Seat belt chime 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On so the new 23 2500 came in today. Used the standard procedure to try to shut the seat belt chime off like I always have in the past. No go this time. Any new procedure or option?

DAVsam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Worked on my 22 laramie. Run position. Three latch and unlatch. Off
Should get a ring of the bell when set

OP
OP
FF1899

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Start latched then after key on unhook and rehook 3 times. Key off right?

OP
OP
FF1899

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK so for future reference for anyone looking. 2023 no longer works with the old procedure. My buddy works at a local dealer and said there was changes to them atleast on the 2500s for 23. However he was able to shut it off with the dealer scan tool. Another note at the same time, the dealer scan tool can no longer control the tpms sensors atleast as of right now to lower the pressure threshold for the warning light like many 2500 owners have in the past.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK so for future reference for anyone looking. 2023 no longer works with the old procedure. My buddy works at a local dealer and said there was changes to them atleast on the 2500s for 23. However he was able to shut it off with the dealer scan tool. Another note at the same time, the dealer scan tool can no longer control the tpms sensors atleast as of right now to lower the pressure threshold for the warning light like many 2500 owners have in the past.
That's because the new 2500's come with the 245/75R17 E tires that require 75 and 80 PSI, front and rear, respectively. It says so on the door pillar. And that is the pressure required for every day driving all the way up to your maximum GVWR. Folks were trying to reset their TPMS warning to come on at a much lower PSI because they were erroneously thinking that it works like the old days where you set your PSI based on your current axle weight. It does not work that way with the 2023 2500's. I've been through this...with the dealer, with Stellantis, and with the tire manufacturer. And with a number of members on this site.

As a matter of fact, you can look up that particular size tire of any tire manufacturer, and as long as you put in "2023 RAM 2500" most of them give you a warning in red on the product page that this tire for that vehicle has specific parameters. I've been running mine as indicated on the pillar for 3 1/2 months now and there isn't the tiniest indication of center wear, and it doesn't ride particularly rough as you might expect.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's because the new 2500's come with the 245/75R17 E tires that require 75 and 80 PSI, front and rear, respectively. It says so on the door pillar. And that is the pressure required for every day driving all the way up to your maximum GVWR. Folks were trying to reset their TPMS warning to come on at a much lower PSI because they were erroneously thinking that it works like the old days where you set your PSI based on your current axle weight. It does not work that way with the 2023 2500's. I've been through this...with the dealer, with Stellantis, and with the tire manufacturer. And with a number of members on this site.

As a matter of fact, you can look up that particular size tire of any tire manufacturer, and as long as you put in "2023 RAM 2500" most of them give you a warning in red on the product page that this tire for that vehicle has specific parameters. I've been running mine as indicated on the pillar for 3 1/2 months now and there isn't the tiniest indication of center wear, and it doesn't ride particularly rough as you might expect.
Physics doesn’t change, especially for a 2023 ram 2500, and that’s why tire manufacturers have load index charts.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Physics doesn’t change, especially for a 2023 ram 2500, and that’s why tire manufacturers have load index charts.
Very true - and that's why the all tire manufacturer's charts for that specific tire on my specific truck all say 75 - 80 PSI.

Check it out for yourself. Just punch in the specs from my truck below and look for Firestone Transforce HT, 245/70R17 E, 119/116R.

Matter of fact...page 6, hilighted in yellow.

Attachments

• Firestone_Inflation-tables.pdf
    338.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Very true - and that's why the all tire manufacturer's charts for that specific tire on my specific truck all say 75 - 80 PSI.

Check it out for yourself. Just punch in the specs from my truck below and look for Firestone Transforce HT, 245/70R17 E, 119/116R.

Matter of fact...page 6, hilighted in yellow.
Does your truck weigh 12,000 pounds all the time?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Does your truck weigh 12,000 pounds all the time?
Nope, but the pillar, and the book, and the chart, and the manufacturer all say that 80 PSI is what they are to be kept at from current axle weight all the way up to GVWR. And since the TPMS can't be reset, I'm making a guess that the engineers got tired of folks second-guessing them and just fixed it from their end.

I've towed a lot, all my adult life, and I'm not disagreeing with your premise that they should be lowered to probably about 35 PSI. But they can't because the system won't let me do it and there is a reason for that. It is what it is, and as long as my tires don't show any center wear I don't really care and I will have to guess that the engineers know what they're doing.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Nope, but the pillar, and the book, and the chart, and the manufacturer all say that 80 PSI is what they are to be kept at from current axle weight all the way up to GVWR. And since the TPMS can't be reset, I'm making a guess that the engineers got tired of folks second-guessing them and just fixed it from their end.

I've towed a lot, all my adult life, and I'm not disagreeing with your premise that they should be lowered to probably about 35 PSI. But they can't because the system won't let me do it and there is a reason for that. It is what it is, and as long as my tires don't show any center wear I don't really care and I will have to guess that the engineers know what they're doing.
The reason for that is called NHTSA regulations. They HAVE to tell you to inflate them all the way to save people from themselves when they don’t increase inflation pressures when they add weight to the vehicle.
No amount of regulation can change physics though. If you don’t have 3000 lbs on one of your tires inflated at 80 psi, then the center will wear out faster than if it was inflated to the proper psi vs the weight on the tire. Any thing you say otherwise, you wouldn’t be arguing with me, you’d have to argue with science.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I tried a bunch of ways on my '20 and couldn't get it to work* so I got a 3" seatbelt extender and get the best of both worlds - the seatbelt chime goes away AND it's much easier to buckle up.

*When I did the prescribed method it disabled the "fob not in vehicle" warning, which makes my wife happy.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The reason for that is called NHTSA regulations. They HAVE to tell you to inflate them all the way to save people from themselves when they don’t increase inflation pressures when they add weight to the vehicle.
No amount of regulation can change physics though. If you don’t have 3000 lbs on one of your tires inflated at 80 psi, then the center will wear out faster than if it was inflated to the proper psi vs the weight on the tire. Any thing you say otherwise, you wouldn’t be arguing with me, you’d have to argue with science.
And again, I'm not disagreeing with you that that should be how it works because that's always how it has worked. But, since I cannot reset the TPMS to what my mind tells me it should be (somewhere around 38-40 PSI), and because my TPMS alert will flash and chime non-stop until I air the tires back up to 80 PSI, and because I cannot change that parameter, I have no other option than to run them and the 75/80 PSI that the pillar, book, and dealer tells me to. It is what it is.

And before you suggest it, I have already lowered my PSI to 40 and tried to hit the OK button to disable the TPMS until the next time I start the truck. That doesn't work. The warning continues to flash and the chime continues to sound until I fix the issue. So I had to air everything back up to 80 PSI and start over again.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And again, I'm not disagreeing with you that that should be how it works because that's always how it has worked. But, since I cannot reset the TPMS to what my mind tells me it should be (somewhere around 38-40 PSI), and because my TPMS alert will flash and chime non-stop until I air the tires back up to 80 PSI, and because I cannot change that parameter, I have no other option than to run them and the 75/80 PSI that the pillar, book, and dealer tells me to. It is what it is.

And before you suggest it, I have already lowered my PSI to 40 and tried to hit the OK button to disable the TPMS until the next time I start the truck. That doesn't work. The warning continues to flash and the chime continues to sound until I fix the issue. So I had to air everything back up to 80 PSI and start over again.
You just need to lower the threasholds with AlfaOBD.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You just need to lower the threasholds with AlfaOBD.
As FF1899 said in Post #4, "...the dealer scan tool can no longer control the tpms sensors atleast as of right now to lower the pressure threshold for the warning light like many 2500 owners have in the past." If his dealer can't do it with their scan tool, I'm making an educated guess it can't be done with an aftermarket tool either.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
As FF1899 said in Post #4, "...the dealer scan tool can no longer control the tpms sensors atleast as of right now to lower the pressure threshold for the warning light like many 2500 owners have in the past." If his dealer can't do it with their scan tool, I'm making an educated guess it can't be done with an aftermarket tool either.
You would likely be wrong about that. The dealer told me they could not adjust my TPMS limits as they did not have access anymore on my 2021 2500. Said they haven't been able to adjust that for quite a few years. They also can't disable TPMS anymore either. AlphaOBD adjusted the TPMS limits no problem at all. Was worth the price just to fix that.

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
AlfaOBD can absolutely lower the tire pressure thresholds.
Stellantis/FCA has not made that option available to dealer’s scan tools since about 2016, for liability to the dealership reasons because of NHTSA regulations.
Chrysler engineering software (the software that the engineers use to configure the vehicles) IS able to lower the thresholds, and AlfaOBD is designed around the Chrysler engineering software.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You would likely be wrong about that. The dealer told me they could not adjust my TPMS limits as they did not have access anymore on my 2021 2500. Said they haven't been able to adjust that for quite a few years. They also can't disable TPMS anymore either. AlphaOBD adjusted the TPMS limits no problem at all. Was worth the price just to fix that.
OK...if I begin to notice unusual early center wear on my tires I will look into that.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I just purchased a new 2023 2500 and WAS able to stop the seat belt chimes using the old method of doing this. Worked the first time. I had misplaced the notes I made back in 2004 when I muted the chime so I went on another forum and was able to get the correct procedure again.

1- Start with the seatbelt on and truck off.
2-Press start button with foot off brake.
3-Unbuckle and buckle your seatbelt 3 times w/in 10 seconds.
4-Foot on brake and press start button then turn truck off.
5- Open door.