So I got in an accident today....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's the need for a lawyer ? Typically insurance companies will pay for medical bills up to a certain point. Seeing as you only had a mild concussion, and sprain, I wouldn't think they would fight you for it.. I was in a motorcycle accident, and had hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills, their insurance company paid with a mere request. My own insurance even picked up some of the tab.

Skerj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What's the need for a lawyer ? Typically insurance companies will pay for medical bills up to a certain point. Seeing as you only had a mild concussion, and sprain, I wouldn't think they would fight you for it.. I was in a motorcycle accident, and had hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills, their insurance company paid with a mere request. My own insurance even picked up some of the tab.

Yeah no need to get suit happy yet. As long as you document the initial injuries most states ensure that it's covered for up to usually 5 to 7 years regarding recurring issues, or you sign, saying you get $x up front and won't sue later for additional compensation. And if it's not fixed or someone isnt paying that's when you lawyer up. Definitely push for lost value in the truck though.

Hope everything works out and you and your truck are good to go soon.

PS: The physics nerd in me has to ask how was a car able to accelerate enough over the course of 20 feet of stop and go traffic to obliterate the front of his car and toss you and your 5000 plus lb truck around enough to cause what sounds like frame, transmission, and suspension damage?

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L

Exactly correct. Insurance is a highly regulated industry these days. The days in the 60s where the big bad insurance company was out to screw people over is largely over due to the governmental oversight. If at some point you feel like you're not being treated fairly, then seek legal council.

Sitff happens. It's part of life here on earth. It's unfortunate, but we all make mistakes. It's not like the guy that hit your truck wanted that to happen.

Insurance is a for profit business. The only thing that frivolous lawsuits do is drive up premiums for the customers. Then people complain about the increases in their insurance premiums. The money has to come from somewhere. If an insurance company is losing money from paying too much on claims, legal expenses, staff salaries, etc, and their ROE is not enough to offset those losses, the doors eventually close.

Just like we all complain about the rising cost of health insurance, then watch people getting multi million dollar malpractice settlements. Again, most are for profit. Again, it has to come from somewhere. It's time that kind of stuff has limits legislated in place or the costs are only going to keep going up.

Lawyers have their place and at times yes, are needed, but not automatically in every case. Just my .02.

MEchase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just like we all complain about the rising cost of health insurance, then watch people getting multi million dollar malpractice settlements. Again, most are for profit. Again, it has to come from somewhere. It's time that kind of stuff has limits legislated in place or the costs are only going to keep going up.

Like half the cost of an anesthesiologist goes towards their malpractice insurance. They are the doctors most likely to get sued and they have to pay higher premiums.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL. What was the extent of the damage on your Laramie?

minor body damage to the bed in front of the tire, wheel/tire, bearing in the axle, but the axle was ok.

heck i think the claim for 900 for the 3 car seats i had in there was about 1/3 of the total amount.

init6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The "idea" behind suing is if something happens to you that impacts your future earning potential by disabling you from continuing to function on a daily basis. It's not meant to be a windfall which is what it is today.

If you die because of someone else's stupidity or incompetence then your spouse and kids should be compensated for your loss of income. Same if you are a construction worker and you get crippled. Etc, etc.

If you get in a car accident and basically your pride is hurt then sorry. If your vehicle gets fixed and any medical bills needed to restore you to service (and missed work due to the situation) then all is well right? Should be, but 'Murica!

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Holy OUCH!!!!!!

Still even in that impact the ram held up well IMO in comparison

"Holding up well" isn't necessarily a good thing. If it kept its shape, that energy had to dissipate somewhere, more often than not, into the soft humans on board. Thats the whole theory behind crumple zones.

RCFiddyOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
"Holding up well" isn't necessarily a good thing. If it kept its shape, that energy had to dissipate somewhere, more often than not, into the soft humans on board. Thats the whole theory behind crumple zones.

I was on the interstate doing about 60 when he hit me doing 80+. There was some frame damage as well as the bed denting the back of the cab. That one pic doesn't tell the whole story. Walked away with a concussion and a sprained wrist but at least I walked away.

Shady

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ok, this a long one, but it's a cautionary tale.
I got rear ended in my new 3500 in November. I was stopped in traffic on the hwy and the guy that hit me was going 45-55. Said he got off the gas, but never got on the brake. About $6500 worth of repairs, no frame damage. His 3/4 ton GMC was totaled.
It gave me a pretty good snap and I was feeling a little stiff and sore in my neck. I figured I could walk it off.
Now I know that I've got 3 years to settle up with the guys insurance company (in my state), so I decided to just give it a little time before I talked with them, just to be sure everything was cool. For 4 weeks things didn't really get worse, or better. Then the day after Christmas I woke up in agony. My neck was killing me and the pain radiated down my right arm. I had been laying by the pool in Mexico for a week and had done nothing more strenuous than lift cold beers. My 2nd week in Mexico sucked as I couldn't even get out of bed. When I got home I went to the doc and tried to do an MRI. Just laying on the table with my head in the bucket was unbearable. The doc prescribed some oxycodone which I loaded up on before trying again a couple of days later. Another fail on the MRI. Finally, a couple days later, a bigger dose of narcotics and finally was able to grit out the procedure. Turns out I had two herniated discs in my neck and severe stenosis of my spinal cord and nerves going down into my right arm.
So, I ended up having spinal surgery 3 weeks ago. I've been out of work. My pain is finally getting better, but my trigger finger and thumb are still completely numb. The neurosurgeon can't say how much feeling, if any will come back.
Bottom line is, I'm glad I waited to settle. I am going to lawyer up to be sure the medical bills are all paid and they cover my time off work.
My advice is, don't rush to settle. See how much time you have, then give it some time to see how you feel. When in doubt, talk to a good lawyer, not one of those crooks that advertise on tv. If you find a good one, they will tell you honestly if you need their services or not. Insurance companies have lots of lawyers that are there to be sure the insurance pays out as little as possible. Sometimes you need to lawyer up to level the playing field and protect yourself.
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you feel better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

MEchase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got rear ended in my new 3500 in November. I was stopped in traffic on the hwy and the guy that hit me was going 45-55. Said he got off the gas, but never got on the brake. About $6500 worth of repairs, no frame damage. His 3/4 ton GMC was totaled.
It gave me a pretty good snap and I was feeling a little stiff and sore in my neck. I figured I could walk it off.
Now I know that I've got 3 years to settle up with the guys insurance company (in my state), so I decided to just give it a little time before I talked with them, just to be sure everything was cool. For 4 weeks things didn't really get worse, or better. Then the day after Christmas I woke up in agony. My neck was killing me and the pain radiated down my right arm. I had been laying by the pool in Mexico for a week and had done nothing more strenuous than lift cold beers. My 2nd week in Mexico sucked as I couldn't even get out of bed. When I got home I went to the doc and tried to do an MRI. Just laying on the table with my head in the bucket was unbearable. The doc prescribed some oxycodone which I loaded up on before trying again a couple of days later. Another fail on the MRI. Finally, a couple days later, a bigger dose of narcotics and finally was able to grit out the procedure. Turns out I had two herniated discs in my neck and severe stenosis of my spinal cord and nerves going down into my right arm.
So, I ended up having spinal surgery 3 weeks ago. I've been out of work. My pain is finally getting better, but my trigger finger and thumb are still completely numb. The neurosurgeon can't say how much feeling, if any will come back.
Bottom line is, I'm glad I waited to settle. I am going to lawyer up to be sure the medical bills are all paid and they cover my time off work.
My advice is, don't rush to settle. See how much time you have, then give it some time to see how you feel. When in doubt, talk to a good lawyer, not one of those crooks that advertise on tv. If you find a good one, they will tell you honestly if you need their services or not. Insurance companies have lots of lawyers that are there to be sure the insurance pays out as little as possible. Sometimes you need to lawyer up to level the playing field and protect yourself.

That sucks hard, I hope the recovery continues to improve.

This just goes to show, not all problems present themselves instantaneously. Sometimes it takes WEEKS. This can be a long process and you won't be the only case the insurance company has. It's not like they are going to be sitting around the phone waiting on your call or hounding you daily. Take your time, make sure you are healthy.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7

i was going to like your post more so for the recommendations but not the injury.

Even from the little t-bone i was in (pics shown above in the post) i waited before i went in. I was thrown down the road going side to side. about 3 weeks after my accident i started to get pain in my leg and because of insurance i never saw any bills.

i would also agree to wait a while to see if there is any lasting problems before even thinking about a lawyer. once you start a lawsuit you are responsible for any medical damage and not the insurance companies.

2015HD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sucks and I totally agree which is why I recommend a lawyer to begin with. My x-wife and now my daughter went through very similar situations. My x-wife has had back / next issues for 30 years and now my 20 YO daughter can't work for 8 hours without being in agony (pain in back shooting down leg). IMO If you end up in the hospital after an accident don't be too quick to settle just to get your car fixed. If you are back in for more pain issues days or weeks later, call a lawyer.

Also, my daughter 'Lawyer up' two weeks after the accident and the other insurance company is still paying her medical bills while this is being hashed out. They also paid her for her totaled vehicle, it just added a week to the process. I think some of that stuff depends of what the state laws are.

The Hulk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck doesn't look horrible. Hope you feel better. My truck was 5700 in damage his way worse...

9A9E2F42-C6E8-4CC2-B247-4FEF6E57CF18_zpsgi5axonz.jpg

8E043E2D-ADF1-4CA7-9120-90CF5B11BAB5_zpsjwbj0apu.jpg

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Your truck doesn't look horrible. Hope you feel better. My truck was 5700 in damage his way worse...

9A9E2F42-C6E8-4CC2-B247-4FEF6E57CF18_zpsgi5axonz.jpg

8E043E2D-ADF1-4CA7-9120-90CF5B11BAB5_zpsjwbj0apu.jpg

I've noticed that those bull bars often just seem to supply extra leverage for extra damage. They probably keep the occasional branch away from your headlights, and MAY bounce a small deer out of the way a little better, but in a real accident, I don't see them doing much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've noticed that those bull bars often just seem to supply extra leverage for extra damage. They probably keep the occasional branch away from your headlights, and MAY bounce a small deer out of the way a little better, but in a real accident, I don't see them doing much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90% of the bull bars sold are no more than decoration. Looking at the metal used and the mounting brackets they would be lucky to stand up to anything more than a rabbit. If you want something that is going to stand up to deer or bigger you are into a big unit, likely weighing more than 200-300lbs for the bars and bolted to the bumper mounting brackets.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
90% of the bull bars sold are no more than decoration. Looking at the metal used and the mounting brackets they would be lucky to stand up to anything more than a rabbit. If you want something that is going to stand up to deer or bigger you are into a big unit, likely weighing more than 200-300lbs for the bars and bolted to the bumper mounting brackets.
Many mount to the frame where the tow hooks attach.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

TEXAS-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought this truck 3 months ago :-( I haven't even made my 3rd payment yet. And now the trucks value (CarFax) just dropped hard. Now I've got a truck I'm paying for that just dropped in resale value by atleast 25-30%. I am NOT happy about that at all.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Glad you are OK...but you were 100% correct when you said the value of your truck just dropped 25-30%. I know a guy that owns 4 car dealerships and have bought a few used cars myself. If there is "anything" on that Carfax...even minor damage you will take a 25% hit when you trade it in or sell it. Sure some people will not worry about it but most will..and any car lot will ding you for sure.

You need to talk to the other guys insurance and file a diminished value claim where you can ask for at least get 15-25% of the KBB trade in value of the truck's value today. I know people that have got it without even using a lawyer.

They will argue with you...but then eventually pay you if you persist. They know you are entitled to it.

Chill72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you are OK...but you were 100% correct when you said the value of your truck just dropped 25-30%. I know a guy that owns 4 car dealerships and have bought a few used cars myself. If there is "anything" on that Carfax...even minor damage you will take a 25% hit when you trade it in or sell it. Sure some people will not worry about it but most will..and any car lot will ding you for sure.

You need to talk to the other guys insurance and file a diminished value claim where you can ask for at least get 15-25% of the KBB trade in value of the truck's value today. I know people that have got it without even using a lawyer.

They will argue with you...but then eventually pay you if you persist. They know you are entitled to it.
You're kidding, right? His truck isnt worth enough money to go through all the hassle of diminished value claim...which BTW is not recognized by all the states. Not to mention lawyers.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Diminished Value claim shouldn't be a hassle at all. Just go get an auto appraisal/inspection. It's a real thing and insurance companies are none to happy about it. I suppose there may be state laws to look into but the concept doesn't really know any borders. Your truck is worth less post accident even with the damage repaired.

predat-r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Hope everything works out sorry to hear about the accident.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk