RAM Cares is a Farce! Denied Assistance with DRLs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I got sick and tired of the DRL run around getting LM5 enabled at eight dealerships now! The last one said $90 bucks but we don’t know how to do it and you pay regardless. So I got pissed and decided to email FCA customer service through the contact page on the RAM web site. Guess what? The form won’t submit, not surprised. So I did the chat now option, read the transcript below, you decide.

“Me: I am the proud owner of a 2017 Laramie CC 4x4. However I'm seriously bothered it doesn't have daytime running lights which i consider a significant safety feature especially in metro regions with heavy traffic. I have read on many RAM forums of owners getting the LM5 code enabled in the BCM to activate the un-activated DRL's. There is much documentation of owners using an FCA document in the dealers service dept to get this done. Yet many dealers won't or don't know how. Most won't research it, some have told me "$175 to explore with no guarantees"! I have called 8 dealers in the region and only one stats he can do it, but i have to drive over an hour to do it! Some say it isn't available for my VIN? Many with the exact same truck have succeeded by presenting the FCA document, the dealer simply has to want to try it seems. Can I please get some assistance getting this done at my local dealer please?!!

Me: I might add my dealer is five minutes away

(5 minute pause here)

Me: Still with me?

Michael: I can certainly appreciate your concern Richard, I do apologize however we would not be able to assist regarding this technical matter, I would have to recommend continuing to work with your Chrysler Jeep Dodge RAM dealership in order to resolve this issue.

Me: Wow so even though there’s an FCA doc stating it can be done you can’t help?

Michael: I do apologize Richard, I have no information available regarding this information, I would have to refer you to a dealership for further information in this regard.”

So why would FCA deliberately deny assistance with this? We know it can be done, we know the functionality is there. Makes absolutely no sense. If RAM really cared they would assist as there’s no reason not to!

Where are you RAM CARES? I’d like to hear the answer to this one.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a hold of the docs or steps needed, walk in and walk them through doing it. If the dealer near you is the one you bought the truck from they should be more than happy to help you. If not, time to change dealers. Good luck in your search keep us posted.

OP
OP
Razzman

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Get a hold of the docs or steps needed, walk in and walk them through doing it. If the dealer near you is the one you bought the truck from they should be more than happy to help you. If not, time to change dealers. Good luck in your search keep us posted.

Well that’s not the case, local dealer has no clue even with the doc. Nor are they enthusiastic to try. I’m not jaded, most dealers don’t give a crap. Like I said eight dealers and only one knows how so they say. Btw that’s eight out of 22 in a 100 mike radius. The rarity is the dealer that actually will take the time to see if they can do it. So far I’ve had every excuse but let’s try it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have u tried the dealer you bought it from?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It is my understanding that this is "standard" on vehicles that are sold in Canada. If this correct maybe one of the members who lives up there might find out from a dealer up there what the process is to get these turned on. I have found that there are certain things that the local dealer can not program or change. These certain things(whatever they may be)need to be changed by the "regional office". They are the only ones that have the authority to make certain changes. The local dealer has no idea of how to do it. I had a situation like that and had to supply my vin and the code I wanted changed to my local service manager and he had to call the regional office. The whole process took about an hour. Because of my relationship with the service manager I wasn't charged for the change at the dealer level.
Jay

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s why I bought the genie. No stress, no phone calls, no confrontations at the dealership and no wasted time. I had DRL’s in 5 minutes in my own driveway, so funny that I was able to do what the dealers couldn’t or wouldn’t, I was *****.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RAM Cares (about their dealers).

Seems like the trend - they can help but in the end most of the time they side with the dealers. They will suggest trying another dealer, who will most likely tell you the same thing, and again RAM cares will side with the dealer.

I cant fault them 100%, because its not like they are with us and our trucks, but a little more nudging of the dealers we go to would be more helpful than just automatically agreeing with their assessment.

Although I would be pretty pi$$ed if a dealer basically said we'll take your $90 and give you nothing in return.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
That’s why I bought the genie. No stress, no phone calls, no confrontations at the dealership and no wasted time. I had DRL’s in 5 minutes in my own driveway, so funny that I was able to do what the dealers couldn’t or wouldn’t, I was *****.

what else can this genie do? if I rub it, do I get 3 wishes granted?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what else can this genie do? if I rub it, do I get 3 wishes granted?

https://www.obdgenie.com/collections/chrysler-dodge-jeep-genies

Most of them are single-feature "flash" modules to enable sales codes your truck didnt originally come with. Once they are used they are tied to the specific VIN they were used with so you cant share them, but they will basically do the same thing the dealer *could* do if they were inclined to provide "customer service" instead of "lip service".

OP
OP
Razzman

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The whole mystery of this just blows my mind. Something so simple to do takes an act of god to get done. In the end I’ll probably have to drive to the one dealer I’ve found that says he can do it. But that’ll end up costing way more than the $80 he quoted by the time I drive there and back.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its all about laziness and extracting as much profit as possible.

$175 to explore the process - they most likely already know how to do it, but they probably have a minimum 1 hour of labor charge (even if it takes less than an hour). Ive noticed the services have a "skill level" attached to them, it probably takes a higher level of skill than other stuff so they can charge more in addition to the labor.

Unfortunately its not unique to FCA. I had an Infiniti i30 that needed an updated flash to fix an intermittent CEL....known issue, TSB created but even under warranty you had to pay for "labor" to flash the ECU. 1 hour minimum, cost me $120 for them to plug a computer in and press a few buttons.

The difference comes when dealers are willing to help you out (not necessarily do the work for free, but discount it or throw in an oil change, etc)....that's where the American car companies seem to fall short. Profit profit profit! Once the vehicle is out of warranty they make even more $$$ off you.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Nowadays, take about any car into a dealership and they may charge you a fee to diagnose a problem. This is more common as people used dealerships to find out what the issue is, to only leave and go shadetree it.
I would think Ram Cares is there for an issue with a vehicle under warranty, not add a feature or help find a dealer for a non-US based vehicle can get.
Just have to continue your search for a dealer that's willing to do it for the price your willing to pay for.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am very lucky to have a great dealer, I took that paper that was going around on how to turn on DRLS in my truck. They spent 90 minutes trying to make it work without any success, both our thoughts was that my having redone all my lights to Leds was the cause as it does change things up. But as I said, I have an awesome dealer....an apology for not being able to make it work and NO charge what so ever. Love these guys here.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Cool idea but some of those genies are $$. Dunno what the dealer would charge comparatively for the ones Genie has shipping. Wonder if these guys are getting sued by FCA (GM and Ford too) for rights infringement. They may have cracked the code on ODBII flashing, but it seems iffy.

I am not trying to rain on the parade here, I like the idea!

OP
OP
Razzman

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nowadays, take about any car into a dealership and they may charge you a fee to diagnose a problem. This is more common as people used dealerships to find out what the issue is, to only leave and go shadetree it.
I would think Ram Cares is there for an issue with a vehicle under warranty, not add a feature or help find a dealer for a non-US based vehicle can get.
Just have to continue your search for a dealer that's willing to do it for the price your willing to pay for.

I went to RAM for assistance due to the fact the dealers, whom should know, either don't or don't care to figure it out. I've contacted eight dealers on this and here's the answers (yes I wrote all these down lol);

"Don't think we can do that, but we can explore it for $175"
"No we don't do that" <service dude hangs up on me>
"Never heard of it"
"Give me your VIN" <wait 5> "Nope it's not an option for your truck"
"No, they don't have DRLs for a reason" (he couldn't say why though lol)
"Well we can try for $90 but you'll be charged whether we succeed or not"
"Sure we can do it, it'll be an hours labor at $80" GREAT! But I have to drive 120 miles, bummer :(.
"Well not sure that can be done, let me research and call you back" (never calls back)

So you can see the challenges? Since the document supplied on the forum is dated 8/15 i would think the dealers would be aware, obviously they simply round file these for the most part.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I had my Challenger, I installed fog lights and needed the code be flashed. I didn't tell them why I was coming, I just went up to service department to get my oil change and to get this done because I knew it takes 5 minutes longer. Initially wanted an hour of labor, and we argued for a few minutes and he finally gave in once I told him I bought the car their and I know it took only a few minutes tops, he was like ok whatever just tip the guy. I would just go up for your oil change, have your instructions ready on how its down and tell them to do this during the oil change. If they give you crap, show you instructions and say it only takes a few minutes, and you'll take care of the tech. Just catch them off guard, StarScan make it very easy.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
I went through this when I bought my Journey. Frustrating thing is with that is the setting is already checked in the screen. They never worked so I had the dealer look into it when I took it in for its first oil change. When I went back to pick it up they told me it couldn’t be turned on, it’s only for fleet and Canadian vehicles. I argued with the rep over it and got nowhere. That was was over 3 years ago and I will never return to that dealership for anything ever again. They’ve. Ha fed owners numerous times over the years and have been nothing but garbage. Im gonna try my local dealer with my Ram when it needs its first oil change and see what they say, I have a feeling that they won’t be much help either. I’m kind of in the same boat. The dealer where I bought my truck from is a 5 minute drive. The rest of the dealers are garbage or too far away to even try. The dealership where I bought my Journey from is about 1 1/2-1 45min from me so that’s out of the question also. I really need to friend someone that works in the service department lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because reaching down and turning on the headlight switch is HARD! ;)

Not even the same, turning to P gets you dim parking lights, whereas with DRL's activated you get full bright lights (same as when the turn signal is on). Also, If you have DRL's and you turn the switch to parking lights with fogs you get DRL's and fogs :33:

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_4037.jpg

Last edited: