Shorties / LTs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for long tubes you absolutely need a tune. You are flowing way more air than you are with manifolds. you will most likely throw a CEL and also will not be taking advantage of the added performance the LT's would offer.

Now for the shorties. You shouldnt need a tune but I still recommend it. Mostly due to the fact that the shorties will offer a small bump in performance and to take advantage of that you should tune for them. The AFE's are indeed a shorty so a tune should not be necessary.

We like the AFE's due to them being a true complete kit. Unlike the others they have quality bolts and very good gaskets. Most other brands offer gaskets for their shorties that I wouldnt even run on my lawn mower.

Last edited:

Ram04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So this question is also for everyone as well as Nick.
The JBA shorty headers do NOT require a tuner?
ARH, Kooks, SW, JBA Long tubes all require a tuner?
Do the AFE headers require a tuner as they are kinda inbetween a shorty and long tube??

I originally wanted long tubes, had my mind made up. But there seems to be posts popping up here and there with guys having the odd issues with their Diablos (the preferred tuner here it appears). Now I'm one of those people that if someone's gonna have an issue, well that'll end up being me. I'dd rather avoid problems, I am more leaning to a one and done deal. Every time a factory recall comes up - which seems to a lot lately - I don't wanna have to play with the Diablo, then play with it again after coming back from any dealership visit.
I'dd rather fix any possible manifold/bolts issues and be done. Stainless headers apparently will accomplish this. So which to swap out and forget?

Whether or not a tuner is needed has more to do with what size primary the header has and what else you have done to exhaust system.

eg. A set of 1 5/8 LT headers into stock exhaust system will not need a tuner.

A set of 1 3/4 LT headers into stock exhaust system will not need a tuner.

A set of 1 3/4 LT headers into 3" mid pipe with deleted cats most likely will need a tuner as you are promoting the engine to breath higher in rpm range and will not have enough fueling on the stock tune to support the extra flow.

So again, the biggest reason shorty's generally do not need a retune is because they are made with smaller primary pipes and usually installed in mildly modded exhaust systems.

If you had a set of 1 7/8" shorty's with 3" mid pipe and cat delete, you would need a retune just as bad or worse than a set of 1 7/8 LT's!

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recommend you guys checking out the AFE twisted steel shorties. Awesome headers, very high quality using thick flanges and quality steel. Let us know if you would like any pricing
2018 ram 1500 express quad cab 5.7L 4x4. What would price be on a set of AFE shorties ceramic coated

MidwestJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess the next question is... how many people did NOT run the stage8 bolts and just went with the JBA bolts.
Me

I’ve never rechecked them to determine if they’re still tight or not. This was roughly 5 years ago.

I opted for OEM replacement gaskets-not the JBA supplied gaskets based on advice from the forums.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Local exhaust shop said $200 with the snapped bolts so thats a no brainer. If I didnt have any snapped bolts I would do it myself.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tell them to be careful with the gaskets,as they don't really bend all that well. I've used them when broke with no issues,but have since learned to be a little more careful when installing the Remflex gaskets

OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tell them to be careful with the gaskets,as they don't really bend all that well. I've used them when broke with no issues,but have since learned to be a little more careful when installing the Remflex gaskets
Thanks for the tip!!

Factory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Most do shortys to just get rid of the stock manifold bolts, guy did before and after dyno runs with stock manifolds and then shortlys; gained 8HP. LT are for Performance and you get rid of the crapy bolts. As for the heat melting stuff I would recommend ceramic coating. I did on my old 2013 and the coating worked well.

2 yrs , 20 k miles on my uncoated t 304 kooks , nothing melted

6A6B3A64-5A2D-476C-9795-31AF9303C26D.jpeg

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
You guys are forgetting the most important part with your shorty header install which is get the y-pipe where a good pickup of power can be made.

For example. I don't know of every manufacturer that produces these im sure the vendors can take it from here. :D
20181228_222645.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
daveray9

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You guys are forgetting the most important part with your shorty install is get the y-pipe were a good pick up of power can be made.

For example. I don't know of every manufacturer that produces these im sure the vendors can take it from here. :D
View attachment 150504
In Ma if you delete the cats or resinators you will fail inspection. But for the states you wont, at that price point why not just go with LTs?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Ma if you delete the cats or resinators you will fail inspection. But for the states you wont, at that price point why not just go with LTs?

yup and that is not even SS

you can keep the factory cats and piping but have the Y section replaced with a Magnaflow y to get better flow

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yup and that is not even SS

you can keep the factory cats and piping but have the Y section replaced with a Magnaflow y to get better flow

I did both & the AFE y pipe gained a good bit over that. 1st I had the stock cats with a Magnaflow y in place of the factory crushed y. I picked up a little pep & sound by doing that. Was worth it. But then I replaced that with the aluminized AFE y & wow what a difference. It picked up a noticeable amount of power. I dropped a tenth & half in the 1/4 mile over the 1st set up. The AFE y is well worth it. Anyone wanting to but 1 just missed the normal sale they have though. They come down to $420 every yr for Black Friday.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

They have a catted version as well. :D

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

Simply because this thread was about shorty headers instead of Long Tubes