Rear locker install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
X

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Should be the same.

From what I've looked at all the Gen III, and up hubs are the same. I know for a fact this won't work on Gen II Rams. My brother blew through 4 front hubs because he didn't tighten the half shaft nut to spec..

One quick way to find out is to look up both hubs, and check part numbers. If the part numbers are the same for 2WD, and 4WD trucks. Then they use the same hub.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think theyre the same from what I can see for an 06. Wouldnt mind having more room underneath and less weight. But.. would that pop a service 4wd light if I remove it? Lol I would think it would.

OP
OP
X

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The light is for the transfer case, and I don't know what for. It's the only part in the system with electrical running to it, save for the rear axle. I don't know why taking the front axle out would throw a light.

My front axle doesn't have anything electric going to, or coming from it. My rear axle has the ABS on it.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The svc 4wd light only come on when there is a problem with the motor and or system that actuates the 4x4. So as long as you dont try to put it in 4wd with no front axle it wont come on.

OP
OP
X

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The svc 4wd light only come on when there is a problem with the motor and or system that actuates the 4x4. So as long as you dont try to put it in 4wd with no front axle it wont come on.

The TC still has a motor on it even if it's a manual TC? I have the floor shifter. I was also thinking it was for the 4X4 light in the dash.

ETA: It's for the position switch, and dash light.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting guys. I plan on running this truck into its death bed (aka no resale) so the loss of value as a 4wd doesn't matter to me. Just want a nice street truck that I can mod for cheaper. Would it be best to replace the drive shaft from a 2wd? Or just leave the tcase in for cost savings

OP
OP
X

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
If I'm not mistaken the TC only weighs 72lbs., or something like that. It's also in the very center of the two axles. So removing it is really not necessary. I'm gonna leave mine in place just in case I want to put the front axle back in it at some point.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good thinking. I can always keep my front and regear it as funds come in to play then reinstall it. That way I can get a shop to do the rears for me. How long do you think to do one axle? 2 hours?

4.56s (and install kit) for the rear are 300.28 shipped from moes. Cant complain. Too bad my shop charges $20 more an hour for not using their parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Good thinking. I can always keep my front and regear it as funds come in to play then reinstall it. That way I can get a shop to do the rears for me. How long do you think to do one axle? 2 hours?

I just want to say. If you do this before I test my theory, and things go south. I'm not going to be held responsible for it. :D

Not saying you will hold me responsible. But others may read this thread, and not read the whole thing thinking it's ok to do.

In no way shape, or form am I saying, or have I said this works for sure. Until I test it on my own truck. At that point I will report the outcome in this thread.

I really hope it doesn't turn into one of these :banghead:, or this :suicide:!

OP
OP
X

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just ordered my install kits today. They should be here by Tuesday. So Wednesday will probably be the day.

I have two brand spanking new front hubs to replace the ones on the truck. So if this doesn't work, no big deal. But if you don't have the hubs on hand. It may not be a good idea without knowing for sure.

Really, the hubs aren't the only thing I'm concerned with. But they're the weakest point.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In theory it should be fine. Wouldn't there be less stress on the hubs without the shafts hooked up? My thoughts at least. I'll be looking forward to your build/removal. Good luck

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The TC still has a motor on it even if it's a manual TC? I have the floor shifter. I was also thinking it was for the 4X4 light in the dash.

ETA: It's for the position switch, and dash light.

Yeah i have the electric actuated transfer case, i guess 2006 was the first year.
When i first got it i was dissapointed it didnt have the stick, thought it was kinda *****, but ive come to enjoy it :p

OP
OP
X

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That's what I thought about my 2012, and I agree. It's a pretty enjoyable feature.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
And ive only ever seen one ram in our garage that the svc 4wd came on and it wouldnt shift. Turns out the tranfer case motor was shot. Maybe he left it in auto 4wd all the time i dont know but it was a farm truck that does most of its km off road so maybe.
A pretty reliable system overall i would say.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man... I was hoping youd get drunk over labor day weekend and do it early haha.

OP
OP
X

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Man... I was hoping youd get drunk over labor day weekend and do it early haha.

:Big Laugh:

I thought about it. I don't drink, but I don't have anything to do tomorrow. So just out of interest I may take that axle out tomorrow. At least the half shafts to test it anyway.

I've checked everything twice to make sure all the same parts are used between the 2WD, and 4WD. Turns out everything is the same except the actual steering knuckles, and that cross member under the engine. So things should, theoretically, be fine.

OP
OP
X

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
OK, Gents. I realize I'm about a week behind as of now. Monday I was working around the house, and was cutting a piece of galvanized sheet metal, and apparently a shaving worked it's way around my glasses. Long story short; I had to have the shaving drilled out of my iris.

So I'm down for the count for a few days until my eye heals, and the doc is comfortable with it's progress. Mainly, infections are the concern. I'll have my dummy bearings this Tuesday, as well as my front install kit. So if the doc OK's my eye. I'll hit it hard this week.