Stock Goodyear Wrangler sr-a snow traction question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
FWIW, I drove home in "snowpocalypse 2014" with the stock good years...........in 2WD! I am not a big fan but they are adequate.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
True till it hurts. A lot of variables that apply. I bought my 14 Sport QC Hemi with 13K miles on it in early December with the std tires. Shortly afterwards we had several heavy rains. No LSD so one rear tire spun on acceleration in the rain. Put it in 4WD Auto and like a new truck. No issues. We have now graduated to complete winter with snow, slippery roads and even ice at times. In 4WD Auto it performs quite well and is stable to drive. In one-wheel drive no so much but eventhough I know there are better tires out there, I'm satisfied with the OEM Goodyears. I'll buy a better tire when I need to but that's way down the road.

If you just don't like the OEM's talk to the Ram dealer and also the local Goodyear dealer about trading them right off the new truck.

Any other way will get pricey quick.

What I think is lost on some is that most tires are a compromise, especially the "All Season" or "Mud & Snow" types. Most will do it all ok but you get into the heavy margins of weather on either end, that is where you get into the failure points and then people complain when they should have had a dedicated season tire to begin with.

BigA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi Etorque
Yea, the snow traction isn't bad in my opinion, my last truck had them and it was a 2wd without limited slip and I still got around in the snow. Wet traction in rain is where they really suck.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with some folks here...its kinda wierd how my 2012 ram handles pretty well in snow, but man...a quick rain shower, or drizzle, and those stock tires are not fun to either start from a light, or making a turn and the back starts to slip a little and you see the anti-slip icon pop up on the dash.

Replaced my stock tires with cooper discoverer rtx and after about 2 months, they handle great in the rain. Big diffence. Now let's see how the 2 feet of snow we will receive in the philly area.

In 2013, the truck ran well in the deep snow (over a foot), but in the rain just handles poorly even from the begining. To each it's own.

** smiling pile of poo**

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SR-A tires are what they are, a relatively inexpensive OE tire. For me, they are no better or worse than the OE tires I've had on other new vehicles.

I haven't had a problem with them, including driving in the torrential downpours we get in SE Texas. Snow and ice are a rare occurrence and when it happens here, I keep my happy **** home and watch the demolition derby on TV.

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Goodyear SRA's are absolutely terrible in the snow. I work in a tire shop and just by looking at the tread design I can tell they suck. I ended up running them last winter on my 14' Express and ended up getting new tires after only about 1000 miles on the truck.

butterscotch71

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited Longhorn
Engine
On my old truck (2wd) I would swap out the 20" wheels and tires for factory TRX 17"/goodyears. Those tires were good in the snow. With the new truck I decided to see how the stock 20s would do. So far they've been decent in the snow but I also have 4wd. I figure after they have a few miles on them I won't be as impressed.

Mulls1234

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hated the stock tires on my 2013 & on my 2015...had toyo open country at 2 extremes on my 15' and loved them!

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have posted before but I am not sure why some owners are having such big issues in the wet with the OEM tires. We went from OKC to Little Rock in a torrential downpour (after years of drought the Okla/Texas area got hit with tons of rain in May 2015) with hundreds of cars on the side of the Interstate. I followed a semi for at least an hour and had exactly zero issues. Once he turned off I was on my own and you guessed it, no issues. Oh and I never did engage the 4x4 feature.

With the OEM GY tires I have to really feather the gas pedal to not spin the wheels on wet roads, when starting from a complete stop.
They weren't bad for the first year, but feel harder and harder on the road as the tread wears.

I haven't had any issues with hydroplaning. They just don't grip wet pavement very well. But for an LT tire, they've been decent in most other conditions.
They're really not all that bad for a factory tire, but it seems to me that there are better options out there.