Shudder in OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I have a 2004 5.7 with a 545RFE. Trans was rebuilt about 30k miles ago with “upgraded” TC (no idea what “upgrades” means from this guy as I no longer trust him or go to him) with a “shift kit” (again, quotes because who knows if it’s an actual upgrade or snake oil). Now when it shifts into OD (50-60mph) the truck shudders constantly and like crazy to the point where it’ll actually shake the truck and effect steering. Tap the throttle a little harder to come out of OD and it all goes away. WOT and there’s no misfire but the gears do hang a bit after coming off throttle. I did have a CEL for a misfire recently but I changed the two plugs in that cylinder and swapped the coil pack with the other bank incase it happened again and the CEL traveled with the coil pack. No misfire since. Is this a torque converter going bad yet again or even the whole TC and trans? Maybe a misfire that hasn’t thrown a code yet? Could use some help here

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Only experience I've had with a shudder into O/D was a Nissan. That being said they replaced the tranny under warranty. Didnt think twice about adjusting or repairing, just swapped it out.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would do the simple things first.

(1) check fluid level with engine hot and running while in neutral, E-brake engaged on level ground.

(2) make sure mounting bolts on trans and TC are drawn.

The 545RFE consistantly delivers 200k in service miles.....can't imagine it's going out again.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
And it could be an unbalanced tire/ball joint that shows up at 50 mph......lifted vehicles, especially Jeeps are famous for this.
You can Google it.

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would do the simple things first.

(1) check fluid level with engine hot and running while in neutral, E-brake engaged on level ground.

The 545RFE consistantly delivers 200k in service miles.....can't imagine it's going out again.

Thanks. Going to check it next weekend when I get the time to. Today is wet and crappy and my week is always full.

And it could be an unbalanced tire/ball joint that shows up at 50 mph......lifted vehicles, especially Jeeps are famous for this.
You can Google it.

My tires could be unbalanced, and I have lifted it and thrown chunkier 33s on, but I the problem would be at that speed regardless of OD or not. When I kick it out of OD and accelerate through that speed in a lower gear the shuddering doesn’t happen. Definite performance loss. Hopefully the checks pan out and reveal low fluid or something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If the code followed the coil, then I would replace the coil.

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

1) I checked the fluid level when hot in neutral on level ground. Is it possible to be too full to cause this problem? Doesn’t seem WAAAY over but it’s above the hot line.

2) what do you mean by bolts being drawn and where are they located. Do you mean bell housing to engine block or underside or...? And are there exposed bolts relating to the tc outside the trans case or is this inside? If inside then I won’t be able to get to them without dropping the trans

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just trying to figure the shudder your describing in my head.

A friend of mine recently had a shudder and found his transfer case mounting bolts " exposed "were loose.

I do a lot of heavy towing and lost 4 transmissions over time and experienced slipping as they were expiring, never shuddering.

Regarding your Tranny fluid......slightly over is fine and won't cause issues.
I run all my fluids on the high side.

If you sure it's a transmission issue than if it were me, I'd drop the pan, replace the 2 filters, replace gasket and Add ATF 4 transmission fluid.

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm just trying to figure the shudder your describing in my head.

A friend of mine recently had a shudder and found his transfer case mounting bolts " exposed "were loose.

I do a lot of heavy towing and lost 4 transmissions over time and experienced slipping as they were expiring, never shuddering.

Regarding your Tranny fluid......slightly over is fine and won't cause issues.
I run all my fluids on the high side.

If you sure it's a transmission issue than if it were me, I'd drop the pan, replace the 2 filters, replace gasket and Add ATF 4 transmission fluid.

Ah TC as in transfer case. I thought you meant torque converter. Yeah I can check them as I’ve had a little work done on it lately but it was happening before that. I could drop the pan and change em out. I’ve been thinking about doing that too. Was reading on forumz that it could be the fuel pump not providing enough pressure too. I could see that also as I haven’t touched that one. Might have that test run on it

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Figured it out. As I was heading up to the trans shop for a diagnosis, the truck threw a code. Checked it and sure enough it was P0307. Misfire in cylinder 7. Replaced the ignition coil and now it’s all good

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Thanks for getting back and letting us know. Glad you figured it out.