School me please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
I do not do mechanical work other than oil change, brake pads. So lifting is all foreign to me. I know nothing about tire sizes, etc. Basically all I want to do is level my front end and get some more aggressive tires. When I say more aggressive tires, 95% of the time it'll be my road queen so I'm not looking for crazy road noise and bad ride quality. I'm still not sure if I want to buy new wheels either, I was thinking just bigger tires on my stock rims.

Is this a pipe dream? Would I bilstein 5100's be all I need for the front level? What about tire sizes on stock rims?

I also have the 3.21 gears, just an FYI

Ox69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
5100's are the way to go. Also take a measurement front and rear to find the height differents. So you know where to set the bils.

tbridg00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What Size wheels did your's come with 17's or 20's?

jdwaynes1980

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Because he may have the same question, and I'm wondering myself, I'll ask it here...

If you put the 5100's on the front at 2.1, do you need to do anything to the rear, or will that make it level? What about if you do 2.8... anything needed in the rear?

Hope this helps the OP as well so not to hijack his thread.

Thanks!

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Because he may have the same question, and I'm wondering myself, I'll ask it here...

If you put the 5100's on the front at 2.1, do you need to do anything to the rear, or will that make it level? What about if you do 2.8... anything needed in the rear?

Hope this helps the OP as well so not to hijack his thread.

Thanks!
There is generally a 3" rake (3" lower in the front) from the factory. You definitely don't need to do anything to the rear, but some do just to get some more lift. 2.1" usually won't level it out completely, but it will appear as though it is much more leveled. Hopefully you understand what I mean.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
All trucks are different from the factory. You need to measure YOUR own truck in order to find out what your factory rake is and determine how high you need to go to level it. The majority of people will leave approximately 0.5" of rake to avoid looking nose high. Especially when hauling/towing.

Bilstein 5100's are the best option for leveling for a number of reasons. You shouldn't have any issues setting them at either 2.1" or 2.8" provide the installation is done correctly.

For tires I'd recommend 295/60/20 Toyo AT2's or AT2 Extreme's. They're a great all around tire with an aggressive look that will still handle and perform very well on the street. Toyo makes some of the best tires in the business IMO. I've been very happy with all the sets I've run and anyone I know that's ran them as been happy as well.

Regarding the question about the rear spacers; refer to the first paragraph of this post. You won't know until you measure your own truck.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'd do bilstein 5100s up front with 275/65/20 Goodyear Duratracs

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You have lots of options so much of this comes down to personal choice. I'd recommend Bilsteins @ 2.1" with the stock rear, or Bilsteins at 2.8" with a small rear coil spacer (my preferred setup). Both are very popular.

On stock wheels and considering your usage, my tire choice would be the Toto AT2 Extreme or the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (the one I prefer for the look, they are basically the same tire from the same factory). Both look great, and they're relatively quiet tires that ride great. Size choice would be 295/60/20 on the stock wheel with 3.21 gears. At this size speedo error is also negligible. 295/65/20 would also work (or 12.5x35 with wheel spacers), but to me they look too 'stuffed' into the wheel well with just a level, and at that height I'd want to fix the speedo (which means a few hundred $$$ more, and a custom tune for your truck with all the warranty implications that come with ECU flashing).

csuthrower04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm on the same path at Iczer but I have a 2013 slt 4x4 with the 17 inch 5 stoke factory wheels. I was planning on bilsteins at 2.8 with a .75 inch rear spacer. Can I get away with running 285 75 17s on my stock wheels as long as I use a1/4 inch wheel spacer?

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you guys like the stock wheels that much? When you buy wheel/tire packages you can get badass wheels cheap when buying the tires with them.

csuthrower04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really like the way that my stock rims look on my current rig. I will change them out if I have to, but I am hoping I can keep them and still install a decent sized tire

darendeath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
What year/trim is your rig iczer? I could use school time too.
I just got my 2014 V6 4x4 crew cab with the steel 17" wheels. I would like a small lift and figured if I put 20" wheels and did the least lift, about 1.5-2.5, I'd be set. I really like the mpg I'm getting with the V6 and don't want to bog down with oversized wheels and lift. My truck is my main driver and I family camp and hunt, fish in Cali. Any other suggestions or opinions?

OP
OP
I

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
Do you guys like the stock wheels that much? When you buy wheel/tire packages you can get badass wheels cheap when buying the tires with them.

Where is a good place to get package wheels/rims? places like tire rack or something?

darendeath

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Tire rack online has a widget to see what the rims look like on the basic model. It would be really cool if you could add lift and different wheel sizes. I don't know if they have the best packages.