Remote-On 12V Wire for Amplifier with a stock 8.4", Non-Nav, Non-Alpine OEM Head Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Macro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
First post here...have been doing some research on 2021 RAM truck wiring and this site keeps popping up so I figured I'd join and ask yall if you know. I have a 2120 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab...all stock. Mine has the basic 6-speaker setup (dash and all four doors). I am looking to make some upgrades to the stereo and would like to run a sub with an amp from my last truck. With as integrated as the head unit is with the entire vehicle, I am going to leave the stock head unit as is...it controls too many things to give it up.

So...I have looked high and low to figure out if there is a 'remote on' wire that provides 12V+ when the radio is one. Havent found it yet. I pulled the dash off and probed every single wire on the harness to check for 12V+ and none of them shut off with the radio....they are all on constantly when the vehicle ignition is set to ACC or ON.

Saw that some folks have tapped their cigarette lighter to get a switched 12V+ source and use that to turn the amp on, but then the amp is on whether the radio is on or off. Not a huge thing I guess, especially since I rarely ever drive without the radio on...but I dont love the idea of the amp constantly on. In the past I did something like this but through an inline switch somewhere, so I could manually turn on/off the remote wire. Could do that, but I'm still holding out hope that someone has found a better solution.

So...getting to it....does anyone know of a wire that switches on and off with the radio, and gives a 12V+ source to use as a remote on?

Thanks in advance for your ideas and experience.
Mark

woojyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
There isn't a 12v remote on like you are looking for. The radio is an infotainment system and controls other functions. Therefore, it is always "on". To get a clean signal to your amps in your Ram, a PAC AMPPro AP4-CH41 r.2 is a plug and play device and is the best option. They also have a sub only device. They have remote turn on outputs.

Otherwise, a cleaner way to add a switching 12 volt for remote turn on without cutting wires is using a Add-a- Circuit in the fuse box behind the knee buster. On the lower rightish there are 2 10 amps fuses. The bottom is switch controlled. You would use that location for the add a circuit.

If you are planning on replacing the factory speakers and using an amp and aftermarket speakers, you will also need the PAC ANC-CH01 to bypass the ANC. You can also access the factory wiring at the ANC without cutting any harnesses with it.

Last edited:

schmork

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I use an AudioControl LC2i line converter. It can sense audio and turn itself on. It also has a remote out terminal to turn on your amplifiers.