Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure I saw anyone mention that HOW you drive is just as, if not MORE, important to how long your pads/disks/etc last. Do a braking distance test every time you stop compared to coasting half the block to the next traffic light - the coasting will WIN every time. (But even the little old ladies will be honking their horns at you if you let your vehicle coast for half a block!)

Did someone mention how much LOAD you have in your vehicle affects brake wear too? And of course, how you drive with that load too.

Actually, mileage has almost nothing to do with how long your brakes last. Driving at 30 MPH and stopping every 300 ft (or so - block lengths differ) will wear down the brakes MUCH faster than will driving 100000 miles on the interstate.

Absolutely. I don't tow and when i haul anything substantial it's typically at most 6-7 times a year for a day. 85% of my driving is highway. I also don't drive like a teenager. I average 60k on brakes. 45k on tires. And i could probably go longer. My father had an Acura he sold with 120k miles with original brakes.

Towing and hauling aside, if people just learned how to drive "normally" they would save themselves a lot of $$. Amazes me how many people brake late and hard. They see a red light ahead and instead of letting off the gas and starting to brake gently they just keep powering up to it then jamming on the brakes. Same with when you know you are going to turn in somewhere and not slowing down early. You aren't saving any time by driving aggressive like that. Just killing your brakes and making crap slide around the bed of your truck.

My full time job is running the fastest mode of ground transportation in the US. I hit 150MPH every day i work and brake hundreds of times. There is a science to braking and acceleration times without hurting on time performance. And i can tell you it's not braking at the last minute hard.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Absolutely. I don't tow and when i haul anything substantial it's typically at most 6-7 times a year for a day. 85% of my driving is highway. I also don't drive like a teenager. I average 60k on brakes. 45k on tires. And i could probably go longer. My father had an Acura he sold with 120k miles with original brakes.

Towing and hauling aside, if people just learned how to drive "normally" they would save themselves a lot of $$. Amazes me how many people brake late and hard. They see a red light ahead and instead of letting off the gas and starting to brake gently they just keep powering up to it then jamming on the brakes. Same with when you know you are going to turn in somewhere and not slowing down early. You aren't saving any time by driving aggressive like that. Just killing your brakes and making crap slide around the bed of your truck.

My full time job is running the fastest mode of ground transportation in the US. I hit 150MPH every day i work and brake hundreds of times. There is a science to braking and acceleration times without hurting on time performance. And i can tell you it's not braking at the last minute hard.

I drive an over loaded 1 ton GM daily,easily get 300,000 kilometers out of the brakes.Only one in the company that does though,even the boss doesn't know how i get that kind of milege out of the brakes,like i told him,i grew up driving 5 ton grain trucks,that might of had 1 brake working if they were lucky,lol. Pulled the pads on my 14 a month ago,with 80,000 clics on it,pads are still like new,and i drag race the truck weekly,lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I drive an over loaded 1 ton GM daily,easily get 300,000 kilometers out of the brakes.Only one in the company that does though,even the boss doesn't know how i get that kind of milege out of the brakes,like i told him,i grew up driving 5 ton grain trucks,that might of had 1 brake working if they were lucky,lol. Pulled the pads on my 14 a month ago,with 80,000 clics on it,pads are still like new,and i drag race the truck weekly,lol

Grandpa, you new nick is GRANDPA...

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My rear caliper busted at 40K.... lol... You made it further....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Grandpa, you new nick is GRANDPA...

If i'm not racing,i've been known to dawdle a bit Mike,lol. My wife can go through brakes like there's no tomorrow though,her old 16 Challenger had 21,000 clics or just under 13,000miles on it,when we traded it off,and it was due for front pads at that time,aarrgghh,lol.I used to ***** about it,but all that did was get me trouble,lol

Tom6363

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4x4
Engine
6.4/3.73
It's all about how you drive your truck. '14, 2500 with a 6.4 towing my quads, boat and jet skis and I'm just this weekend changing my pads at 83k. Drive it like you stole it and you'll have to replace the pads more often, drive it like you're the one paying for the repairs and the truck lasts a lot longer. I know this is true because I've had teenage sons.