Safer. Stage 1 full cam kit install or whipple supercharger.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It did not blow up. I pulled everything off of it, put back to stock, and traded it in on a 2500. Internals looked great when we pulled it apart. I wasn't running a ton of boost. Combination of everything gave me right at 430 hp / 450 ft/lbs to the wheels. Never gave me a stitch of an issue. Other than finding traction.
Where you whippled or pro charged?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How can I go long tubes and still be street legal in nyc. Pass insp etc
Take the money you are going to spend and GET OUT of NYC while you still can.

Attachments

• 2022-State-Population-Change-2022-state-migration-trends.-Americans-moving-to-low-tax-states-u...png
    2022-State-Population-Change-2022-state-migration-trends.-Americans-moving-to-low-tax-states-u...png
    552.7 KB · Views: 12

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For a DD keep it simple and reliable. After I had a failed lifter, I went with comp cams 216/222 truck cam, non MDS lifters, long tube headers, 18" magnaflow and a dyno tune. And a True Trac, my truck had an open diff.
That was enough for 322 hp at the wheels, 62 over stock. (Mine's a 4x4). That's plenty to sound good, play with and have fun at the track. No it's not the fastest but I can still do truck stuff and she's reliable to daily drive.

OP
OP
G

greecegreens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I called whipple and the person said they installed the 3.0 on there truck when they used in testing and he's gone 35k miles on it with a 2020 ram 1500 and everything is still running smooth. He claims as long as regular maintenance is done truck should last just as long... not sure how much I should believe that lol

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
So I called whipple and the person said they installed the 3.0 on there truck when they used in testing and he's gone 35k miles on it with a 2020 ram 1500 and everything is still running smooth. He claims as long as regular maintenance is done truck should last just as long... not sure how much I should believe that lol
Believe it as long as a competent tuner is involved. Adding boost to any engine requires parts and tuning. Without those you might as well just expect your engine to grenade.

OP
OP
G

greecegreens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Believe it as long as a competent tuner is involved. Adding boost to any engine requires parts and tuning. Without those you might as well just expect your engine to grenade.
Well apparently it's the whipple 3.0 to stock truck and the tuner they provide ...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well apparently it's the whipple 3.0 to stock truck and the tuner they provide ...
Check out the rep on the 3.0,it doesn't have as good rep as the older whipples have.Apparently it's been known to have issues,i know lots of car guys are yelling about the newer whipples and their life expectancy ,on the hi-po car pages.Have you considered doing a pro-charger instead,it's easier on the engine with a linear power curve,it doesn't make as much torque off idle as the whipple,but that also means it's easier on the pistons / rods and transmission.

Last edited:

HemiSam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Whipple has issues with their blowers having bolts come loose. They have not responded aggressively in years...after eating many a motor.

I love blowers...just not Whipples. Best of luck.

HS

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
Hey Guys

Was looking to get some real hp increase under the hood but don't want to destroy my transmission.
Whats a safer bet. Stage 1 full cam kit install or a whipple supercharger
Both are going to do harm to your transmission depending on how you drive it. Same with u-joints. For a HEMI though, go with the cam, not the supercharger. The top ring on a HEMI is very cose to the top of the piston and does not hold up well to boost. The 6.2 in the Hellcat is built for forced induction, the standard HEMI is not. If you like driving it, dont do either. If you just have to have the ****, go with the cam. If you are looking for a reason to pull the motor and rebuild it, go with the supercharger.

OP
OP
G

greecegreens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Both are going to do harm to your transmission depending on how you drive it. Same with u-joints. For a HEMI though, go with the cam, not the supercharger. The top ring on a HEMI is very cose to the top of the piston and does not hold up well to boost. The 6.2 in the Hellcat is built for forced induction, the standard HEMI is not. If you like driving it, dont do either. If you just have to have the ****, go with the cam. If you are looking for a reason to pull the motor and rebuild it, go with the supercharger.
Should I pull the engine and change out the rod /pistons with FRP gen 3 drop ins?
At 1800 bucks it's not going to break the bank if installing myself

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Should I pull the engine and change out the rod /pistons with FRP gen 3 drop ins?
At 1800 bucks it's not going to break the bank if installing myself
If you're going to boost it,and want to drive it hard afterwards,it's probably a good idea to do pistons and rods. Talk to Ryan at FRP to see what he reconmends,as you can also get a cam spec'd to your requirements from him to.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I'd also recommend the @caulk04 transmission cooler bypass mod to keep your tranny cooler, and the PPE transmission pan with a full fluid change to Red Line automatic transmission fluid.

Edlebrock E-Force is also a neat supercharger and works well with the 5.7. If you're looking for high end, perhaps Kenne Bell.

I'd still put in a decent mannered cam with higher quality valves, springs, retainers, etc., and long tube headers. Then go with HP Tuners and find someone who knows how to really dial in a safe tune with this set up.

You're going there... why not Thitek heads and be done with it altogether! ARP studs and Cometic gaskets, too! Oh yes... ATI Super Damper for forced induction; keep it all balanced out properly ;)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'd also recommend the @caulk04 transmission cooler bypass mod to keep your tranny cooler, and the PPE transmission pan with a full fluid change to Red Line automatic transmission fluid.

Edlebrock E-Force is also a neat supercharger and works well with the 5.7. If you're looking for high end, perhaps Kenne Bell.

I'd still put in a decent mannered cam with higher quality valves, springs, retainers, etc., and long tube headers. Then go with HP Tuners and find someone who knows how to really dial in a safe tune with this set up.

You're going there... why not Thitek heads and be done with it altogether! ARP studs and Cometic gaskets, too! Oh yes... ATI Super Damper for forced induction; keep it all balanced out properly ;)
I agree with everything except using Redline in an 8 speed,don't do it,lol.Redline in the 8 speed doesn't have a good rep. Valvolene Maxlife or OEM fluid.