Rocking sideways motion, I have a 2016 ram 1500 bighorn and when towing my 30' camper I can feel a sideways rocking motion.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It could be that your previous 2011 had leaf springs whereas your newer one has coil springs.
One of the highlight changes for the Gen4 trucks starting in 2009 was the coil spring rear suspension. The 2500s didn't get the coil suspension till 2014 but the OP has a 1500.
Something has changed most likely on the OP's truck causing the rocking.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’d change your rear coils to tuftruck progressive springs. Cheaper than buying a new truck. This assumes everything else is working properly.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
everything everyone has mentioned has been checked. I guess it's just a Ram issue. Maybe it's time for a change..
That doesn’t make sense. It all of a sudden became a RAM? What was it before, a Ford?
The OP said it was working fine until recently. Seems to indicate something has changed, worn out or broken. Vehicles don’t just suddenly stop working properly because of their brand.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
One of the highlight changes for the Gen4 trucks starting in 2009 was the coil spring rear suspension. The 2500s didn't get the coil suspension till 2014 but the OP has a 1500.
Something has changed most likely on the OP's truck causing the rocking.
Ahh... you're right. I'm not nearly as familiar with the 1500 flavor. :)

I agree. Either something on the truck has changed, the load has changed, or a combination of them all.

dennisok

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Move any weight possible that is behind the trailer axels to the front of the trailer. If you can't move any significant weight put a couple bags of dry concrete mix in front of trailer and take for a test drive. If it helps you have a weight and ballance issue packing your trailer.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
OP, any chance you can provide a list of what has been checked? Folks are trying to help but everything mentioned has already been checked. A list would allow folks to mention things that have not been checked.