RAM Cares is a Farce! Denied Assistance with DRLs!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello Fellas,
I have some news. So the dealership called me this weekend to pick up my truck and they said there was a bit of a mess up. Apparently the conversation I had with the manager telling him I did NOT want to pay $140 for the DRLs did not get back to the tech and he activated them. The manager said to reverse it but he was told it was too much work to do that so they left them on for me. It is definitely good news in my favor. The manager said a few things. One, I am only the 3rd vehicle they have done this to, and this is a huge dealership so that only means this isn't very common as it seems, even though it is pretty common on the forum. Heck, before I took the sheet I found here, another manager told me that it wasn't even possible to do it! Another is, FCA is treating them like the NAV activation. Sure it only takes so much time, and is just some codes, but they still charge 600 or whatever it is for the feature. That kind of put things into perspective for me. Vehicle has ability to run program, activation of said program costs money. Doesn't mean Id want to pay but yeah. I can imagine it is different from dealer to dealer. My old dealer in another city would do almost everything for me for my Charger for free, but that's because I developed a working relationship and had an in. This new dealer is obviously not the same-yet!

Now some things I noticed with the DRL activation that might be different from aftermarket.
-In my Charger whenever you started the car, the DRLs came on. This is not the case for the dealership activated ones. The DRL Ambers only come on when you put the vehicle in Drive. If it is in Park, no lights
-Same with remote start; you want to remote start and get that cool look of them turning on but it is still only when you put the car from Park to Drive that they come on. This applies to putting from Drive back to Park, they shut off. So no idle running with them on unless you want to turn them on manually.
-I cannot remember, but I believe when youd turn your headlights to the off position on the dial, they would go completely off. Now, they don't. If you switch it to off, you still have the DRL running. So no more sneaking around un noticed!

This isn't very interesting to some I am sure, but I have not seen much talk about how they work after its done at the dealer.

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello Fellas,
I have some news. So the dealership called me this weekend to pick up my truck and they said there was a bit of a mess up. Apparently the conversation I had with the manager telling him I did NOT want to pay $140 for the DRLs did not get back to the tech and he activated them. The manager said to reverse it but he was told it was too much work to do that so they left them on for me. It is definitely good news in my favor. The manager said a few things. One, I am only the 3rd vehicle they have done this to, and this is a huge dealership so that only means this isn't very common as it seems, even though it is pretty common on the forum. Heck, before I took the sheet I found here, another manager told me that it wasn't even possible to do it! Another is, FCA is treating them like the NAV activation. Sure it only takes so much time, and is just some codes, but they still charge 600 or whatever it is for the feature. That kind of put things into perspective for me. Vehicle has ability to run program, activation of said program costs money. Doesn't mean Id want to pay but yeah. I can imagine it is different from dealer to dealer. My old dealer in another city would do almost everything for me for my Charger for free, but that's because I developed a working relationship and had an in. This new dealer is obviously not the same-yet!

Now some things I noticed with the DRL activation that might be different from aftermarket.
-In my Charger whenever you started the car, the DRLs came on. This is not the case for the dealership activated ones. The DRL Ambers only come on when you put the vehicle in Drive. If it is in Park, no lights
-Same with remote start; you want to remote start and get that cool look of them turning on but it is still only when you put the car from Park to Drive that they come on. This applies to putting from Drive back to Park, they shut off. So no idle running with them on unless you want to turn them on manually.
-I cannot remember, but I believe when youd turn your headlights to the off position on the dial, they would go completely off. Now, they don't. If you switch it to off, you still have the DRL running. So no more sneaking around un noticed!

This isn't very interesting to some I am sure, but I have not seen much talk about how they work after its done at the dealer.

Great description! This is exactly how my 2015 Outdoorsman works with DRL's.

When I bought the truck, it had the power-folding mirrors, but no power-folding tow mirrors. The dealer told me that there wasn't such a thing (even though the 2500's can get it). I told them that I was going to buy tow mirrors and wanted to ensure that I would be able to adjust the mirrors when they were flipped. They agreed to do the flash for free after I got the mirrors installed. I bought the power-folding tow mirrors from 1AAuto and went back to get the mirror-flip-code flashed to the truck. I also took along the instructions for the Daytime Running Lights and told the service manager I was there to get the flashing done. He told me it would be about $250 to flash both codes. I told him to go talk to the salesman and Sales manager. 15 minutes later he came back grumbling and agreed to do on their dime. They flashed both codes with no issues and it took them about 20 minutes to do.

The ONLY thing I could quibble about is now that I am looking at an LED upgrade to the headlights, I don't know how/if it would work with the DRL's on.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
You can, but you won’t be able to register it outside of Canada

bdab5fd09d9ebf2691af388bad0e81ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a new thing? I have owned a Avalanche 2002 that was originally from Canada ;) Ore is it just FCA cars?

Duster79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Three years ago when I got my Ram I turned my lights to auto, now they are on all the time when running, they turn off when you shut vehicle off. Simple but it works

OP
OP
Razzman

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Three years ago when I got my Ram I turned my lights to auto, now they are on all the time when running, they turn off when you shut vehicle off. Simple but it works

Mine to are always on auto, But auto just means they automatically come on when it’s dark enough. To light out and they turn off.

Fcrowder49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 7.5
What you should do is to contact the Corporate Headquarters. I had a problem right after I purchased my own 2014 Ram Laramie Quad Cab. After talking with the dealership, I did call the Corp Hdqtrs. Had a call back from the dealership within 24 hrs to bring my truck in. Here is the phone number I called. 1-866-406-5154

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Hello Fellas,

Hes feeding you a crock of BS. How it works is, Service Manager goes on Dealerconnect and Requests the sales code added to your VIN through WIC, WIC either approves/denies, then adds it to your VIN under dealer installed options. Once thats done, the tech simply does a vehicle restore with WiTech which takes legitimately 2 minutes to complete. The dealer pays WIC NOTHING. Its part of Chrysler not an external 3rd party like HERE who handles the Maps/Nav for Chrysler and Chrysler pays them a licensing fee to use their maps.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hes feeding you a crock of BS. How it works is, Service Manager goes on Dealerconnect and Requests the sales code added to your VIN through WIC, WIC either approves/denies, then adds it to your VIN under dealer installed options. Once thats done, the tech simply does a vehicle restore with WiTech which takes legitimately 2 minutes to complete. The dealer pays WIC NOTHING. Its part of Chrysler not an external 3rd party like HERE who handles the Maps/Nav for Chrysler and Chrysler pays them a licensing fee to use their maps.
Hmm. Well idk. And honestly it doesn't seem like there's a clear consensus between consumer and dealer and FCA of who actually knows how it goes. All I know I know is I got my DRLs.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

HandyAndy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Is that a new thing? I have owned a Avalanche 2002 that was originally from Canada ;) Ore is it just FCA cars?

I have no idea, it was on sticker of my 17 PW planing to check my wife’s truck, sticker is still in the glove box I think.

PDXRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My local dealer wants $157 to turn them on. Should have told them to take a freaking hike.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My local dealer wants $157 to turn them on. Should have told them to take a freaking hike.
Lol well it all depends on the dealer. If you see above my dealer wanted around the same but due to a mistake by the tech I got them free. From what he told me, they have only ever done a couple and it takes them a long time to figure out. Try different dealers.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While driving I have never seen another Ram with the DRL’s activated other than mine. One of my favorite mods.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
While driving I have never seen another Ram with the DRL’s activated other than mine. One of my favorite mods.
Same here. But I know you did the Genie right? I always wonder since this mod seems to be one of the more unknown ones, if people just think I am driving around with it manually turned on lol but its nice to not have to think about having to do that now!

1500canoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From a dealer's perspective, I can understand needing to charge something for this service. Everyone here seems to expect to get a smokin' deal when they buy a new truck, getting 25% off MSRP or more which nearly equates to the dealership selling the vehicle at their cost, then of course we all want to pay as little as possible for any service after the sale. I know they get bonuses and other things on hitting sales targets or moving X number of vehicles of Y type this month etc. but at some point, the dealerships have to have some margin and make some money. Generally, it's my understanding that they do this on trade ins, used car sales, financing kickbacks, and service.

With all that said, I can't see paying $150 for a *safety feature* that literally takes them 10 minutes on a bad day to follow along with a technical bulletin that the customer had to provide. For $50, okay fine, whatever.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here. But I know you did the Genie right? I always wonder since this mod seems to be one of the more unknown ones, if people just think I am driving around with it manually turned on lol but its nice to not have to think about having to do that now!

yes I used the genie, 100% satisfied

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine had DRL's when I bought it....I insisted that they be deactivated before I took delivery.

Big Blue Hemi

Keep on keeping on
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Never trust a dealer to do anything more than sell you a vehicle. Doesn't matter whether it's Chrysler, GM, Ford, etc. It's just the way it is. Unless it's a warranty issue they will never touch my vehicle. Once burned, twice warned.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never trust a dealer to do anything more than sell you a vehicle. Doesn't matter whether it's Chrysler, GM, Ford, etc. It's just the way it is. Unless it's a warranty issue they will never touch my vehicle. Once burned, twice warned.
same here, once I drive away after purchase I literally hope to never return unless I'm buying another vehicle