should i or shouldnt i

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dodgerammag59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 5.9 off road package with a factory lift. I ordered an add a leaf and leveling kit from summit racing. I've heard because the truck already has a factory lift, if I install these parts I will run into problems. Does anyone know the answer or if I will run into problems

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
This is ez, your truck has a 1.5"-2.0" factory lift, you can go up to 3" of lift without too much work/parts but after that much more is needed. So if the leveling kit puts you over the 3" mark then more parts will be needed like, longer control arm, drop pitman arm, some flavor of adjustable trac-bar, longer shocks. If the leveling kit is just 2" longer replacement springs nothing lift wise will be gained, you would need spring spacers or a 5" spring to gain lift. Hope that helps.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Ok fine by me, your truck will dog track (wearing out tires), alignment will be out of spec, the front diff will be moved back about a 1" from where it should be and your shocks will be too short.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
By dog track I believe he means the front end will shake like holy hell cause of the wrong track bar. I tried putting a stock track bar on mine with a 6" lift. Big mistake.......i then had to order the proper one from skyjacker and replace my front tires. By the time I was done it was about a 675 dollar lesson when I should of done it right in the first place lol :) mines all good now after I re did everything with the proper parts it may cist a lil more but it was worth it in the end believe me

OP
OP
D

dodgerammag59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I guess I'll wait till I get enough money to get the BDS 3 " long arm lift. That thing is like $1800

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Basically if you don't do a ton of off roading, you can get by with stock control arms and an adjustable track bar. I think you'll need longer shocks though. The stockers can only handle 3in.

OP
OP
D

dodgerammag59

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Thx for the input. I'm glad I joined the forum. My lift is gonna have to wait cause now I need calipers a u joint and I have a spark knock the we have to figure out

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Got spark knock? Blown plenum and clogging cat.

Without doubt.