Service Department issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brennie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New to the forum, but been lurking for a while.
I took my 2014 Ram sport to the dealership to have a back-up camera installed, they did a nice job...but charged 8 hours labour to do it. Then as a bonus, when I got it home the power lock on the tailgate wasn't working. I took it back the next day, left it there all day, I called them to ask if it was done they said "yes". I went to pick it up and they told me "there was a communication error with the shop" and it turns out they didn't even look at it!
I had to take it back today, so hopefully i'm important enough to fix it this time.
How much labour time should it take to install? It's a tailgate handle camera and the 8.4 inch screen. Any feedback would be appreciated.

ohengineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So you're getting the 8.4AN installed, too? I didn't know a dealer would do that, either way that is going to add a bit of labor, but not much. Whole thing shouldn't be quoted at more than 2.5 hours. I'd call around, see what other dealers are quoting for that installation.

OP
OP
B

Brennie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The truck was equipped with the 8.4 display. So I imagine it should have been a straight forward installation.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hope you don't get bent over for all those hours. I asked about having one installed today and the total labor came out to 300 for 2.5 hrs. I think I'll just throw it in and have them flash the code.

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hope you don't get bent over for all those hours. I asked about having one installed today and the total labor came out to 300 for 2.5 hrs. I think I'll just throw it in and have them flash the code.

Keep in mind they will charge you 100 to update the computer. Hate stealerships.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sometimes the truck is not pre-wired for the camera and there are a lot of wires to pull and connectors to open and add pins to, but even thats not 8 hours. Sounds like they never done one before....

The local dealer here sells the camera for a 2014 with camera ready radios (RA2, RA3 or RA4) installed for $450, thats maybe $150 labor, a couple hours.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 7.00.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-19 at 7.00.30 PM.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brennie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They claim the have done lots. It was my mistake not to get a written quote before hand. I will phone another dealership in town and get a quote, then go back and argue the bill.

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some dealers now have the accessory catalog on their parts page, where you can check accessory prices and installation costs.

bighorn2014

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue as OP last week. When I was asking the guy at the desk for a price he quoted me $293 +tax for camera and the book said it should be 1.3 hours to install. The tech told him to charge 2 hours because that's how long it takes. So he quoted me $525 out the door.
Dropped it at dealer before they opened Thursday morning for my appt and told them I'd be back at 4. Walked in and I see my hood still up and four guys standing around my truck. Was told still not done. Radio was dead too - and that's their fault because it worked when I left it. Left it there overnight because I wasn't leaving with a broken truck. Called me Friday morning saying it was done - said install instructions were wrong and that's what problem was. Original radio works fine after they redid incorrect wiring. When I picked it up the first thing I checked was backup camera. It worked. Second thing I checked was tailgate lock. Didn't freakin work. I stormed in the garage and made them take my truck in and fix it. Took ten minutes to fix. Had the wiring wrong at the tailgate. Total it took them 11.5 hours from time they started til the time they called saying they were done and I paid for 2 hours @ $100/ hour labor. Pain in the ass but everything works as it should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Brennie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like the same problems I had with my truck, but I wasn't smart enough to get a quote first. I'll know for next time.
They finally did get my truck all fixed up after 2 extra trips.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Keep in mind they will charge you 100 to update the computer. Hate stealerships.

Most shops have a minimum labour fee regardless how long it takes, that applies to independents not just DEALERSHIPS. Techs don't work for free.

That being said if you're referring to updating the sales code for a vehicle. We charge 0.5hr. Which works out to about $60 bucks.

butterscotch71

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited Longhorn
Engine
wow...I installed it myself on my last Ram...doubt it took even 3 hours (and I did have to run the wiring)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat