Safe to have a new 4x4 towed with wheels on the ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick Wilson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys after my concern with the ram the dealership is sending a tow truck now im worried this is just going to create another problem for the non broken in tranny since its a 50km tow to the dealership

jbrown5030

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If they know it's a 4x4 they should be sending a flatbed for it, but I think you can flat tow it if the trans is in gear and the transfer case is in neutral. Should be in your owners manual.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's a neutral release strap behind the plastic panel right below the headlights.... you need to pull it to put the truck into neutral before towing it. Look in the owners manual and it tells you exactly what you need to do....

column shift:
dial shift:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There's a neutral release strap behind the plastic panel right below the headlights.... you need to pull it to put the truck into neutral before towing it. Look in the owners manual and it tells you exactly what you need to do....
Yes, definitely look in the owners manual, because this is not how you flat tow a 4x4 ram. The transmission must be in park, and the transfer case must be in neutral.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ This is great information
Jay

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Hey guys after my concern with the ram the dealership is sending a tow truck now im worried this is just going to create another problem for the non broken in tranny since its a 50km tow to the dealership

Yes, turn key to the accessory position to unlock the steering wheel put transmission in neutral and put 4x4 in neutral then put the transmission back in park. the ignition doesn’t have to be in the run position.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road package

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Transmission stays in park. Only transfer case gets put in neutral.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
You want the transmission in Park, the transfer case in neutral.

If you put both in neutral, the turning driveshaft will lightly turn the input components of the transfer case through bearing friction and oil viscosity... Which will in turn rotate the output components of the transmission... Not something you want to do...

Seriously, if your dealer doesn't send a heavy duty rollback, wave the wrecker off and call for your own... The drive train of these new-fangled trucks are just too touchy and expensive to take chances with...

Gawd I love electronic shifts... (sarcasm intended)

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Insist it be flatbed towed. Agree with the other posts. It's not worth the risk to tow it with the wheels on the ground. I've seen many a destroyed transmission and transfer case from towing 4x4s incorrectly with wheels on the ground. A lot of tow truck drivers wouldn't know any better, unfortunately

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilo670