Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
Hi All,

Looking for advice: 2017 Ram 1500 Sport Night Edition 4x4...brakes are squealing quite loudly on routine stops. Just under 55k miles. I'm in Orlando, FL so we've got a lot of stop signs and stop lights where I drive. I also notice a slight groan in my brakes when letting off or coming to a stop sometimes.

I bought used at 32k miles and the original brakes are still on the truck. I feel like I should get a lot more life out of the original pads.

Do I just need to get glaze off? Or is this a sign of a brake issue? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't know why you think the pad should go more then 55k miles, it is likely the wear warning clip doing it's job. I like wagner oex as a replacement, low dusting and great design dissipates heat.

Wear_Indicator_1_nobackground.png

roductIMG_-630x500_OEx-revised.png?v=1474291313417.png

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Lmao you have 55k miles on a 3-4 year old truck, and you are surprised the brakes are bad?!? Most new vehicles need new brakes at 36k-40k. Maybe 50k max. Even less if you tow heavy weight a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just googled average life of a brake pad the first thread said 30k miles.

It is an easy dyi job and cheap, and likely only need fronts as they always wear out first. But still I'd check the backs just the same. I'd say you probably don't need rotors, the will usually last two pads, but every situation is different. It is way easier if you just replace pads, literally all you need to do is remove caliper bracket and pop them out and out good ones back.

But, now for the bad news, 100% your brake fluid is toast. A little harder then replacing brake pads, but still very dyi doable. Since is sounds like maybe you like to extend things, I'd go redline 600 x4 pints for replacement, the life of this fluid is way over oem fluid. It would take me an hour to do all this in my driveway. With like 3 tools, caliper wrench and bleed nut wrench, and some tubing with an old bottle. If you want to dyi and you never done it, I can post some vids, let me know.

I'd say if you are gonna bleed brakes, mise well do back pads as well?

I forgot one more tool, you will need a c clamp for the caliper piston, and a piece of wood or metal that will cover the piston.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WhiteNight

WhiteNight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L V8
All,

Apparently I was uninformed - I could've sworn I'd seen others comment that they've gotten much longer life out of their brake pads.

I'm in the middle of a bunch with work and won't have the time to DIY but am heading for an oil change early next week, so I'll have new pads put on then...hopefully that'll be all it needs.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Look at the fluid in the master cylinder reservoir, I'd bet more then a nickle it is black. So if they will do pads, good time for them to flush it. Usually less then 150 bucks, but very necessary. Big chains under 100 bucks. Acid level builds up when it's black and corrodes brake lines and internal workings of brakes, if you put this item off it is one of those items that can cost you thousands at a later date. good luck, burla

ParamG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I wouldn't do the brake fluid change unless you know what your doing it can damage the teuck if you don't fill it back properly.

Also pads at 40k miles is about all my ram ever lasted

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That's where I bought mine, right at $55 plus tax.

You didnt get them last year? Man amazon I got both sets in the low 40's, I see the price did go up. Real happy so far, like no dusting. You guys with oex get any dusting?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didnt get them last year? Man amazon I got both sets in the low 40's, I see the price did go up. Real happy so far, like no dusting. You guys with oex get any dusting?
No I just got mine like 3 weeks ago. So far so good although I've only got a couple hundred miles on them. Definitely a big improvement over the OEM pads!

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone running them with drilled/slotted rotors? Curious on the dust level then...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is a timely thread as I just crossed 39k miles on my 2015 and the brakes make tons of noise when coming to a stop. Its not a squeal but a low pitched groaning sound. Its embarrassing, especially in low speed, multiple stopping situations like in a fast food drive through.

I bought all new hardware for the front and rear because it really sucks when you find out you cannot re-use something and don't have it (looking at you, caliper slide pins!) while your truck is in a million pieces.

I also bought a full Max Brakes slotted rotor kit but I'll probably go with Wagner OEX pads. I just have to wait until the auto hobby shop on base reopens.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
My brakes were squeeking at 10,000 miles lol.
Just had the back ones done last week. truck has 45,000.
2017 3500.
I had an '09 Silverado before this and changed my front brakes at 120,000. Mechanic said they still had a third of the pad left!

DieselMike29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'm not sure I saw anyone mention that HOW you drive is just as, if not MORE, important to how long your pads/disks/etc last. Do a braking distance test every time you stop compared to coasting half the block to the next traffic light - the coasting will WIN every time. (But even the little old ladies will be honking their horns at you if you let your vehicle coast for half a block!)

Did someone mention how much LOAD you have in your vehicle affects brake wear too? And of course, how you drive with that load too.

Actually, mileage has almost nothing to do with how long your brakes last. Driving at 30 MPH and stopping every 300 ft (or so - block lengths differ) will wear down the brakes MUCH faster than will driving 100000 miles on the interstate.