some slop in the steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
which of these actually cures the problem correctly? or are they both a waste of money?

'Rock Solid' Ram Truck Steering !

Dodge Ram Steering Gear Box Stabilizer

Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix I have yet to hear negative about.

Steering Box stabilizers are a sham if you ask me. Check all your steering components and look for play. Could also replace the steering box with a high quality Borgeson or Red Head. The refurb boxes are mainly just new seals and such, they havent actually removed play from the gear box it self so while you may notice a slight improvement, it wont be very much.

RVMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those do different things, you need to check where the play is coming from 1st.
if the play is between the wheel and the gearbox the rock solid will fix it.
If the play is in the gearbox the steering stabilizer will help it but only slightly.
This thread will show you how to remove almost every bit of play from the gearbox, & its very easy just do slight adjustments at a time.

http://www.ramforum.com/f77/sloppy_steering_adjustment-1078/

If you have no play in or before the gearbox need to move on to the tie rod ends and ball joints. neither of these will correct issuses in this area.

themoparkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
The steering slop, i've seen it a number of 2nd gen's, is the sector shaft on the steering box. I had a friend move the wheel back and forth, the sector shaft moved side to side. You can get a new replacement gearbox and you'll have the same problem. I've had the stabilizer for over a year and it keeps the front end tight.

As far as the "Rock Solid" Ram Truck Steering bushing, you'll have to put more effort in turning the wheel when its cold. The "tie" the guy supplies is useless. This worries me as well, you'll be able to pull the steering up. I also see a design flaw and this is why Chrysler put a spring at the end. The FSM doesn't go in depth with the steering column but I found out when I rebuilt my column. Theres 2 ball bearings, one on the top and bottom. Theres a wedge that keeps the shaft from having play inside the bearing bore, top and bottom. That spring keeps the load on the top and bottom bearing wedges and keeps the shaft fixed.

If you steering column "vibrates" over rough roads or bumps, then your intermediate shaft is frozen. If you can't move the intermediate shaft up or down. You'll need to take it out, remove the dust boot and soak it with PB Blaster. Use a hammer to work it in and out (don't hit the u-joints). Eventually it'll break loose. Once thats done, grease it and zip tie the dust boot.

OP
OP

98RAM5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
The steering slop, i've seen it a number of 2nd gen's, is the sector shaft on the steering box. I had a friend move the wheel back and forth, the sector shaft moved side to side. You can get a new replacement gearbox and you'll have the same problem. I've had the stabilizer for over a year and it keeps the front end tight.

As far as the "Rock Solid" Ram Truck Steering bushing, you'll have to put more effort in turning the wheel when its cold. The "tie" the guy supplies is useless. This worries me as well, you'll be able to pull the steering up. I also see a design flaw and this is why Chrysler put a spring at the end. The FSM doesn't go in depth with the steering column but I found out when I rebuilt my column. Theres 2 ball bearings, one on the top and bottom. Theres a wedge that keeps the shaft from having play inside the bearing bore, top and bottom. That spring keeps the load on the top and bottom bearing wedges and keeps the shaft fixed.

If you steering column "vibrates" over rough roads or bumps, then your intermediate shaft is frozen. If you can't move the intermediate shaft up or down. You'll need to take it out, remove the dust boot and soak it with PB Blaster. Use a hammer to work it in and out (don't hit the u-joints). Eventually it'll break loose. Once thats done, grease it and zip tie the dust boot.

so the stabilizer worked huh? did you get the exact one i linked to? and where in pa are you from? im near scranton

themoparkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I have the same one you have. I have no front suspension issues after the installation. Very important to keep that bearing greased often.

I'm located in Lehigh County. About 2 hours south of Scranton.

OP
OP

98RAM5.9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have the same one you have. I have no front suspension issues after the installation. Very important to keep that bearing greased often.

I'm located in Lehigh County. About 2 hours south of Scranton.

thats cool, i used to go down that way all the time (the lehigh valley) what do you think about adjusting the steering box? my dad doesnt think its a good idea and hes a mechanic, but you seem to know your stuff too so id like your opinion

themoparkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I wouldn't adjust the steering box. I don't think thats part of the culprit. However, I would go over the front end. Keep the truck on the ground, have someone move the steering wheel. Someone under the truck looking for any movement in the linkage or any noises. Also important to keep the front end greased.

There's not much to do in the valley. Its actually boring. Up north theres more to do. My brother has a house up there, so I visit frequently.