Rear Track Bar snapped? Or was it cut?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtstj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My Daughter has a 2011 Ram 1500 and it has a 6" lift on it. She wasnt 4 wheeling or anything, just driving around town, parks her truck in her work parking lot, then gets goes out with her friends for a hike ( trails near by). When she gets back she jumps in her truck and starts driving home. Suddenly she gets a very bad death wobble only at around 45MPH. She brings the truck by and I hop in it to help her figure out whats wrong. To make a long story short, we discovered her rear track bar is broken but it is such a clean break it almost appears that it was cut. Take a look at the attached pic and please let me know your thoughts. Was this thing cut or is this how a track bar snaps? She just purchased this truck used and has only had it about a month. She has never taken it 4 wheeling. Its hard to tell what brand of lift it has but I would have thought a lift of this size would need an adjustable track bar. This bar is solid with no adjustment. 20230417_195711.jpg20230417_195730.jpg

Thanks all I appreciate your opinions!

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Think it snapped. Looks like oem. There may be a relo bracket from the lift instead of the adj track bar. Just go on Amazon and get a Freedom Offroad adj bar for like $160.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IDK ...can you see any saw marks? To me, the joint looks way too squared off and perfect to 'snapped'. You think it'd be cracked too. Or somewhat torn at least in one spot. Hard to say in the pics. I guess it's academic at this point.

Either way, looks like a super-easy weld job, which would get her back on the road tomorrow. If it's the original one, you might need to add in a bit of length to accomodate for the lift. Maybe the modifier or a worker intended to cut and weld in a short segment (to acomodate for the lift), and/or they decided to buy one for a 6" lift, but then forgot to come back to it. I could see that happening.

Ultimately you should evaluate if it's a stock link, or aftermarket? And if it's too short or too steep of an angle. Is it the right piece for a 6" lift? Did the installer of the lift make a shortcut on the track bar/Panhard rod? Ideally they should be as parallel with the ground as possible.

If it wasn't done 'right' you might want to get the right hardware or S-shaped rod, so it's as parallel as possible. Good luck.

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To me it looked like it was cut, not all the way through then it severed.
This because part of it is shiny like it just broke off the other half looks like it was cut a while back and rusted a little my opinion for sure had to be some cutting involved either way I dont see how it could just snap clean like that.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They've been known to break,especially if you lift the truck and throw big tires on it.The leverage points are amplified with a lift. Looks like it started to break awhile ago,and was flexing at the break point,as that would explain the flattened part of the break.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Snapped. Due to Lift.
Started, awhile ago, then finally gave up the Ghost.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I can see the teeth marks from the cut from here. Too clean of a line to simply ‘snap’.

Granted, it may have been weakend from a cut, and then snapped from stress,

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Snapped. Look at the texture in the cut. It's been cracked for awhile, note the lip at the bottom where it's deformed from the two surfaces hammering in to each other as it flexed. It finally flexed one too many flexes and let go the rest of the way.

Cut would be smoother on the face of the cut if a grinder or saw was used, and you'd see more regular tool marks, but the hammered edge is the main giveaway.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
^^^^THIS^^^^
It would be smoother if it was cut and shinier too. If it was cut before it would've taken a while to rust and you think she'd have had death wobble before this.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get us a closer, better focused picture of the part where it broke, like an end on shot. Looks like maybe there are teeth marks in the thing from a saw. Not quite sure though.

I don't see any evidence of a stress induced failure of the parent material, leads me to believe that it was cut.

I did swap my OEM bar for a Core 4x4 bar and once I did the swap, it was obvious my OEM bar was bent. I would think that a factory bar failure would look different though.

OP
OP
jtstj

jtstj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank you for all the advice, opinions and suggestions! Much appreciated! Im leaning on the side of a break or snap. We got it off of the truck and took a closer look at it. If anything it may have been cut half way then the stress of it finished off later. There is rust on half of the circle and a clean material break on the other half. Very Odd. She just purchased this truck so I think the break in the rusted part happened a while ago and it was just a matter of time before the whole thing went. The shiny half in the pics is a material break, you can see that upon close inspection. If someone cut the rusted half I would think it would all be uneven on the other side due to blade thickness. Im going with snap, but it really doesnt matter now I guess, What matters now is getting a replacement. Thank you all again! Oh and BTW she texted me tonight that she ordered the Core 4x4 adjustable bar.

John

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have never seen tubular steel "snap" so straight and cleanly in my life!

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 88137 miles.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
My Daughter has a 2011 Ram 1500 and it has a 6" lift on it. She wasnt 4 wheeling or anything, just driving around town, parks her truck in her work parking lot, then gets goes out with her friends for a hike ( trails near by). When she gets back she jumps in her truck and starts driving home. Suddenly she gets a very bad death wobble only at around 45MPH. She brings the truck by and I hop in it to help her figure out whats wrong. To make a long story short, we discovered her rear track bar is broken but it is such a clean break it almost appears that it was cut. Take a look at the attached pic and please let me know your thoughts. Was this thing cut or is this how a track bar snaps? She just purchased this truck used and has only had it about a month. She has never taken it 4 wheeling. Its hard to tell what brand of lift it has but I would have thought a lift of this size would need an adjustable track bar. This bar is solid with no adjustment. View attachment 519291View attachment 519292

Thanks all I appreciate your opinions!
The 6" lift exerted stress that the engineers didn't design it for. It'll happen again.