Shift Lock Solenoid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
2014 Ram 2500 CTD. Push button starter.

The last few days, it has been cold outside. I will remote start the truck, about 5-10 minutes before walking out. I get in the truck, push the start button, give everything a minute to load, then push the brake to shift out of park.

When pulling the lever out of park, it has been sticking, but only when it is cold. I park my truck inside my garage at night, and have not had any problems leaving from my house, only when leaving from my office.

That is only part 1, while playing with this, I put it in drive, then back to park, took my foot off the brake, and could still shift, even without my foot on the brake. I even turned the truck off, and could still shift without pushing the brake.

I've tried looking up the shift lock, but it sounds like everyone who has issues with this, makes it stick in park. I've read that locked is the normal position, so it requires power to unlock. I would guess it can get stuck in the unlocked position, but since I can't find any information that direction, it would be rare.

I have used the shift lock override button before when pulling my radio out for some wiring. Could that have stuck something? If it did, why is it still trying to work, but only when it is cold inside the truck.

If anyone has any prior experience with these, input would be appreciated.

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There was a recall on this. Not sure it effected Cummins trucks, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I saw a few recalls mentioned in my google search, but didn't seem to apply to my truck for some reason.

I found information explaining where the shifter lock was, and it looked easy enough. I pulled it off last night, and it's a piston with a spring to push it back to the locked position. The piston was a little gunked up and had a hard time moving. I cleaned it up, put a light coat of silicone wd40 on it, and now everything is working like it should.

I'll put a write up with pictures in the DIY section in case anyone else has a similar issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMIMS37