i know but why would anyone actually use e85??

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Last edited:

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
This is the first positive discussion on e85 ive seen...i'll take it over there..

fondupot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This thread hits right to home. I own a 2014 GMC Sierra and my Dad just bought a 2014 Ram Laramie.

There are things I like about his truck, and there are things I like about my truck.

I like how light the doors are on my Dad's Ram, but it doesn't feel cheap. Still closes with a solid thud. The doors on my Sierra are so ******* heavy!

The Ram leather seats, while don't get me wrong, is nicely appointed and comfortable. I think the leather is nicer in my Sierra and the seats are more comfortable.

The Ram's heated steering wheel heats more evenly. My Sierra has hot spots, mostly near the bottom of the steering wheel. But my heated seats get hotter and have a larger heated area on the bottom cushion compared to the Ram.

Ram crew cab vs Sierra Double cab, not a fair comparison. But at least the Ram has rear vents on the back side of the console....not even the Sierra Crew cabs get those.

The Ram 4 corner coil suspension is great! Leaf spring suspension can feel "loose" from the lack of sway bars. The Ram feels tight around corners, even on a Crew cab, 6'4" bed that my dad has!

HEMI. Enough said. even with the 3.21 rear end ratio, the Hemi would blow the doors off my 5.3L. Also the ZF 8 speed in the Ram is superior to the 6 speed hydramatic GM transmission. I have the 3.42 rear end in my Sierra.

Anti-Slip Rear axle in the Ram is awesome. I've never driven a limited slip equipped truck before. I've only had the GM' autolocking differential and ford electronic auto "locking" rear diff. The LSD in my dads Ram is absolutely outstanding.

I like the exterior styling of the Sierra over the Ram. But both are still attractive trucks.

The fuel mileage in my Sierra is better than the Ram.

The Ram's infotainment/navigation is nicer. But the system in my Sierra isn't that bad either.

The driver info center on the Ram is awesome. way more customizable compared to my Sierra. But I like the analog gauges in my Sierra compared to the analog gauges on the Ram. The needles on the Ram are too fat.

I have easy lowering lift gate standard on my Sierra. Ram does not. Gonna have to get the piston thingy for my Dad.

The hand controls and pedals are a little awkward for me to use on the Ram. I am more comfortable with the positioning in the Sierra. But I think I could get used to the Ram's if I drove it everyday.

I could go on for days and days.

I like both trucks. Both have their strong points. We also drove Fords, I even owned one for a short stint. The Ram's and Sierra/Silverados are definitely top notch.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Anti-Slip Rear axle in the Ram is awesome. I've never driven a limited slip equipped truck before. I've only had the GM electroni autolocking differential and ford electronic auto "locking" rear diff. The LSD in my dads Ram is absolutely outstanding.

The locking rear axle in the GM trucks is vastly superior to the LSD in the rams. The ram lsd is easily defeated if one tire is up in the air or on ice. The GM unit will just keep going.

fondupot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The locking rear axle in the GM trucks is vastly superior to the LSD in the rams. The ram lsd is easily defeated if one tire is up in the air or on ice. The GM unit will just keep going.

Well in my experience with the Ram it doesn't slip in situations where my Sierra would. I thought the point of a LSD was that when one wheel detects wheel slip, the power is sent to the other wheel? The GM unit in my truck is an automatic locking differential.

Maybe its a tire issue. I have Goodyear SR-A tires on my Sierra. And I slip a lot and have traction control turn on and help me through the slipping. I find myself using the Auto 4 Wheel drive setting on my Sierra to get through a slippery situation, where my Dad's Ram can get through the same without it.

My dad has Goodyear Wrangler GS-A's (I think) and it just feels like it connects with the road very easily without issue in 2HI.

Egress

Reaction score
Ram Year
03 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT
Engine
Stock 235hp 4.7L/287 V-8
I drive what i can afford be it a Ram, Ford, whatever. Every company out there has something I like about their products over the next.
It really makes me laugh reading all the bashing. Ask any truck owner what the best truck is, and he will say whatever is in his driveway.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well in my experience with the Ram it doesn't slip in situations where my Sierra would. I thought the point of a LSD was that when one wheel detects wheel slip, the power is sent to the other wheel? The GM unit in my truck is an electronic automatic locking differential.

Maybe its a tire issue. I have Goodyear SR-A tires on my Sierra. And I slip a lot and have traction control turn on and help me through the slipping. I find myself using the Auto 4 Wheel drive setting on my Sierra to get through a slippery situation, where my Dad's Ram can get through the same without it.

My dad has Goodyear Wrangler GS-A's (I think) and it just feels like it connects with the road very easily without issue in 2HI.

There is no such thing as an electronic auto locking differential for gm, either you have the automatic locking differential which is all mechanical, or you just have traction control alone.

fondupot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is no such thing as an electronic auto locking differential for gm, either you have the automatic locking differential which is all mechanical, or you just have traction control alone.

Yea I meant the Automatic locker. Sorry.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My mistake but it still has less energy per gallon than gasoline..and being between 50-83% ethanol cant be good for the motor...plus its worse on mileage

Not the point of the thread i know but why would anyone actually use e85??

For a everyday I would never use it, but for the performance world it's great.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
T

The Ram leather seats, while don't get me wrong, is nicely appointed and comfortable. I think the leather is nicer in my Sierra and the seats are more comfortable.

The Ram's heated steering wheel heats more evenly. My Sierra has hot spots, mostly near the bottom of the steering wheel. But my heated seats get hotter and have a larger heated area on the bottom cushion compared to the Ram.

I noticed about my seats one very cold morning. It gets hot but it doesn't heat much of the seat up.

Now my steering wheel. Holy **** if got any hotter it would burn my hand..lol