RAMCARES, any update on full screen Android Auto?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@RamCares saw there was a UConnect update last night. Turned on my truck this morning and....no change. Is the team even aware of this glaring omission?

While I work in the AAA gaming space and haven't touched Java in almost 20 years I'd imagine it can't be too hard to step back into those shoes and fix this for everyone. Let me know if you're hiring temp contractors remotely, would love to make up for the team's apparent shortcomings.
I'm going to say the 12" UConnect people are going to be waiting for full screen AndroidAuto just as long as the Gen4 8.4" Harman Kardon UConnect radios owners waited for AndroidAuto to be added to the radios...
...those that didn't upgrade to a 8.4" Panasonic UConnect are still waiting

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Android Auto recently released a new version 9.8.632424 I see. Has anyone confirmed with the update if you still have the concern? Also, I read through alot of comments/complaints on the AA app in Googlestore and I didn't see one person complain over there about the 12" full screen. Why not contact them and see if they are aware and if it is something they can address. You won't know until you ask.......... like you guys have done here.......... alot.

23bighorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Android Auto recently released a new version 9.8.632424 I see. Has anyone confirmed with the update if you still have the concern? Also, I read through alot of comments/complaints on the AA app in Googlestore and I didn't see one person complain over there about the 12" full screen. Why not contact them and see if they are aware and if it is something they can address. You won't know until you ask.......... like you guys have done here.......... alot.
Yes, I can confirm I still have the issue with AA 10.0.632824. I don't think you'd see anyone complaining on the AA forums because it seems to only be an issue with the RAM uConnects.

How many AA customers is it going to take to complain before development works on this? @RamCares

DWC7988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is definitely a connect issue. Full screen works great in my wife's Kia. It's got to have something to do with how they implement the "cards". I've basically accepted that they will never fix uconnect 4 now that 5 is out. And I believe even with 5 that only car play is full screen capable

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Well I guess I'll add it to the list of benefits of having the 8.4. The system works fantastic and the Android apps too.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Been lurking this thread for a while, any updates @RamCares ? Been a few months since the last response.

Maybe you missed it, but they said in multiple posts the same message.

Hi

There are no available updates on this capability at this time. If further details are available, we're happy to share with the rest of the forum.

Steph
Ram Cares

slackerz

Reaction score

They never acknowledged that they were looking into it and it's been a few months. Always the same answer, for what a year. The answer appears to be Ram isn't interested in adding the capability. They should just come out and say it already.

PrdCdn

TEAM RAMROD
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L ECO Diesel
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us directly. We appreciate your feedback on this and will bring this up with our technical team. At this time there are no changes on layouts with our updates. Should there be any changes, we will be sure to make a post on here.

William
Ram Cares
Add me in. RAM 1500 owner since 2010.. Current 2020 DT with the 12", not just annoying that the realestate is so poorly managed. That ANDROID will not let us change it.

Scotto811

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Oh it gets so much worse..... The 2024 Ram HD page shows it with the split screen still. They haven't even taken the time to update the new models..... FML. SO SOOOO SAD. I've got a '22 limited and it's so depressing seeing this stupid split screen every morning. :/

Page link for reference: https://www.ramtrucks.com/2024/ram-3500/technology.html

Attachments

• stupid_aa.png
    stupid_aa.png
    605.1 KB · Views: 13

g00fy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So it's been almost a year since AA gained support for all screen sizes, and Uconnect is still dragging their feet enabling it on their end on the 12" UC5. So I've resorted to hassling them on "X" (Formerly twitter). Please feel free to join in: https://twitter.com/UconnectCares I doubt it'll make a difference but it makes me feel good knowing I'm at least annoying someone at Uconnect.

daemonic3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L SO
I can confirm from a test drive last month that a '24 Limited on the lot still did not have AA full screen. I was in absolute shock and figured I'm missing a setting. I've had full screen in my '21 F150 (12" landscape) for nearly 2 years after a simple OTA update. My wife's 2022 Mach E (17" portrait) has had full screen from the start. It's not a dealbreaker but VERY annoying once you've had the full screen experience with a map where you can see everything when you need to.

I told my friend, the sales manager, that I loved everything about the truck except for the carplay/AA only being half screen. He said no, it's full screen, he uses it all the time in his truck. I said I just tested and there is no option. So we went out and tested in his truck. Carplay was full screen. I connected, and AA was tiny half screen. To add insult to injury, he is constantly an annoying apple fanboy using ignorant/false claims about how android is inferior, and here was this Uconnect limitation making it look true.

Ford, Hyundai, Kia, BMW all have full screen AA. I have seen it. Probably other OEMs too. Still flabbergasted that Ram (all of stellantis?) still doesn't, when Uconnect is able to do OTA updates. It can't be written off as "they want the in-house nav/app experience to be superior to a projected fee experience" because they allow it for iphone.

The answer isn't "get an iPhone" or "get a [insert other truck here]", there are multitudes of reasons we want to use our existing devices and Rams. Or, in my case, I already have an F150 with a beautiful AA experience. (ordered my Ram last week)

Do I expect a fix? No. Do I think @RamCares should place higher priority on this? Absolutely. It would go a long way in showing good faith and listening to the customer community, and we would in turn show off and brag to friends about the awesome 12" screens. My guess is that in the software staffing (likely contracted out) they are stretched thin developing for the new gen Ram and can't get to the (unfortunately) low priority requests like AA full screen on Uconnect5.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I can confirm from a test drive last month that a '24 Limited on the lot still did not have AA full screen. I was in absolute shock and figured I'm missing a setting. I've had full screen in my '21 F150 (12" landscape) for nearly 2 years after a simple OTA update. My wife's 2022 Mach E (17" portrait) has had full screen from the start. It's not a dealbreaker but VERY annoying once you've had the full screen experience with a map where you can see everything when you need to.

I told my friend, the sales manager, that I loved everything about the truck except for the carplay/AA only being half screen. He said no, it's full screen, he uses it all the time in his truck. I said I just tested and there is no option. So we went out and tested in his truck. Carplay was full screen. I connected, and AA was tiny half screen. To add insult to injury, he is constantly an annoying apple fanboy using ignorant/false claims about how android is inferior, and here was this Uconnect limitation making it look true.

Ford, Hyundai, Kia, BMW all have full screen AA. I have seen it. Probably other OEMs too. Still flabbergasted that Ram (all of stellantis?) still doesn't, when Uconnect is able to do OTA updates. It can't be written off as "they want the in-house nav/app experience to be superior to a projected fee experience" because they allow it for iphone.

The answer isn't "get an iPhone" or "get a [insert other truck here]", there are multitudes of reasons we want to use our existing devices and Rams. Or, in my case, I already have an F150 with a beautiful AA experience. (ordered my Ram last week)

Do I expect a fix? No. Do I think @RamCares should place higher priority on this? Absolutely. It would go a long way in showing good faith and listening to the customer community, and we would in turn show off and brag to friends about the awesome 12" screens. My guess is that in the software staffing (likely contracted out) they are stretched thin developing for the new gen Ram and can't get to the (unfortunately) low priority requests like AA full screen on Uconnect5.
I wonder if fiddling with the DPI settings could force it to full screen? There are some 3rd party adapters like AAwireless that have settings that override the factory default. Do the 12" screen truck already have wireless AA?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't see what's so special about wireless AA/CP. Especially if the vehicle doesn't also have wireless charging. And wireless charging sucks even if it does have it. Too thick a case? Doesn't work. Not aligned perfectly, doesn't work. Even when it does work it's slow and creates a ton of heat.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't see what's so special about wireless AA/CP. Especially if the vehicle doesn't also have wireless charging. And wireless charging sucks even if it does have it. Too thick a case? Doesn't work. Not aligned perfectly, doesn't work. Even when it does work it's slow and creates a ton of heat.

Quick trips. Listen to streaming on the way to the grocery or a short commute without needing to mess with the phone, etc.

In my work-mobile I'm frequently taking 10-30 minute drives. I only charge my phone every other day and only to 80% to maximize battery lifespan, so I don't need to charge every time I drive.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Quick trips. Listen to streaming on the way to the grocery or a short commute without needing to mess with the phone, etc.

In my work-mobile I'm frequently taking 10-30 minute drives. I only charge my phone every other day and only to 80% to maximize battery lifespan, so I don't need to charge every time I drive.
I don't know. I get in, plug in a single cable, throw my phone down. No messing with the phone.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I don't know. I get in, plug in a single cable, throw my phone down. No messing with the phone.

With my work-mobile, I don't have to take it out of my pocket or plug in anything, it just connects and works. Like keyless entry, it doesn't take a lot of time or effort to fish keys out of your pocket, put it in the door, turn the lock, etc but it's more convenient to just put your hand on the handle and it open.

My truck doesn't have wireless, but I do appreciate the convenience when I'm in a vehicle that has it.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Depends on the year. I can't remember if wireless started in 2022 or 2023 trucks, but it's definitely not in 2021 and older.
I ask because if you wanted to add wireless, you could also see if the DPS settings change anything on the 12" without loosing anything but gaining a function.