Rocking sideways motion, I have a 2016 ram 1500 bighorn and when towing my 30' camper I can feel a sideways rocking motion.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maycraft1800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rocking sideways motion, I have a 2016 ram 1500 bighorn and when towing my 30' camper I can feel a sideways rocking motion. Never had this problem before. It just started...

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is it the truck or trailer?
If it's the trailer, check for any extra side loading or a problem with the suspension/axles. The axles you'll also want to check if they're still square to the frame and each other along with the axle bearings are still tight.
If it's the truck, has the tongue weight changed without the WDH being readjusted? Also check the shocks along with the sway bars. If the tire pressures are correct, rotate the tires front to back, a broke belt in a tire will effect handling under load.

OP
OP
M

Maycraft1800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
just coming from the truck. I had a 2011 ram 1500 and it pulled the camper with no issue. Got this 2016 ram and it has a rocking motion going side to side. Put new tires were on the truck. Good tire pressure, good weight distribution, good swaybar set up. Took a run from Maryland to North Carolina and going down everything was good but on the way back I started feeling the rocking motion. And if a big truck or a little gust of wind comes along it feels like she's rocking worse.

OP
OP
M

Maycraft1800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Winds were calm but it seems to unstable (rocking motion ) even without camper. Just seems like the truck does what it wants. Feels like the truck is wondering if that makes sense. Yes, towing the camper is worse in wind and even when traffic passes me.

OP
OP
M

Maycraft1800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Please understand that I don’t mean the trailer sways. The trailer is tracking straight from what I’ve been told from other drivers following me. It’s the truck that feeds like it’s rocking side to side.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Feels like the truck is wondering if that makes sense. Yes, towing the camper is worse in wind and even when traffic passes me.
I'll second what was mentioned above about the rear trailing arm along with the panhard bar bushings being worn.
If I remember correctly there was a thread about members who fixed a towing issue with replacing the panhard bar due to worn bushings.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What sway bar are your running? You can upgrade it to Eibach or Hellwig

Control arms and parhard bar bushings could be worn. You can upgrade them all to Core 4x4.

rear control arms, panhard bar, and sway bar upgrades will all help improve stability.

Let me know if you would like a quote on anything. We offer most aftermarket brands

OP
OP
M

Maycraft1800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
everything everyone has mentioned has been checked. I guess it's just a Ram issue. Maybe it's time for a change..

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Camper is 5600 pounds
30' long and 5600 lbs? Is that the dry weight or loaded weight?

It could be that your previous 2011 had leaf springs whereas your newer one has coil springs. That will change towing characteristics. I don't know if that's your issue (might not be) but a consideration. There could be a combination of factors contributing to it.

zrock

Reaction score
i would be curious about that as well 5600 lbs on a 30 ft trailer, my 28ft is heavier than that and its 1/2 ton towable. From shopping around i have not seen a 30 ft that is that light in dry weight.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Check the rear sway bar bushings and links on the truck.

Even if they aren't worn I highly recommend the Hellwig adjustable rear sway bar. It's significantly more beefy than the stock sway bar and makes the truck feel more planted while towing.