Rear of cab leaks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mvande

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2017 1500 crew cab. Like thousands of others I get water unfer the rear seats. The rear liner gets wet, the compartments have had standing water in them. I have replaced the cabin pressure vents, resealed the brake light and applied sealer to the shark fin. Still gets wet. Door weatherstripping is intact and does not have water on it when checked. What could be left?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a 2017 1500 crew cab. Like thousands of others I get water unfer the rear seats. The rear liner gets wet, the compartments have had standing water in them. I have replaced the cabin pressure vents, resealed the brake light and applied sealer to the shark fin. Still gets wet. Door weatherstripping is intact and does not have water on it when checked. What could be left?
Run water over the sealing strips on the roof.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Daw14 nailed it

There are at least 2 drains in the bottom sliding window channel

I have seen at least 2 YouTube videos about it

mikrobious

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Daw14 nailed it

There are at least 2 drains in the bottom sliding window channel

I have seen at least 2 YouTube videos about it

Yep this is exactly what was wrong with mine, thanks for this I just finished clearing it out on my 2014.

Started with exhauster vents, then replaced 3rd brake light gasket, and was still getting water but noticeably less.

I likely had all 3 problems to be honest because the exhauster seals were dry rotted and full of leaf debris and the 3rd brake light gasket was half rotted away.

Can’t wait till next rain storm to see where she opens up next. ‍

Southern child

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most 3rd brake light come with a foam gasket. I used a 1 inch rubber weather strip and sealed it with a weather proof sealant. So far so good. Next step is the “shark fin”.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Most 3rd brake light come with a foam gasket. I used a 1 inch rubber weather strip and sealed it with a weather proof sealant. So far so good. Next step is the “shark fin”.
Or... easy solution. $11 rubber gasket specifically made to fit this truck on amazon. Super easy install and I've never had one leak after. :) Eliminates the sealant that makes it near impossible to replace the bulb down the road.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Double check the 3rd brake light. As we all know it’s a long plastic unit held down with two sheet metal screws with pressure clips on the body. Over time the plastic can become brittle. Cranking down on the mounting screws will crack the plastic and the leak will resume. I learned this the hard way, thankfully Dorman makes a nice aftermarket replacement at a third of OEM cost.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No one should overlook the vents on the rear cabin wall , also while talking of leaks retorque your intake manifolds .