ram price question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boywithatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looking at new trucks and on there sticker prices they show say 42,000 then underneath it shows 37,000 (-5,000 dealer discount)

now is that a lagit actual discount on the trucks price or is 37,000 the real price and 42,000 some made up inflation to make it look like you got a deal.

asking to know so i know what price to barter with cause i know the salesman will start with the higher one even if it is ********.

truck is a 2016 5.7 crew cab 2500

RodRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
42k is the MSRP from ram you can look it up.kelly blue book 42k was that on my 15 CC 1500 so for it to be a 2500 and that it must' not have some of the better options,

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
just use truecar.com no way of really telling without knowing the options and the region you're in

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
looking at new trucks and on there sticker prices they show say 42,000 then underneath it shows 37,000 (-5,000 dealer discount)

now is that a lagit actual discount on the trucks price or is 37,000 the real price and 42,000 some made up inflation to make it look like you got a deal.

asking to know so i know what price to barter with cause i know the salesman will start with the higher one even if it is ********.

truck is a 2016 5.7 crew cab 2500

i'd like to see a pic of the "$42,000" just to be 100% sure its not a fake number they put over the printed sticker price.

but if they are taking $5k off and you get another $3k in rebates, thats a good deal.

Last edited:

HemiXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe it's against Federal law to change anything on the window sticker. If he adds parts or services (i.e window tinting, etc.) it must be shown on separate ticket. They can also show discount or upcharge the same way.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Paying somewhere in the ballpark of 80% of MSRP is a good deal. Of course, there is variation for things like new or old model, region and just how hungry a dealer is on a particular truck.

That would put that 42K MSRP truck at around 33/34K.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Typically the 42,000 price advertised is the MSRP. All the dealer sites I've seen have a link to the window sticker (at FCA's site), where you can verify the options and MSRP.

The $5000 dealer discount usually assumes at least $3000 in rebates to dealer and perhaps a down payment. As others have said, 80 to 85% of MSRP out the door is a decent deal. Expect to get at least 10% off of MSRP out the door at any dealer (thats paying ~$37800 out the door all incentives to dealer)

A 42,000 truck will typically have a 39,000 invoice and $1200 hold back. So dealer cost first level is around $37,800. Then there are hidden dealer incentives and such which reduce their cost. Depending on dealer volume, pricing aggressiveness, the time of the month and quarter and how long the truck has been on the lot you could perhaps negotiate between 36,800 to 37,300. Better if you are lucky, but not likely. Then there are factory incentives between 3000 and 5000 on top. So negotiate 37000 without incentives, and pay as little as 32,000 to 34000. But you may have to shop several dealers to get that. You can use either the 0% finance option or $1500 rebate. Unless you can find a loan rate less than roughly 2%, or are paying cash, its usually better in the long run to take the 0% finance deal.

Holdback and hidden incentives depend some on trim level.

Ramdo5185

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought my 2016 1500 Big Horn last week. Window sticker was 42k, additional side sticker with dealer add ons was 43.5k. Final price I paid for the truck was $33K. Dealer said they had to sell alot of trucks by end of March. But don't they always say that.

raggedolram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a very well equipped '16 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 with a 48k Sticker for 41.5. I may have been able to get a little better deal in retrospect, but I'm satisfied with the truck.

HOSTAGE81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought over thirty vehicles in my life, so I learned through conditioning some important lessons. I'll give you a quick break down of what I paid. Keep in mind, I reside in Canada so prices on average are about 10k higher than what people living in the states pay. Also these prices are in CDA and not USD. Forgive me if I ramble, I'm just trying to help.

I bought a brand new loaded Hemi crew cab Big Horn. The only two options I didn't want were leather and sunroof because I personally hate those options. Every other option I have. Sticker price on mine was 56k. I work for a large company that consists of approximately 10 thousand employees. We buy a few thousand or replace existing fleets we have with all kinds of Dodge vehicles. Let's say about 3000-4000 units every three years. Dodge also sells to all my company employees for cost price in order to generate more business. So my particular truck was discounted to $38050. Then add on freight and taxes. I also bought extended warranty which was a $2700 package. That was cut in half as to $1350 as well. That gave me 100k bumper to bumper warranty should this truck go **** up on me at some point. So out the door was 45k all in. Zero down and zero percent financing for 6 years. A few things I'll let you know that a I learned. Perhaps you already know , but I'll pass on the info incase some folks want to know.

- Never go by sticker price or take that number face value. If you buy into that notion. Then you're done for cause who knows how they inflate those numbers.
- Never buy on the same day as you attend a dealership because your impulses will get the best of you. You need time to do the math. If you can, go over the number with with a friend or someone who is unbiased that will give you an honest opinion of the deal.
- Do your research online and email dealers across your state with your offers via email or fax only and don't post your phone number. Tell them to only contact you back via email or fax if they are willing to accept your offer. If they tell you to come in. Go on to next dealer. Get them to compete with each other. Believe me this works well and takes pressure off you at the dealership.
- Check if you have preferred customer deals with dodge, you might have access to that and not know it.
- Money is cheap these days and cost the of borrowing is low. So stick with the zero percent financing.
- Negotiate on freight. Mine was $1795. I told the dealer that I'll split it with him cause they get that back from manufacturers. They talked a good one, but I won and they agreed.
- Never I mean never !!!! go by the how much you you want your payments to be scheme. Go by overall truck price out the door. Who cares what the monthly price will be. That's how they doop people. Go by what the final price of the vehicle will be out the door.
- Never talk about a trade until you solidified the price of new truck. Once you know that number and have a baseline price. Then talk about trade. Beware of the tax savings game they play. Those basta-ds are slick.
- Don't pay dealer Admin fee. That's bull in my opinion. Usually it's like 599 or so. My logic is, why should I pay you for spending my money. I'm the one coming to you to spend 50k. In other words, they didn't seek you out, you went to them.
- Try to buy toward end of year. Best deals are then I find.
- I had to drive 6 hours away to find the deal I wanted. But I don't care, If I can save, Ill drive. Besides driving a new vehicle is the best feeling in the world next to getting pus-y :)
- Don't buy nonsense stuff they try to sell you at finance office like paint protection or rust proof inhibitor or any of that crap. Its all a scam. I wash my vehicle all the time and don't abuse it and I never in m life had rust.

Again sorry for the rant. Just wanted to help another person as best as I can.

Thanks.