Should I get a block heater?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrs6494

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This will be the 3rd winter that I have had my 06 1500 mega 5.7L truck. Each winter my truck has issues starting when it is cold in the morning. I live in Kansas and this morning got to about 20F. Sometimes it gets colder as the winter progresses. This afternoon when the temperature rose above freezing the truck started fine.

Should I get a block heater for my truck? I was reading up on them and they are not expensive but I saw that you would only use it below 6 degrees or so. Could it just be my truck or would it be best just to get the block heater? Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
On both my current truck and the car I had before, I never bothered to plug in until it hit the -40 range, only time I've ever had a problem with not starting was last winter when the short drives in town killed my battery. If you're having to plug in when it's near the zero mark I think there must be something else going on causing hard starts

Kenny kustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
It hits -50 here in manitoba.
I plug everything in around -20. Makes for faster warm ups and easier starts.

OP
OP
J

jrs6494

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
What would be the cause of hard starts besides the colder weather? Like I said I never have a problem when it's slightly warmer.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Mine cranks more slowly in the cold but the only time it hasn't started is when it sat outside all day in -15°F.

OP
OP
J

jrs6494

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just a lot slower to crank and start. Last year I replaced the battery twice. I think the first battery though was faulty. I also had to get a ride a couple of times from co-workers. Could never figure what was wrong.

Kenny kustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
On one of my jeeps, I ran dual 800cca batteries, and it was a 4 banger!
Mainly for winching, but it sure helped starting!

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Idk if it would affect mds but maybe try a thinner oil than 5w20...would make starting a little easier at least but i know 5w20 is reccomended because of the mds requiring thinner oil but not sure if theres a too thin..

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
Idk if it would affect mds but maybe try a thinner oil than 5w20...would make starting a little easier at least but i know 5w20 is reccomended because of the mds requiring thinner oil but not sure if theres a too thin..

To my knowledge you can get away with 0w-20 in the colder months.

MDS doesn't really get used until the coolant get above 120 so that means the oil has to have gotten some what warm.

Kenny kustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Meh. Get a block heater.
They're cheap and really help the engine during cold starts.

I don't know why, when the temp req it, some people refuse to plug in.
Why not?

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the first vehicle I've had that didn't have a block heater from the factory. I have always plugged my vehicles in when the temps hit single digits and colder (Fahrenheit), not just because it starts easier, but it also warms up a little faster, giving me heat so I'm not freezing on my long drive to work. I'm putting a block heater into this truck on Friday after work. Especially since they are forecasting low single digits this weekend...

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
To my knowledge you can get away with 0w-20 in the colder months.

MDS doesn't really get used until the coolant get above 120 so that means the oil has to have gotten some what warm.
Yes but i guess as long as you go back to factory oil when it warms up outside there should be no issue...im just not sure of any possible issues caused by running thinner than spec'd oil when oil temps are up around 200+...maybe someone else on here does lol?

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Being in Kansas I wouldn't think you would need one, I'd get your battery tested first.

I usually plug my Ram in when it's -20 or colder outside. My wife gets the garage and my Ram gets the street, I recently installed a Northstar group 27F battery which was the largest battery I could drop in. 1750ca for 5 seconds, I don't think I'll have any trouble.

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 1750 you state, is hot cranking amps.
Cold drops to 1000.
Still some great ratings.

I manage a small battery distributor location. 1750ca will put out 1400cca at -18.

I tried to drop a group 31 Northstar in it, it fit but the posts are reversed and didn't have the cable length to make it work. 2150ca on that one, would have been awesome haha

Last edited:

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Last fall my truck was cranking slow. New, quality battery. New starter this summer (started making noise. Syn oil all the time. Thats all you need to start in the winter.

However, if i was ever to move farther north i would think about installing an intelligent battery charger and a oil pan heater. Block heaters just heat the prestone a bit, the oil in the pan is basiclly the same temp as ambient.
Last year the coldest morning i remember starting was -32 celcius on the truck display

Kenny kustom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I manage a small battery distributor location. 1750ca will put out 1400cca at -18.

I tried to drop a group 31 Northstar in it, it fit but the posts are reversed and didn't have the cable length to make it work. 2150ca on that one, would have been awesome haha

I was just going off their own site.
They state 1080 cca.
But if you say 1400....

MIKE177

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 97 2500 gasser just sat out in North Dakota the last five day's and I started this morning it fired right up. You may have a issue.