Shake in rear end with new A/T tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramdan32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have a 2014 sport 4x4 and I just put new Kanati Trail Hogs on. They are a much heavier tire but still the same size as the stock ones. I have a shake in the rear end at 70 + mph. Have balanced and rebalanced all the tires, switched them around and still have the same problem. Truck has 80k miles so I’d hope it’s not a “U Joint” but could it be the rear shocks just can’t handle the heavier tire?

CD74A73B-EE97-4171-81D7-6F418627A902.jpeg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Were they spin balanced, or road force balanced. They may spin balance just fine but have bad run out of a slight out of round which road force will pick up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ramdan32

Ramdan32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Were they spin balanced, or road force balanced. They may spin balance just fine but have bad run out of a slight out of round which road force will pick up.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
They were spin balanced twice with no issues.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So based on the thread nothing ever got fixed on that guys truck. He traded it in because they couldn’t figure it out.

yes, but I'm not saying that will be your outcome....just maybe look into that service bulletin after having yours road force balanced.

Use this to locate a shop with the hunter road force balancer

https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700

OP
OP
Ramdan32

Ramdan32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes, but I'm not saying that will be your outcome....just maybe look into that service bulletin after having yours road force balanced.

Use this to locate a shop with the hunter road force balancer

https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700
Okay thanks for the info. I’m dropping it off at the dealership on Monday to let them figure out what’s the deal

Reactions: JB1

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where were your new tires made? I know a lot of people are looking for great deals on tires with them being so expensive nowadays and China is providing a lot of those great deals. Problem is Chinese quality is not that great. Not to mention bigger heavier tires are going to ride worse than the factory tires and vibes and such are going to be more noticeable. I would also have had those rims checked for straightness without the tires. A slightly bent rim would be much less noticeable with a well made tire and a proper balance than the opposite.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I went through this issue with my cooper stt pros. Regular balance 3 times and issue remained, had my local dealer road force balance them and bow they are corrected.

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What tidefan1967 said....Saving money by purchasing off-brand Chinese tires is the wrong place to save. Unless it's a 30-yr old farm truck - never driven on a highway, I would only purchase major (name) brand tires.

They do look nice and beefy though.

OP
OP
Ramdan32

Ramdan32

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update I had them looked at and they decided the tires were out of round. Getting a new set and will have them in this week! Hope that fixes it. However I cannot express the fantastic customer service I received from Simpletire.com.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update I had them looked at and they decided the tires were out of round. Getting a new set and will have them in this week! Hope that fixes it. However I cannot express the fantastic customer service I received from Simpletire.com.

You getting the same brand/size etc?

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i have a 2014 sport 4x4 and I just put new Kanati Trail Hogs on. They are a much heavier tire but still the same size as the stock ones. I have a shake in the rear end at 70 + mph. Have balanced and rebalanced all the tires, switched them around and still have the same problem. Truck has 80k miles so I’d hope it’s not a “U Joint” but could it be the rear shocks just can’t handle the heavier tire?

View attachment 164020

On my Ram had a problem like your describing and it turned out that :Caffeine:on one of my wheels I had a clump of dried up mud stuck to the inside of the wheel it was so dried and hard almost like steel cleaned it out and truck road normal after that P>S had to look really good to see it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDFJNC