RamForum Exhaust 4th Gen Clips and Vids

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dagolfdoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info - it's probably both. I'm pretty sure (& will check when I get back to truck) that the inlets and outlets are bigger (maybe 4 inches), and I don't think the guy had any idea where it was supposed to go. Lol.

Is it worth getting the correct size and having it installed? Thx

345Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been searching for underbelly pictures of 4th gen rams with true dual exhaust and have found very few. Can anyone here help me out? I want to run true duals in 2.5", I am unsure about what to do for the muffler. Trying to decide whether to run a single dual/dual or two singles. What have you guys done? Pictures if possible, thanks in advance!

landshark98005

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Where did you buy your kit? It looks like you kept the resonators on, correct? Are those stock exhaust tips, or aftermarket?

DKD31085

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys I'm new here have a 2016 Ram 1500 sport I want to upgrade exhaust love the borla atak sound but borla has not manufactured it for my truck yet any suggestions on a loud deep hemi sound ?

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I'm new here have a 2016 Ram 1500 sport I want to upgrade exhaust love the borla atak sound but borla has not manufactured it for my truck yet any suggestions on a loud deep hemi sound ?

Put a Borla XR-1 Sportsman muffler on and remove the factory resonators. Should get you pretty close to what you're looking for.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a lazy day yesterday watching the Tourney...Had some fun in iMovie :)

American Racing Header long tubes in 1-3/4 primaries, 3" Y-pipe with high flow cats, MBRP full Cat back exhaust. I honestly am afraid it is too loud. If it was not so loud during mild acceleration it would be fine.

https://youtu.be/ym6fA6sna10

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had a lazy day yesterday watching the Tourney...Had some fun in iMovie :)

American Racing Header long tubes in 1-3/4 primaries, 3" Y-pipe with high flow cats, MBRP full Cat back exhaust. I honestly am afraid it is too loud. If it was not so loud during mild acceleration it would be fine.

https://youtu.be/ym6fA6sna10

sounds great! :favorites13:

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
sounds great! :favorites13:

Yea it does sound really good, nasty and raspy mean. Just how I like it, but at mild acceleration its loud enough I am worried about illegal too loud. I may look into adding a single resonator or the stock double ones. If I can take like 6db-9db noise away from mild acceleration it would be perfect.

The video does not even begin to capture how loud it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1142-Ultra-Quiet-Resonator/dp/B001806YE2

This one is still straight through design keeping up with my mufler design, we shall see how it does. I cannot imagine it will completely neuter the raspy mean exhaust tone. If it does then I will fins another until the perfect one comes along :)

My coworker got a 14" "Maggy" as ya'll call it put on his 2005 Ram all stock besides that and a K&N CAI. We each drove each others trucks down the block to hear what it sounds like watching the rigs. They both sounded good :) But when I took off to go home I slammed it swinging the ass end out and spinning out it revved to 6200RPM. It seriously sounded like a race car lol! So freaking mean I loved it! Our test was not done though. I take a road home 5 blocks away and the test was to accelerate aggressively but not balls to the wall. Well 5 blocks away my truck was beyond crystal clear to them and that is why I am putting a resonator in. I love it and wish I could keep it the same but eliminate the drone and SPL level at lower RPMs and acceleration. At very mild acceleration there is a slow loud woppy poppy sound that I believe would yield a ticket if a cop behind me.

So I will experiment with resonators clamped in until I find the right one :) At least I have a good base of good exhaust tone and can work from here.

Last edited:

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the resonator installed. Upon startup I didn't think it did anything but in mild acceleration I no longer have the poppy rip sound of the exhaust. I love it when I want it but when I'm accelerating like a turtle I do not want it. Again it was so loud i feel I would have gotten a ticket eventually. So that is gone now and overall it barely tamed the higher frequencies.

The bass frequencies it did nothing and I didn't expect it to with my knowledge base of how sound works and my main hobby of Home Theater/giant speakers and subs.

So I have been researching and have come across the Helmholtz resonators guys do. They use a J shaped pipe that is calculated by several factors but what it does is cancel a particular frequency. When bass sound waves cross each other they cancel each other out and you literally do not hear that particular frequency. I have a pretty decent know how on this from my Home Theater hobby and small room acoustics so it all is very familiar just a different application. I also have an extremely smart "sound guy" that could help design and double check the math.

So my question is does anyone with a Ram have a Helmholtz resonator? It looks like a pipe that is basically welded to a hole in your main flow path/pipes that goes for a certain length then is capped off.

My MDS drone sounds EXACTLY like a stealth chopper. Wah, wah, wah, wah all in low bass notes. I can tell it is going to get very annoying so I am going to figure out all the numbers and proceed with one. Just curious if anyone has done it. If not I will be very surprised as it is proven science already and included in many performance exhaust systems.

PuraVidaNico

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for a part number for 18" Magnaflow single in and out for my 2013 4.7. It is single and out right? Any advice would be appreciated.

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't decide on a Dynomax VT or a cut out with stock muffler.

Edit: What the general consensus of the best Cut out? Raceland, DMH, QTP.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Man that sounded almost identical to my 5.7 with long tubes/MBRP cat back without the resonator. I had to add a resonator because mild acceleration was just ridiculous! But it has tamed the raspy higher frequencies during mild acceleration but it also tamed it all over the power band. I might unclamp everything and try to black 50% of the perforated holes and see if that finds a happy medium.

Thing is before resonator when I revved it it was smile inducing, now it still sounds good but wanting more...I am wondering if over time some exhaust grit will plug some holes and gain me back some...