Replaced Water Pump, Now it revs up before shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blain1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, I am in desperate need of some help.

I searched this forum before deciding to replace my water pump.
I replaced the Water Pump, Clutch fan, thermostat and belt because the water pump was leaking pretty bad in the driveway. I decided to do all of the others while I was in there.

Everything went together just fine. The problem is that now when I test drive it, the truck Revs up to like 2K-3K RPMs before shifting to second.

I'm not sure where to begin to fix this.
I thought maybe there was air in the coolant lines.
I filled with coolant and turned the heat on max and the fan on high.
Then let the truck run for about 15-20 minutes. Let it sit and then topped off with coolant (wasn't a lot to top off to be honest.)

I also thought maybe it is Air Filter related (sorry if I'm way off, I don't have a lot of diagnostic skills at all. I usually get someone to diagnose for me and then I do the repair.) Back to why I thought maybe it was Air filter related....
I have the K&N air filter and in the middle of the tube (don't know technical name) between the Engine and the filter there appears to be a sensor of some sort that is inserted into a drilled hole in the plastic tube. The grommet around this "sensor" was torn and the sensor did not seal there very well so in messing with it, I made it even worse. I then put electrical tape wrapped around the tube and the sensor in an effort to seal it back up. I believe I did an ok job, but not sure if this could be related to my rev problem. Also when the truck is running and just after cutting off, I can hear a sucking sound ?? coming from around the actual K&N Filter like maybe there is something there. The filter isn't completely sealed though is it? I mean it sucks in air an filters it right?

I'm sorry I don't help much I just really don't know were to begin.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Best Regards,
Blain

OP
OP
B

blain1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Vehicle specs

Sorry, I forgot to mention I have a 2005 1500 2wd Hemi 5.7L

Thank you,
Blain

OP
OP
B

blain1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fan Clutch maybe the issue?

I just posted this question on a site of a guy named Scotty Kilmer.

His response was that if my fan clutch was a cheap copy and not a factory original that it could be causing the problem.

Indeed I did use an Autozone special instead of Mopar original so I will try to replace the fan clutch and swap out for the original to see if this fixes the problem.

Does anyone have any input on this? Does this sound right?

OP
OP
B

blain1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fixed it!

I'll just sit here and talk to myself.
I wanted to report back in case this will help someone else.

Scotty was right.
I swapped back to the original fan clutch and it fixed the problem.

Now I will order a Mopar original replacement and swap out to that.

Blain

indybp57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram Quad Cab 2WD
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You weren't being ignored, everyone was just stumped. Never heard of that before but guess it makes some sense. Glad you got it resolved.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Please do me a favor and take off that electrical tape around the sensor. Especially if it's black. Once it gets hot, the adhesive will melt, and could get sucked into your butterfly valve.

This happened with my first car, Honda crx, and was very bad when it finally stuck the butterfly valve open.

Glad you found the fix, as I had no idea the clutch fan could do that.

El Phono

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah what Indy said.

That is one I haven't heard of. Any explanation on why/how this causes a problem?

I was seriously thinking it was the sensor that got messed up.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Any way Blain, the sensor is a temperature sensor measuring air temp....hotter the air the less fuel to let in the injectors........colder the air , the more fuel gets in the injectors......although a leak in the grommet aint a BIG deal, it would not affect the shift pattern.......the fan clutch prolly was wired for the smaller motor 4.7 an not the Hemi.......thats my best guess. ( With so many parts wired into the tipm it's a comedy of errors till ya get it right sometimes)

OP
OP
B

blain1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
grommet

the only thing Scotty said was that the fan clutch could effect shift points.
it was just a very short reply to my Google + question, but was enough to solve my problem. The guys at AutoZone didn't want to refund my money because they didn't believe it either. I just explained to them that it was causing the problem. Once I switched it out, problem was solved.

I did order a Mopar replacement though so should get that swapped out hopefully this next week.

As for the grommet. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement?
I've been looking but am not coming up with anything. I do plan to get that electrical tape off asap, but need something to put in its place.

Regards,
Blain

indybp57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Ram Quad Cab 2WD
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was it due to the fact the fan was free wheeling and not putting any load on the engine at lower rpms?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
the only thing Scotty said was that the fan clutch could effect shift points.
it was just a very short reply to my Google + question, but was enough to solve my problem. The guys at AutoZone didn't want to refund my money because they didn't believe it either. I just explained to them that it was causing the problem. Once I switched it out, problem was solved.

I did order a Mopar replacement though so should get that swapped out hopefully this next week.

As for the grommet. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement?
I've been looking but am not coming up with anything. I do plan to get that electrical tape off asap, but need something to put in its place.

Regards,
Blain

If memory serves me it's like a h-d o- ring.....local hardware store should have a draw full, if not local pick an pull or dare I say dealer....

OP
OP
B

blain1976

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks

Thanks Rocket.

I'll try Lowes and see what they have.
Auto Zone seemed to show that they carry some grommets.
I just wasn't sure if the dimensions were the same.

Apparently the one I need is 1/2" I.D., 1" O.D. and 1/2" deep.
So I guess I can see if anyone has something close to that.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Might wanna try a gladhand grommet, commonly used with air line connections and trucking.