Rear end noise update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
So a little while ago I posted about a noise I was having coming from the rear of my truck. I had a couple shops take a look at it and they both determined that the problem was with the ring and pinion.

Well after the one shop wanted a gazillion dollars to fix it and after talking with Marty up at SuperShafts (not one of the shops that actually looked at the truck) I decided he was the right guy to do the work. So I dropped the truck off with him Tuesday morning.

Today he texted me and sent me some pictures. Boy am I glad I went with him.

My whole rear is toast. I'm not 100% sure exactly what the problem is (I don't know rears well enough to really comment about it thats all) but I will say I was told the clutches are done, the ring and pinion are done and as you can see in these pictures one of the parts was cutting through the metal inside. The groove you see is not supposed to be there from my understanding.

2015021995115755.jpg

2015021995115745.jpg

Anyways Marty said he was going to look for a Dana 60 rear because it was the best option. He found one with an empty housing so that's what we are going with (with the 15"brakes).

Now here's my question/ just looking for more info.

I know my brakes don't bolt up to it. Marty went to look to see if they would first as well but he also said they wouldn't. He said hes just going to make the 15" rotors and calipers work when he installs it. Is this more difficult than it sounds? What is involved in making them work properly with my truck. I know the brakes will fit since I'm already running OEM SRT 10 wheels so I have the space but is there anything else involved?

I'll keep you guys updated the more I find out.

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not sure about the brake problem. But I have seen a lot of axles like that. That has been messed up for a long time. The clips that hold the clutches for the limited slip break an slide out and rub on the bearing cap. If it has been caught sooner, you could have gotten away with bearings and a clutch replacement. Glad you are getting it sorted out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
THis may be all wrong but I thought I read where someone got a recall letter on pinion gears for these trucks. Might want to see if the dealer can pull your VIN and if there are any recalls affecting this issue, before you spend big bucks.

Just a suggestion

Luck
Dave

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
THis may be all wrong but I thought I read where someone got a recall letter on pinion gears for these trucks. Might want to see if the dealer can pull your VIN and if there are any recalls affecting this issue, before you spend big bucks.

Just a suggestion

Luck

Dave

You are wrong. The recalls are for the pinion nut coming loose. His problem is completely different. Check out the pics.

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Not sure about the brake problem. But I have seen a lot of axles like that. That has been messed up for a long time. The clips that hold the clutches for the limited slip break an slide out and rub on the bearing cap. If it has been caught sooner, you could have gotten away with bearings and a clutch replacement. Glad you are getting it sorted out now.

Yea, the guy who's fixing it said he's seen 60 plus Chrysler 9.25's do this before. None as bad as mine though.

Just a suggestion

Luck
Dave

I had tried that route first but my dealer kept telling me I wasn't listed in the recall. Either way I think that was for the pinion nut not the clutches going bad and wrecking the whole thing lol

hemidup

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 6.4 Hemi
This brake conversion kit will work ya. SSBC A158-1 Its a 15" brake conversion.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I'm confident you will get fixed up. And this would be an opportunity to go with the smaller brakes to mount 15" rims if you drag.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I was going to say that if you do a Dana 60 then you could do a 15" brake conversion easily but looks like hemidup beat me to it. I would love a 15 or 16" conversion because then you can run cheap slicks at the track and you won't affect braking very much since these are front biased braking systems. One thing you'll notice with the 15" conversion is how small the calipers and rotors look behind the SRT wheel.

OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Will the SRT brakes work? I also thought I read somewhere that I'll need a custom driveshaft. Is that true?

I talked with Hemidup on the phone about this yesterday before my guy said he could make this work. I'm still a bit skeptical but he said he knows what he's got to do.

Edit: I talked to Marty today and he said yes he will be making a driveshaft as this one will have to be shorter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gecko

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Got some more info on my rear end.

They do not make 3.92 gears for the Dana 60. So I'm going with 4.10s. I'm only going to be doing the rear right now and we will be unhooking the 4 wheel drive so that I don't accidentally put it in 4x4. I'll do the fronts at another time after I've recouped some of the money for this fix.

I'm going with the 4.10s since the front won't have to be machined out to fit them and because I don't think I need the 4.56s with the power I have right now.

Everything is going to be put back together over the next few days hopefully. If all go well I'm thinking I'll have the truck back by the weekend/ beginning of next week.