Replace TMPS When Installing New Tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
2006 Lexus GS430, sensors lasted till 2022 when the first one went. Had all 4 replaced, including install, by the Lexus dealer for less than the cost of after market sensors. Figured first OEM lasted 16 years, might as well go OEM again.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
2015 RAM 97000 on the clock !
1 Sensor went bad so wile at the shop had all 4 done because Murphy Law would kick on the TMPS light 3 miles away after I pulled out of the shop lol
They were cheap enough, $75.00 each installed !
From all I have read 7 to 10 years is the average battery life !
If I was changing tire I would have done it then as well. I would assume cheaper to install them with tire swap !

Ronich69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L 6cyl Turbodiesel
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 that I am replacing the tires for the first time.

The vehicle was manufactured April 2018 so the sensors are 6 years old.

I expect to get 6 years of service out of the new tires so the sensors at that point would be 12 years old.

Should I have the sensors replaced or just roll the dice and go with the original sensors?

If I did end up with a bad sensor can the trouble code be cleared until I have it replaced?

Any advice appreciated.
I learned the hard way, new sensors every two tire changes (at least). I had tires changed, should have changed the sensors instead of just doing "the service" addon. They were intermittent to start with but always ended up connecting. Now, I have 2 that don't work at all. Dealer says that it's common for them to get damaged if the tire tech isn't careful.
IMO, make them remove the tire and inspect the sensor if necessary. I'm paying for new tires, not paying for someone to break the sensors.

Stevewhitts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running a 2008 2500 with original sensors with no issues. Just replaced the tires and left the old ones in. If they die, I will replace them but will wait till then.

Thebusdriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced all 4 TPM sensors on my Lexus with sensors from Amazon. $50 for 4. Saved over $300 dollars doing it myself. Hardest part is breaking the bead without damaging the rim. Was able to do it in my backyard with a floor jack, ratchet straps, and a couple 2x4s. Took a couple hours. I already had the programming tool though. Will need to figure out how to program when my 2014 Ram needs the service.

(Cheap Amazon sensors work great so far btw)

dmcent63

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a ‘14 wrangler and a ‘16 the jeep had one fail at 9 yrs old. I simply used the spare until I did the tires and replaced them then. I checked the ram at the same time and the battery levels are all pretty high. If you have a reader or know someone with, check the charge levels. If it’s lost charge replace them. If money is not your problem then spend it. It’s a personal trip.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have never change one, 2014 and 2008 , still working fine.
I have spare winter tires/ wheels for both, the aftermarket ones in the 2008 Honda gave some trouble when I got them , but the replacements where fine , that was a few yrs back.

sottis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
my 2010 had 3 sets of tires in the 200k miles and 13 years that I owned it with the OEM sensors - were still working when I traded it in.

Lloyd33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.0L V10
My 2001 keeps asking me what all this TPMS stuff is about every time I check the tires with a manual gauge..

Dieldrin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 ETorque
I had a TPMS fail on an aftermarket wheel back in 2022. I ordered a Schrader replacement from TPMS.com for $30. The problem was getting someone to install it. Walmart said they wouldn't do it "company policy", Goodyear wanted something like $150, BJs wouldn't do it. I ended up taking the wheel off and driving around to tire shops until one said If you can leave it we'll do it today. I think they did it for $20.... but it was a PITA and took a lot of effort to find someone to do it.

When I get new tires I'll probably get all new sensors because they are powered by a 3V lithium battery and the general consensus online is that TPMS have an average life of about 7 years or so.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I do NOT understand the predeliction to replace non-essential parts before they fail. Falls in the same bracket as changing out rad hoses and belts that are perfectly fine.

These could easily last 10 to 20 years, and have in many cases. If they quit, so what, use a tire guage. These are not operationally critical systems. The cost to mount and dismount 4 tires is next to nothing. Why spend a bunch of money before you need to?

I saw a game show recently were 4 out of 4 contestants did not know that 10W-30 is engine oil, even though the question category was cars. Not much wonder dealers and repair shops feel free to butt frack customers with impunity.

Last edited:

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently have a car at home that is 10 years old with the original sensors, wife's previous vehicle was 11 years old when we sold it with the original sensors, and dad had a 12 year old truck with original sensors. Guess I understand where somebody is coming from wanting to change them before failure, but as said before they are completely non-critical. If they do fail it's not like it disables the car or anything. At least if a belt or hose fails it basically disables the car and needs to be fixed before driving, but on a TPMS you don't even have to stop. In regards to cost, I would be interested in calling around to see what a shop charges. If you give them the sensors I can't imagine it would be more than $20-$30 a tire to install. Last year I had a shop put a patch on the tire and it cost $30, and that is more work than replacing the TPMS. You don't even have to dismount the tire (at least the ones I have worked on). With a tire machine just break the outer bead, put pressure on it to give you a little room, and replace the sensor, and air back up.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Currently have a car at home that is 10 years old with the original sensors, wife's previous vehicle was 11 years old when we sold it with the original sensors, and dad had a 12 year old truck with original sensors. Guess I understand where somebody is coming from wanting to change them before failure, but as said before they are completely non-critical. If they do fail it's not like it disables the car or anything. At least if a belt or hose fails it basically disables the car and needs to be fixed before driving, but on a TPMS you don't even have to stop. In regards to cost, I would be interested in calling around to see what a shop charges. If you give them the sensors I can't imagine it would be more than $20-$30 a tire to install. Last year I had a shop put a patch on the tire and it cost $30, and that is more work than replacing the TPMS. You don't even have to dismount the tire (at least the ones I have worked on). With a tire machine just break the outer bead, put pressure on it to give you a little room, and replace the sensor, and air back up.
My guess the shop would charge in the tire change rate so I think you are spot on with the 20/30$ range !
I had 1 fail on my 2015 so had them all changed ! 75$ a tire with their TPMS ! So $300.00 for me and all done !
I do not know the brand but a reputable l shop !
My 2011 Chevy I traded in has OEM sensor all still working ! So its a crap shoot after 7/10 years

That_CAT_Guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got a 2018 with almost 126k miles on the clock, ordered a set of wheels and tires off American Trucks and added in the tpms. I only had 1 issue before but the sensor in the tire was faulty and that was a few days after I drove it off the lot.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My factory sensors lasted bout 11 years.1 went then another bout 4 months later....I waited almost year for the tires(not factory) to get bad enuff before I got a new set..bought aftermarket from somewhere like $120...(tpms.com maybe I dunno)but so far so good.been almost 3 years now....im bad about time..just don't pay attention to it...if my wife didn't tell me I wouldn't know how old iam and have to do math..lol

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
these would be nice on trailers, maybe they have them now?
Same with backup cameras on camper trailers.
I did put cameras on my main grain truck at the rear and in the box.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
My factory sensors lasted bout 11 years.1 went then another bout 4 months later....I waited almost year for the tires(not factory) to get bad enuff before I got a new set..bought aftermarket from somewhere like $120...(tpms.com maybe I dunno)but so far so good.been almost 3 years now....im bad about time..just don't pay attention to it...if my wife didn't tell me I wouldn't know how old iam and have to do math..lol
On my 2011 car I traded for my new car it still had OEM TMPS on it . So around 13 y/o !

My 2015 RAM 1 went bad a few months ago so I had the shop do all 4 !
And with my luck after I pulled out the shop another would go and a few days later another so to the scrap pile all 4 went lo
So at $75.00 installed per tire I took the $300.00 hit for all 4 !

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
these would be nice on trailers, maybe they have them now?
Same with backup cameras on camper trailers.
I did put cameras on my main grain truck at the rear and in the box.
There are all types of aftermarket systems to put tire pressure monitors on trailer tires and have a readout box in the truck. I think it's definitely a great idea. I would guess a large percentage of trailer tire failures are from running them low.