Royal Purple with 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLETCH14519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L
Hey guys and gals. New to the forum here. Been browsing around the past few months and decided to join.

To my question, is there anyone running the RP 0W-40 in their 6.4L on their ram trucks? There are soo many topics out there about various oils. I don’t mind spending the money on good oil, and I always had good luck with RP in my past vehicles. The truck has 26,000 Miles on it. Previous owner was running Amsoil in the truck. I know the Amsoil has the Chrysler “MS” rating from what I’ve seen on the forum, where as RP doesn’t (that I know of). I was going to switch over to RP, and run either their filter or a K&N filter.

And another question if RP is good to go, is the royal purple 0w-40 on Amazon the one to get? I keep saying it’s for European vehicular. What the picture shows anyway.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel. Or if it is best to just stick with Amsoil I can. I do have a minor lifting noise from what it sounds like. But also sounds like it’s normal with these trucks at times.

Last edited:

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Hey guys and gals. New to the forum here. Been browsing around the past few months and decided to join.

To my question, is there anyone running the RP 0W-40 in their 6.4L on their ram trucks? There are soo many topics out there about various oils. I don’t mind spending the money on good oil, and I always had good luck with RP in my past vehicles. The truck has 26,000 Miles on it. Previous owner was running Amsoil in the truck. I know the Amsoil has the Chrysler “MS” rating from what I’ve seen on the forum, where as RP doesn’t (that I know of). I was going to switch over to RP, and run either their filter or a K&N filter.

And another question if RP is good to go, is the royal purple 0w-40 on Amazon the one to get? I keep saying it’s for European vehicular. What the picture shows anyway.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel. Or if it is best to just stick with Amsoil I can. I do have a minor lifting noise from what it sounds like. But also sounds like it’s normal with these trucks at times.

Welcome sir!

Lifter noise is not “normal”. You have lifter noise .....than run redline. We have years and thousands of pages dedicated the Hemi tic.

Redline is the clear winner for the tic. It has stoped countless hemi’s from ticking. Give the moly 1000 miles or so to do its plating and your lifter noise should go away with the moly Ester/PAO combination.

That is the simple answer for ya.

Visit the “Synthetic Oil” thread.

Also, skip the k&N filter. Run the Royal Purple 20-820.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
RP oils test pretty poorly, but their oil filters are top of the heap. I have a noisy 6.4, and the only oil that keeps it at bay is Red Line. I have run their 0W40, and am currently running 5W40, which works better. As U&A correctly pointed out, it takes some miles for it to do its thing, and it will quiet down. Also, I have been running the Mopar SRT oil filter, which may not be equal to RP, but is much better than the stock filter, and many of the others, IMHO.

Contact Nick@GotExhaust on here for Red Line products!

OP
OP
FLETCH14519

FLETCH14519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L
Welcome sir!

Lifter noise is not “normal”. You have lifter noise .....than run redline. We have years and thousands of pages dedicated the Hemi tic.

Redline is the clear winner for the tic. It has stoped countless hemi’s from ticking. Give the moly 1000 miles or so to do its plating and your lifter noise should go away with the moly Ester/PAO combination.

That is the simple answer for ya.

Visit the “Synthetic Oil” thread.

Also, skip the k&N filter. Run the Royal Purple 20-820.

Awesome thank you for the response. What’s the best place to purchase the redline oil? And do I still run the 0w-40? Truck is not a daily driver. Probably drive it 3 times a week give or take.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
To be fair to the OP back in the day royal purple was actually pretty darn good oil. Many people still believe the formulations should be the same but they are vastly different today. All oils are.

it’s been long gone since they’ve been in the “good” category

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Awesome thank you for the response. What’s the best place to purchase the redline oil? And do I still run the 0w-40? Truck is not a daily driver. Probably drive it 3 times a week give or take.

A member on this form is a distributor and has excellent prices.

Nick@gotexhaust

You are welcome to run 0W 40 if he would like but the 5W 40 has a better base stock due to the fact it has much less viscosity index improvers.

OP
OP
FLETCH14519

FLETCH14519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L
A member on this form is a distributor and has excellent prices.

Nick@gotexhaust

You are welcome to run 0W 40 if he would like but the 5W 40 has a better base stock due to the fact it has much less viscosity index improvers.

My biggest thing is I want what is best for the truck. I am not a oil guru by no means (obviously why I posted). But if 5w 40 would be best I will run with that as long as it’s ok for the engine. Just don’t want to screw the truck up lol. Just purchased it in October last year.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My top two choices for the 6.4 is 0w40 PUP or 5w40 Redline, if you have the tick, 5w40 redline. if you can find find a royal purple fiter, get that. There are some other good 0w40's, I'd go to Amsoil before Royal Purple, Castrol Edge another top choice. Royal Purple once was a top oil, but in my opinion they have lost a lot of trust with a dodgy formula, you never know what you are gonna get, especially with the moly level. Redline highest moly, PUP great moly, Amsoil great moly, Castrol very good moly. Read this, moly basics. Oil guys loved RP because they used to be very high moly, then without any warning the uoa's showed no moly for a decade, forget that ****. And, that is just one thing, there are plenty other reasons why we like other oils better, if you miss the purple dye you can always buy some and toss it in there:)

m1 also a great great 0w40, but they don't even recomend that for a hemi spec. But still, a great choice as well.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Burla, U&A just additional info. In our truck group of 32, two of us tried PUP 0-40 4grts and PUP 5-30 3grts mix at the 1000 mile oil change. Why? both 6.4 had short 1-3 second lifter noise on cold morning start. We believe, simple over night bleed down. Post oil change and from the first start, neither engine have had cold start noise. One is at 2500 miles and the other 3800 miles. Fitz

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My top two choices for the 6.4 is 0w40 PUP or 5w40 Redline, if you have the tick, 5w40 redline. if you can find find a royal purple fiter, get that. There are some other good 0w40's, I'd go to Amsoil before Royal Purple, Castrol Edge another top choice. Royal Purple once was a top oil, but in my opinion they have lost a lot of trust with a dodgy formula, you never know what you are gonna get, especially with the moly level. Redline highest moly, PUP great moly, Amsoil great moly, Castrol very good moly. Read this, moly basics. Oil guys loved RP because they used to be very high moly, then without any warning the uoa's showed no moly for a decade, forget that ****. And, that is just one thing, there are plenty other reasons why we like other oils better, if you miss the purple dye you can always buy some and toss it in there:)

m1 also a great great 0w40, but they don't even recomend that for a hemi spec. But still, a great choice as well.
I am just wondering given this synopsis- if the PUP 0-40 has a great moly WITH the 12633 stamp, and Red Line has the highest moly w/o the FCA gods' stamp of approval, is there a reason- while still in warranty- Red Line would be an alternative? Just thinking out loud here. For me the Red Line will work out to about $22 bucks more per change vs the already expensive PUP. I have been going through this exercise over the last little while since I feel like I am being flogged on the PUP I buy :/

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I am just wondering given this synopsis- if the PUP 0-40 has a great moly WITH the 12633 stamp, and Red Line has the highest moly w/o the FCA gods' stamp of approval, is there a reason- while still in warranty- Red Line would be an alternative? Just thinking out loud here. For me the Red Line will work out to about $22 bucks more per change vs the already expensive PUP. I have been going through this exercise over the last little while since I feel like I am being flogged on the PUP I buy :/

Speaking for myself only, despite the great specs, my 6.4 had startup clatter, and hot tick with PUP 0W40, and the "general noisiness" would return after a couple thousand miles. So, at least for me, the real world performance of Red Line is demonstrably better.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

I would not run anything BUT redline 5w40 in my 6.4. But that is because iv seen to many ticing hemi stories. Im scared of it.

Always subject to change if we find something better though.

If you engine is quite and you like PUP0w40 than run it. If the tic appears, you know what to run.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Everybodies strategy is thier own deal, some people are more worried about warranty then their truck and believe they will be denied if used something not cert even though there isn't one case of that being held up in court. But, PUP 0w40 may be the best choice for the 6.4 anyhow depending on what you are looking for. Clean base oil, heavy detergency, film strength, cold flow and moly, that oil has it all, run it with confidence.

We don't really need to discuss redline's credentials anymore, the long term results are in and that is why a lot of guys are runnning it. But just to be devil's advocate, guys like Corey and Kyle ran PUP 0w40 and their trucks were quieter on redline, ronnie did a long term uoa with pup 0w40 and redline was way better. There are examples of the why it is a good idea ro run redline over PUP, but if warranty is your main concern there isn't a damn thing wrong with running 0w40 PUP.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I also have the lifetime warranty and I still run Redline 5W30 in my 5.7 HEMI. Granted there are some pretty "decent" oils out there that meet the spec but I guarantee you long term you're still going to have some kind of a tick esp. if you run a long interval. Redline still has great numbers even at 10K+ miles. I personally am not a fan of Pennzoil for the HEMI because I still had tick with all three(PYB,PP,PUP)and cam and lifter problems later on. Maybe if I had tried 5W30 instead of 20 it would have made a difference, we'll never know.
If you're worried about the warranty go on Amazon buy 7 quarts of something that is approved, print out a receipt and then cancel the order. Then you have a receipt for your warranty. Put in some Redline and then sleep good at night knowing your engine has the absolute best oil available. Now if you don't do your own oil changes that's a different ball game.

OP
OP
FLETCH14519

FLETCH14519

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L
Awesome guys, thanks for all the great info. Never heard of RedLine until I owned this ram. Looks like I will be switching to RedLine and giving that a shot, with a RP oil filter.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would not run anything BUT redline 5w40 in my 6.4. But that is because iv seen to many ticing hemi stories. Im scared of it.

Always subject to change if we find something better though.

If you engine is quite and you like PUP0w40 than run it. If the tic appears, you know what to run.

My 6.4 sounds like a box of crickets haha!

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Everybodies strategy is thier own deal, some people are more worried about warranty then their truck and believe they will be denied if used something not cert even though there isn't one case of that being held up in court. But, PUP 0w40 may be the best choice for the 6.4 anyhow depending on what you are looking for. Clean base oil, heavy detergency, film strength, cold flow and moly, that oil has it all, run it with confidence.

We don't really need to discuss redline's credentials anymore, the long term results are in and that is why a lot of guys are runnning it. But just to be devil's advocate, guys like Corey and Kyle ran PUP 0w40 and their trucks were quieter on redline, ronnie did a long term uoa with pup 0w40 and redline was way better. There are examples of the why it is a good idea ro run redline over PUP, but if warranty is your main concern there isn't a damn thing wrong with running 0w40 PUP.
My question was more of a "devils advocate" question that I thought might lend a little more info for anyone who just happened to browse this thread quickly. I am so close to the end of my warranty that I am not concerned about it too much which is why I have been looking for something I don't have to buy through the dealership. Red Line hit the top of the heap after going through the synthetic thread, but I can't find a cost effective supplier for it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
RLK's uoa was a shocker, most PUP wear numbers are less then most other oils. I've always veiwed it as the lowest wear number oil from the uoa's I've seen, usually lower then redline. However, a pattern is forming with long term wear numbers with redline whereas they are good as you can get imo. First or second uoa with redline are ok, by the time you get to 3 and 4 that are very impressive to anyone who sees them.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I also have the lifetime warranty and I still run Redline 5W30 in my 5.7 HEMI. Granted there are some pretty "decent" oils out there that meet the spec but I guarantee you long term you're still going to have some kind of a tick esp. if you run a long interval. Redline still has great numbers even at 10K+ miles. I personally am not a fan of Pennzoil for the HEMI because I still had tick with all three(PYB,PP,PUP)and cam and lifter problems later on. Maybe if I had tried 5W30 instead of 20 it would have made a difference, we'll never know.
If you're worried about the warranty go on Amazon buy 7 quarts of something that is approved, print out a receipt and then cancel the order. Then you have a receipt for your warranty. Put in some Redline and then sleep good at night knowing your engine has the absolute best oil available. Now if you don't do your own oil changes that's a different ball game.

As always great info TF, but we are talking about the 6.4 and PUP 0w40 is a completely different oil the PUP 5w20, mainly the moly content plus visc, as they are for the 6.4. But yeah, PP was a real bad rep in the hemi in a lot of them, not all, but a fair number, and I imagine PUP wouldn't be far behind. I just think if you look at PP's numbers 5w30 is only a tad high visc and imo really needed for guys wanting to run pennzoil. I run 5w30 PUP in the wife's car and will for years if not decades, love the stuff.