Retrofitting TYC Projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, I've given up on my Alpharex gen 1 headlights officially. They're off the truck and in the box, and I will most likely be selling them soon (along with 2 sets of HID bulbs, Innovited 35w ballasts, a pair of Katana LEDs and a pair of Hikari Ultra LEDs). I have been toying with the idea of sticking the quads in for a few days and retrofitting my TYC with some flavor of D2S Projectors. I know Morimoto makes a retroquick kit that has everything needed, but including bulbs/ballasts, it's just shy of $500. I'd like to see if I can piece something together cheaper than that, but have no idea how hard it would be to mount the projectors. I don't have access to a mill or thin sheet metal to make a mounting bracket. I've been looking on ebay, and there are a ton of OEM projectors pulled from all kinds of cars (a lot of infinity, some nissan, a few Acura TL, cadillac, etc). How hard would it be to make something like this work? I hear nothing but great things about the TL projectors, that they basically have one of the best output available from an OEM projector. There are also a few EvoX-R and FXR projectors available.

Has anyone done something similar, instead of buying a kit with mounting bracket? How involved was it to get them mounted? What did you use? What I don't want to happen is to buy projectors, open my headlights, then realize there is no realistic way to make them work. The retroquick kit does not give options for other projectors, only the Mini D2S 5.0.

It appears I can buy the brackets separate, but I suppose I would need to call them to find out if the bracket works with whatever projector I decide to buy.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also, what size is the OeM projector? I am assuming 3”?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Yes they are 3". I think a ds2 would bolt up fairly easy. May have to drill a hole in the ds2 mounting tab to line up with the tyc projector mount. Lowe's/home depot sell small pieces of thin sheet metal. Easy to cut with a hacksaw/sawzaw/dremel if you had to make something.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you run the TYC yet? They have better cutoff than the OEM. I have been running them for a couple years now with morimoto 55w HIDs and I'm very happy with them. I did a projector conversion on my 03 and really was unhappy with the result given all the work and money I had invested. Sometimes simple is better. May not look as custom but they work great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you run the TYC yet? They have better cutoff than the OEM. I have been running them for a couple years now with morimoto 55w HIDs and I'm very happy with them. I did a projector conversion on my 03 and really was unhappy with the result given all the work and money I had invested. Sometimes simple is better. May not look as custom but they work great.

I ran the TYC with Morimoto 5500k 35w HID set up for nearly 2 years, then bought the Alpharex setup. Now I’m back to the TYC with Morimoto 6500k 45w Hylux ballasts.

the cutoff is too tall, and the output is a little streaky. There is a pretty big gap/dark spot between the two hotspots at distance, which leaves a void in the middle of my lane. L I can live with the streaky (shadows) as my fog lights do a decent job filling it in. The problem with the cutoff is that in order to have them adjusted high enough to have the void in my lane far enough out, the higher part of the cutoff is shining up and blinding everyone.

if someone with OeM projectors wants a set of TYC because they have clear lenses and sharper cutoff, I’ll happily trade them. Otherwise, long term, I plan to retrofit them. Just trying to do some research before I go down that road.

Noneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie. 35's 2 inch level. Raceme. Fully deleted 5 inch FlowPro Exh
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you buy the TYC new? The have a lifetime warranty. I had to go through a couple sets before I got the set I have now. Just a thought. No doubt a real set of projectors are better than the TYC, I just didn't have great results. I could t get my housing to seal up properly and got sick of trying in closing putting gore Tex patches and desiccant in them.

OP
OP
B

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I’m not really worried about custom look. I actually plan to do nothing to them except swap out projectors, as I really like the look of the OEM/TYC projectors. I just want a better, cleaner and brighter output with better hotspots. We do a lot of camping, so a lot of being out in the middle of nowhere. The TYC with HIDs are light years ahead of the OEM quads or even the TYC with halogen, but I still want better.

I’ve found OEM projectors from land rovers, Lexus, some fords, some Mazda, BMW, etc, for next to nothing. If I can make any of those work in the housings, I think output would be much better than the TYC.

Though I did re-price exactly what I need from retrofitsource, and can get the full kit I need for a touch under $300.

Unfortunately, for the time being I wont be spending any unnecessary money. I got sent home from work yesterday “until further notice”.

WhiteNBlackRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I've given up on my Alpharex gen 1 headlights officially. They're off the truck and in the box, and I will most likely be selling them soon (along with 2 sets of HID bulbs, Innovited 35w ballasts, a pair of Katana LEDs and a pair of Hikari Ultra LEDs). I have been toying with the idea of sticking the quads in for a few days and retrofitting my TYC with some flavor of D2S Projectors. I know Morimoto makes a retroquick kit that has everything needed, but including bulbs/ballasts, it's just shy of $500. I'd like to see if I can piece something together cheaper than that, but have no idea how hard it would be to mount the projectors. I don't have access to a mill or thin sheet metal to make a mounting bracket. I've been looking on ebay, and there are a ton of OEM projectors pulled from all kinds of cars (a lot of infinity, some nissan, a few Acura TL, cadillac, etc). How hard would it be to make something like this work? I hear nothing but great things about the TL projectors, that they basically have one of the best output available from an OEM projector. There are also a few EvoX-R and FXR projectors available.

Has anyone done something similar, instead of buying a kit with mounting bracket? How involved was it to get them mounted? What did you use? What I don't want to happen is to buy projectors, open my headlights, then realize there is no realistic way to make them work. The retroquick kit does not give options for other projectors, only the Mini D2S 5.0.

It appears I can buy the brackets separate, but I suppose I would need to call them to find out if the bracket works with whatever projector I decide to buy.
Will you be selling your old headlights?