Royal Purple with 6.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals. New to the forum here. Been browsing around the past few months and decided to join.

To my question, is there anyone running the RP 0W-40 in their 6.4L on their ram trucks? There are soo many topics out there about various oils. I don’t mind spending the money on good oil, and I always had good luck with RP in my past vehicles. The truck has 26,000 Miles on it. Previous owner was running Amsoil in the truck. I know the Amsoil has the Chrysler “MS” rating from what I’ve seen on the forum, where as RP doesn’t (that I know of). I was going to switch over to RP, and run either their filter or a K&N filter.

And another question if RP is good to go, is the royal purple 0w-40 on Amazon the one to get? I keep saying it’s for European vehicular. What the picture shows anyway.

Not trying to reinvent the wheel. Or if it is best to just stick with Amsoil I can. I do have a minor lifting noise from what it sounds like. But also sounds like it’s normal with these trucks at times.

RP meets 0w40 meets European specs NOT the specs for your 6.4L.

Get Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 on Amazon or sometimes Oreilly's has a sale on it.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run Amsoil 0w40 Signature Series in my 6.4 and she purrs like a kitten. If I start to get the tick I'll move to 5w40 to try and prevent lifter leak down while it sits cold. If that doesn't help I'll try Redline 5w40 just because of all the success stories with Hemis. If I weren't a biased person I would start with the Redline. But I am a pretty diehard Amsoil person, so until it lets me down that's where I'll stay.

spg993tt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is that still the part# for the RP filter 20-820, for a 2021 Ram 2500 6.4L ??

Welcome sir!

Lifter noise is not “normal”. You have lifter noise .....than run redline. We have years and thousands of pages dedicated the Hemi tic.

Redline is the clear winner for the tic. It has stoped countless hemi’s from ticking. Give the moly 1000 miles or so to do its plating and your lifter noise should go away with the moly Ester/PAO combination.

That is the simple answer for ya.

Visit the “Synthetic Oil” thread.

Also, skip the k&N filter. Run the Royal Purple 20-820.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]