S&B CAI from Moe's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Got home from work on Friday to find a large box from Moe's Performance had arrived, my birthday present from my wife: an S&B CAI. Goodies.jpg
Goodies galore

Blazing hot here today but I got 'er done in about 90 minutes.
Finished S&B Install.jpg
Finished install

A couple of things to be aware of: The first step should be "turn steering to hard right before shutting down the vehicle." Then it should begin with removal of OEM equipment as the next step. The S&B instructions aren't bad, but they gloss over the PITA part of removing the right front wheel liner to access the bolts to remove the OEM filter box base and later install the S&B box. Turning the wheels to the right makes for more clearance and once you've pulled the OEM intake you really don't want to start the truck until the TB is drawing air through a filter again.
As to the wheel liner, the instructions say there are five screws and three plastic pins. Well, on my 2012 sport, there are four plastic pins, two are wide flat heads that are a ****** to remove and two are small heads that are less of a ******. The S&B Kit does come with three replacements for the two smaller head plastic pins, but nothing that looks like the difficult to remove wide head version. Fortunately I was able to re-use both fat heads, so just a minor nuisance. Also, the instructions talk about removing a wiring harness once you loosen the wheel liner but not where it is specifically--when I read the directins (gasp manhood alert) it sounded as if there were a wiring harness passing through the are of the air box. In reality on my truck it is a support fastner on the lower trailing edge of the wheel liner near the firewall. It was just a matter of sliding the harness attachment loose and putting it back afterward.

Now the important part: I went with an enclosed CAI because the K&N I had on my Durango about shook every filling out of my teeth under load. The S&B adds a nice throttle note and a slightly deeper exhaust tone--but no deafening roar in the cab.

The performance is there however. A nice increase in acceleration as measured by my fully calibrated driver's butt and a modest 1 MPG increase over my normal city mileage, even with a lot of WOT starts and passing lane changes to fully assess the improvements.

I'm a very happy camper right now. :mfr_omg: I just have to convince my wife an 85mm TB is what she needs to give me for Xmas (father's day would be cool too).

Last edited:

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Look great on there...Congrats!

URdone21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet! Looks good and congrats!

I have the same CAI and today I decided that I didn't like that the clear lid provides a small gap for hot air to enter. The gap goes all the way around the lid. So I lined the edges of the lid with some black sponge tape. Maybe I'm just paranoid but it was only like $4 and makes me feel better about the seal on that lid. Happy mod'n!

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
looks nice...gotta love when the wife lets you get stuff like that for birthdays! lol my wife got me the torque converter valvebody package from moes for my birthday

kschaefer426

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
haha all it took was for my wife to go to the drag track once with my dad and I and now shes as hooked on power as I am...or at least she pretends to be haha either way its a win/win for me

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
S&B CAI from Moe's

Awesome man congrats on the new CAI!! It's especially nice that you got it as a present and didn't have to pay for it :waytogo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The new intake looks great!! I know you have been thinking long and hard about the intakes, so I'm glad that you are happy with the finished product.

OP
OP
Casper

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The new intake looks great!! I know you have been thinking long and hard about the intakes, so I'm glad that you are happy with the finished product.
You sir, have a gift for understatment. This wasn't my first rodeo and I really didn't want the induction drone like my last open intake CAI, or too hot rodded of a look. Thanks to members of this forum, and very knowledgeable and helpful vendors like yourself, I found the right compromise.
Took the family for a ride last night (proof of concept). I was the only one who noticed the minor increase in throttle/exhaust note so that was win number one, but I know she noticed the acceleration 'cause I got a couple "honey slow downs" and that was win number two :rofl:

OP
OP
Casper

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Awesome man congrats on the new CAI!! It's especially nice that you got it as a present and didn't have to pay for it :waytogo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Well, still comes out of the same bank account, but its guilt free. :party52:

OP
OP
Casper

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not to belabor the point, but one week after install with > 500 miles it is still a kick-ass mod, and my MPG is rocking about 1.5 MPG higher--and yet I smoked a Gen 3 today with a loud ass exhaust on a hill before popping the parkway on-ramp. If his loud pipes hadn't annoyed me, I would have left him alone. All muffler, no bolt on. :peace:

And no, I don't consider a CAI to be a serious bolt on. :D

Last edited: