Should I get a block heater?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMagnum2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Now whether or not it will fix your starting issue, no idea. Possibly. But really it can't hurt to add one. I added one on my truck. I live in Georgia. It very rarely gets down to single digit temperatures (F). But I used to plug it in every night just so I would have some heat sooner in the mornings

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I live in MN and sometimes -20F and below is touch and go. Get the block heater it is cheap and easy to install. Also the best oil to run in the truck you have is 0w-30 synthetic it will be the very best flowing on cold mornings. It will flow better than 5w-20 and still be the viscosity recommended for that truck when warmed up. I always run 0w oils here in MN they are the best because they provide a large range of protection temps. With the Hemi installing a block heater is easy too you don't even have to mess with the coolant the block heater goes into a cylinder in the exhaust manifold.

Ramguy65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use a good quality full synthetic oil like Amsoil. I live in Canada where the temps drop to -20 to -30F on a regular basis in the winter. My truck starts no problem without having to plug it in.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like classic starter to me. Throw an amp clamp on the battery cable and see what it is pulling.

Bad ground sometimes can react like battery and/or starter but is usually more intermittent and definitely gets worse with time.