Rattle up under the fuel tank? How do i determine what it is? 2004 Ram 5.7 4 door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mws1369

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rattle up under the fuel tank? How do I determine what it is? 2004 Ram 5.7 4 door

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Rattle up under the fuel tank? How do I determine what it is? 2004 Ram 5.7 4 door
I suggest clean it first with a good blow of water, could be dried mud you never know. then eliminate things one at a time, like a broken wire, loose nuts, loose straps etc. The last thing you want to do is drop the tank as that is the most labor intensive.
Your sure of where the rattle comes from? sound travels and what you think is on one side could turn out to be on the other. either way its always easier to do the little things first

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
Couldn't help it..........
I didn't think of that BUT my first thought was "up under the fuel tank" ? What ever is -under the tank should fall to the ground.
if straps are OK something might be resting between the top of the tank a truck. The straps, depending how old to not always like to loosen. Soak them in a PB Blaster type spray for a while. I had luck once and got my hand up there on a GMC, there was a piece of a hub cap owner must have driven over, rattling around. When those tanks come down there can be a lot of stuff there. Garden hose the top?? If ya have to drop it remember fuel is about 8-9 lbs. a gallon x 32 gallons. On Gm trucks it was easier to un plug the wiring harness that went from the box to the rear bumper lights, take the six bolts out that secured the box to the frame. Then four of us could easily lift and move the box. The fed part that would normally be behind the tires , the part in front actually sat on the tires of the vehicle itself. Also an easy way to change the GM rusty brake lines. Dodge/Ram lines we hardly ever changed. It's VERY popular on GM's