Replacing the mile long OEM antenna?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, so it drives me nuts that we have a huge freaking antenna on the truck. So that being said who has fixed this issue and what did you swap it with?

I read about the CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna but boy does it have terrible reception reviews.

smokedbystang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
I got a 4" black aluminum one from advance auto. Looks good but not the best reception.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 5" from antennamastrus. Receptions been decent.

vgoodson91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I cut my factory antenna in half (15" long) with bolt cutters. Cleaned the end up on a bench grinder, pulled the ball off of the cut piece and tapped it onto the new end. Sprayed it black and put it on. No noticeable loss in reception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vgoodson91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
6436dc27e5ac794fc760931e5474fc2d.jpg
a280555285caad7538b188d1ad021a8a.jpg

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cut my factory antenna in half (15" long) with bolt cutters. Cleaned the end up on a bench grinder, pulled the ball off of the cut piece and tapped it onto the new end. Sprayed it black and put it on. No noticeable loss in reception.

I did the same thing, then purchased a 6" stubby antenna, but now I'm using the XM roof antenna

matt.davidson09

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 RAM 2500 Laramie Mega Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins

Great idea! I would do this but my antenna is a height indicator for my lifted truck and most garages [emoji851]

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great idea! I would do this but my antenna is a height indicator for my lifted truck and most garages [emoji851]

I used to use it as a height indicator as well, but I solved the problem by lifting my truck 12".

Now I avoid parking garages all together, no need for an indicator haha :roflsquared:

OP
OP
Mbrigh3

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like if you want good music you gotta stick with the OEM one. So sad :(. Everytime I go in the car wash they have to hand me it lol. Weekly reminder

Last edited:

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The taller the antenna the better reception. I'm thinking about getting an amplified hidden antenna for a motorcycle if it will fit. Either that or try and find a power antenna. It will stay down 99.99% of the time since I use XM or Bluetooth my phone.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like if you want good music you gotta stick with the OEM one. So sad :(. Everytime I go in the car wash they have to hand me it lol. Weekly reminder
They are still going to hand it to you. You don't want the scrubber wrapping around it and breaking it loose from the fender

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

cravenspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Hey- I just joined so I could answer this question someone pointed out to me, but I am also glad to help with anything else if you want to email or PM me. You can get good reception with our Stubby and you actually probably will, like most people. Its just the folks who don't are way more likely to go write a review. There are a lot of good reviews too. The most important thing though, we are a small company with a product we make in the USA, and we take Free Returns. If you want to try a Stubby, go for it. If you find that reception where you drive suffers, just email us and we will send you a pre-paid return label and get you a free refund. That is true if you get it direct from us or from Amazon.

I hope I have not barged in to strong, the bad reviews we have are real, but so are the good ones. If you want to, give us a shot. Thanks!
-=Kellen

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
I can't believe after reading these posts that people believe that a shorter antenna can be as good???
The original design many years ago decided the about 15" was optimum for FM reception as opposed to the really long tailfin antennas of years ago for AM
Unless you have a satellite program (which operates on a different antenna)
Then stick with the factory for best reception.

cravenspeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
The long OEM length is overkill most of the time. It definitely needs to be that long in some places, but in 10 years of experience making these things, a 4 inch Stubby gets the same stations in equal clarity where most people drive.

I would have gone broke, giving refunds to anyone who had bad reception, years ago if that were not true.